"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #21
Head Chef

Good one Smoke King!

I know this thread is about giving gifts or not, but I really enjoy gifts that someone baked or made. For most of us we can buy or already have everything we really need but something homemade is very special.

We do buy for the kids in the family and token gifts for adults. I don't expect that will change. In the grand scheme of things, since we don't go overboard, it won't change my $$$ situation.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #22
Executive Chef

No presents to my family from me. I simply don't like them well enough to give them anything and my teen is too greedy right now to deserve anything other than a lump of coal.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Not sure what an unnecessary gift is.

Within the family, we gift our children and grandchildren. We had agreed years ago with our siblings that we would no longer exchange gifts. Beyond that, little kids in the family get gifts.

I choose to give a gift to the woman who has been cutting my hair for the past 10 years. That's important to me as a way to say thank you for continued great service and to say our relationship is important to me.

While I don't go into debt for gifts, I don't think it's evil to do so. It's just a matter of how you choose to use your resources.

If your debt is out of control and causing you serious financial problems, you shouldn't be going further into debt for anything, not just gifts.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #24
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Well, it looks like this is one place that I won't get in trouble for my "Christmas Spirit". The wife unit is way bigger on Christmas gifts than I am. I would rathe come acoss something at any time of the year and give it to someone and say "I am thinking of you right now! Not just at the time of year that I am supposed to."

I agree that greed is out of control. My grandson (17 years old) e-Mails his Christmas list with links to where to buy exactly what he wants. He has done this for years.

I suspect hat unless something major happens with the economy, this will be a bleak Christmas in many homes.

AC
Old 10-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Well, it looks like this is one place that I won't get in trouble for my "Christmas Spirit". The wife unit is way bigger on Christmas gifts than I am. I would rathe come acoss something at any time of the year and give it to someone and say "I am thinking of you right now! Not just at the time of year that I am supposed to."

I agree that greed is out of control. My grandson (17 years old) e-Mails his Christmas list with links to where to buy exactly what he wants. He has done this for years.

I suspect hat unless something major happens with the economy, this will be a bleak Christmas in many homes.

AC

You think like my husband. He feels that if he sees something that he wants to buy/give someone, then he doesn't need a holiday to do it or wait to do it. Needless to say I have had many a Valentine's Day etc. without anything! But he does live up to what he says and gives throughout the year to or for whoever.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Buck and I haven't had Christmas debt for over 20 years, but still gave gifts to all the children, their spouses and all the grandchildren, as well as numerous friends and service people.

Many/most of the gifts are purchased during the year on sale, at thrift stores, etc., and made by Buck or me.

The same will be true for this Christmas.

I just got of the phone with one of our sons who, sadly, has filed for bankruptcy and is scurrying to make ends meet. He's the stay-at-home person in the family, so he's in charge of making the meals. He's having a great time making bread, even without pans. He molds pans out of foil over bowls, etc.

I have an extra bread machine and several extra bread pans. Guess where they will be on December 25th? I'm going to include all my favorite bread recipes and some other bread-making goodies.

Two of the other boys are going to get "mini" albums of pictures of their father during their lives together, along with a framed copy of a letter from the Hagenbeck-Wallace Circus to their grandfather (Buck's dad). His dad ran away to join the circus when he was a boy.

Christmas in our house has always been made up of gifts tailor-made to each recipient and carefully purchased or handmade.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
We save as much as we can to get the kids toys and stuff. No more credit ever ever ever again! I love having kids to watch on Christmas morning.
Otherwise, I spend all year making things. I cross-stitch, knit and crochet for everyone..... and bake of course.
Last year was truffles and a few other treats, and I crocheted snowflake ornaments for everyone. Hopefully I can finish the cross-stitch for my MIL I've been working on for 5 years. :(
Old 10-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm planning to take a vacation day from work and bake bake bake little loaves of bread for people at work and for my friends. DH and I haven't talked about the families yet, but almost all of them live out of state, so homemade stuff wouldn't work very well. We usually give the adults some sort of gift of food, since everyone has pretty much all they need. For the kids, I ask the parents what they need and get that; I figure they'll be getting more than enough toys from everyone else
Old 10-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #29
Executive Chef

DH and I for the most part do not exchange gifts at Xmas or give gifts on our birthdays etc. We figure we have all we need and usually get what we what when we want it during the year. We will send his son money and granddaughter he is raising alone a big gift.
I think if ones budget is tight than perhaps save ahead and spend what you can on a big blow out Xmas dinner that you cook yourself whether its lobster or prime rib etc and the things everyone likes and then maybe a small gift exchange.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I read some where that Walmart and I think it was Toys R Us are cutting prices to some of the more popular toys to $10.00. For those with kids it might be worth checking out.