"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 10-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #31
Head Chef
This year, and I'm not ashamed to say it, money and gifts will be sent to people I know in Ukraine, for the orphans. That's it. I hope to impress on the two grandchildren, ages 8 & 10, that it's no longer about them. I will ask them to participate, even if it's a dollar and I know they each have a dollar or two.

Merry Christmas y'all - oh, otherwise, I will be making as many cookies as I can. Anyone have any suggestions? For real.

David Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #32
Head Chef
Hooray for you, David. You are a remarkable role model for your grandchildren, and I hope they recognize what a fine person you are.

Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:08 AM   #33
Sous Chef
every year i try to give less and less gifts. no matter what the economy is.

As long as I only have to get a hand full gifts for the close people im good.

our freinds sometimes do a secret santa thing but last year we all gave to a freinds charity (First Candle, Stillbirths and what not research)

it worked out well.
Genius is sparked by other peoples ideas.
GhettoRacingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #34
Senior Cook
About 8 years ago myself and DH and our families decided to stop giving gifts as we never knew what to get each other and we all hated Christmas shopping (we live in a tourist destination so during the festive season it's a battle to find a parking space in any shopping center) so we though "why are we doing this to ourselves?". It took a lot of stress out of the holiday season :-) Have to add that there's no small kids in the family though so that made it easy.
TanyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #35
Head Chef
We are taking a new approach ... If we [read: I ] can't sew it, weave it or throw it on a wheel, it's not on the gift list. Our decision is part to save money but also partly because we want to get back to giving people something thoughful and truly from us.
JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #36
Head Chef
This is such a thoughtful and inspirational discussion. Thanks for starting it, DQ. Makes me realize what I already knew - DCer's are a smart, compassionate and sensible group of people!
Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #37
Master Chef
The first Christmas after Mom died we all went overboard on gifts. It was like we were trying to make up for her not being there. Now we keep it a bit simpler. However, for some in the family (SIL), homemade doesn't cut it.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #38
Executive Chef
We mainly only give to family - parents, brothers, sisters (and their other halves) and their kids. Debbie also gives to other members of her family - but this is all small stuff -nice soaps or jams or something like that. We do not spend a fortune - even my boys will not get more than 50 each and probably not even that. I hate seeing it when parents are going into debt and spending hundreds of pounds on presents that are not particularly appreciated.

One year my sister "gave" us donations to charity - we got a card saying what we had given - the boys had each sponsored wild animals in Africa (an elephant & a lion) and we had paid for seeds for an African family to grow crops. I thought that was a great idea.
"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #39
Head Chef
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
We save as much as we can to get the kids toys and stuff. No more credit ever ever ever again! I love having kids to watch on Christmas morning.
Otherwise, I spend all year making things. I cross-stitch, knit and crochet for everyone..... and bake of course.
Last year was truffles and a few other treats, and I crocheted snowflake ornaments for everyone. Hopefully I can finish the cross-stitch for my MIL I've been working on for 5 years. :(
There is nothing you could buy me that I would love more than truffles. Smart girl.
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #40
Contest Winner
Stand in line, I am passing out Hugs to anyone who cares for one.........

And to all the others, your getting one too so you might as well get in Line

If you need a smile, take mine, I'll make a new one.
Maidrite is offline   Reply With Quote