"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
For me the must see movie is The Bishops Wife.

A box of Guylian Belgian seashell shaped chocolates filled with praline cream.

I also have to fix a full cooked breakfast with Christmas fruit bread instead of toast and a shot of bourbon. The bourbon comes from a southern cookbook author named Edna Lewis and her book Taste of Country Cooking. Her descriptions of food in the old south always makes me want to start cooking.

I love that book. I will have to pull it out again. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Christmas eve- kolaczki, mohnstrudel, lekvarstrudel, orechovnik, smoked sable, sturgeon, and whitefish, sauerkraut soup with mushrooms and egg barley, and oplatki.
Christmas day roast goose, dumplings, pickled red cabbage, and stewed apples.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Must watch the original "A Christmas Carol" with Alistair Sim, and "Love Actually," along with "A Christmas Story." Christmas eve snack buffet after Christmas carol services at the local church.

Christmas morning casserole brunch, and hopefully see the kids.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
Master Chef

When I was growing up if times were tough and money was short my Grandparents would say that it was going to be a mitten Christmas. (It never was!)

My Mother and Grandmother always knitted mittens for our church as did all of the other ladies in town and they would put them on a "mitten tree" in the front of the church. At that church service each kid in the church would go up and get a pair of mittens and a scarf.

I wondered how that tradition came about so I started to google. I could not find the origin but, I did learn that December 6th is national mitten day. Did any of you folks have this custom growing up or do you know how it started?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
Everymom

We have a silly string fight every Christmas morning. Its fairly epic.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #16
Executive Chef

We always watch Christmas Story too! Christmas Eve is a great munchie night with cheese, crackers, summer sausage, crab meat, shrimp, smoked salmon, and anything else we put out to munch on. I also bake all sorts of Christmas candy and cookies. In fact I have been doing a lot of that today. One night we usually drive around to look at all of the lights too! Christmas day I fix two ducks and we pig out on those.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper
We always watch Christmas Story too! Christmas Eve is a great munchie night with cheese, crackers, summer sausage, crab meat, shrimp, smoked salmon, and anything else we put out to munch on. I also bake all sorts of Christmas candy and cookies. In fact I have been doing a lot of that today. One night we usually drive around to look at all of the lights too! Christmas day I fix two ducks and we pig out on those.
Chopper! There you are!

We missed you!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Our tradition, if you can call it that is to be the First to call Mom. They ganged up on me and made the rule that we couldn't call before 6 am...I was working nights
Old 12-22-2011, 05:39 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

speaking of tying things to pets on christmas, i remember one year when one of our cats got his head stuck through the loop handle of a shopping bag while being too nosey, then got scared and freaked out and started running wildly through the house trying to get away from the evil bag.

he went crashing through all of the holiday nick-nacks that dw puts out, through the tree knocking off dozens of fragile ornaments, crashing into lamps and up and over furniture until he finally freed himself and hid under the bed.

it was a disaster scene, but we all had to laugh at the dumb cat.

and now we make sure there are no cat traps around on christmas morning.

as far as traditions go, about the only one i can think of is that we open gifts on christmas morning, not on christmas eve. i've been able to get up just before anyone else does and go get the video camera set up next to the tree every year. that way i've been able to record the joy and wonder on my son's face as he comes into the living room to discover his cookies and milk gone, and then all of the gifts under the tree.

then we proceed to open the gifts until we're knee deep in spent wrapping paper, and we find one of the cats snooping around, looking to create another disaster.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
speaking of tying things to pets on christmas, i remember one year when one of our cats got his head stuck through the loop handle of a shopping bag while being too nosey, then got scared and freaked out and started running wildly through the house trying to get away from the evil bag.

he went crashing through all of the holiday nick-nacks that dw puts out, through the tree knocking off dozens of fragile ornaments, crashing into lamps and up and over furniture until he finally freed himself and hid under the bed.

it was a disaster scene, but we all had to laugh at the dumb cat.

and now we make sure there are no cat traps around on christmas morning.

as far as traditions go, about the only one i can think of is that we open gifts on christmas morning, not on christmas eve. i've been able to get up just before anyone else does and go get the video camera set up next to the tree every year. that way i've been able to record the joy and wonder on my son's face as he comes into the living room to discover his cookies and milk gone, and then all of the gifts under the tree.

then we proceed to open the gifts until we're knee deep in spent wrapping paper, and we find one of the cats snooping around, looking to create another disaster.
You shouldn't make me laugh this early in the morning, ruins my wake up, grouchy routine!

Tags
christmas