"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Head Chef

Christmas traditions and habits

I was wondering who has traditions or habbits they do every Christmas.

A few years ago me and my eleven year old daughter started building a gingerbread house. It's just the kit you get a WallyWorld but we now do it every year. And we make Christmas cookies.

I also don't feel like it's Christmas if I don't watch "A Christmas Story" on tv. You know they do a marathon every Christmas season so it's hard to miss it. It was one of the movies my oldest sister took me to see when I was a little girl. She's passed on now, so it makes me think of her. I always remember how she laughed through that movie... It's still hilarious to me.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Head Chef

I loved the Christmas Story, for at least the first 20 times I watched it and I still see lamps at stores and think they should label the box 'fragile'--that's italian.

Mom make swiss cheese fondue every Christmas Eve.

for a while we had a chinese auction for the gifts, as a game to play amongst ourselves.

I have to make (with my son) cookies and bars for Christmas, and appetizers for New Years. Tons of leftovers to take us into January.

This year we may take the boys (all grown) and their girlfriends to a 'dinner and a movie' at a theater that has food served during the show. We'll have to go out afterwards to have time to 'chit chat', I'm looking forward to it.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Master Chef

For me the must see movie is The Bishops Wife.

A box of Guylian Belgian seashell shaped chocolates filled with praline cream.

I also have to fix a full cooked breakfast with Christmas fruit bread instead of toast and a shot of bourbon. The bourbon comes from a southern cookbook author named Edna Lewis and her book Taste of Country Cooking. Her descriptions of food in the old south always makes me want to start cooking.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Head Chef

My friend Mary always wanted to have mixed nuts coated in chocolate and butterscotch melted chips. She didn't like their smell but loved their taste and she made them every year. The smell reminded her of Christmas.

Aunt Bea, a shot of bourbon for breakfast, this sounds like a fun tradition!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
For me the must see movie is The Bishops Wife.

A box of Guylian Belgian seashell shaped chocolates filled with praline cream.

I also have to fix a full cooked breakfast with Christmas fruit bread instead of toast and a shot of bourbon. The bourbon comes from a southern cookbook author named Edna Lewis and her book Taste of Country Cooking. Her descriptions of food in the old south always makes me want to start cooking.
I love Edna Lewis and her cornbread recipe is the only one I make. Sooooo good.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I loved the Christmas Story, for at least the first 20 times I watched it and I still see lamps at stores and think they should label the box 'fragile'--that's italian.

Mom make swiss cheese fondue every Christmas Eve.

for a while we had a chinese auction for the gifts, as a game to play amongst ourselves.

I have to make (with my son) cookies and bars for Christmas, and appetizers for New Years. Tons of leftovers to take us into January.

This year we may take the boys (all grown) and their girlfriends to a 'dinner and a movie' at a theater that has food served during the show. We'll have to go out afterwards to have time to 'chit chat', I'm looking forward to it.

That was funny ..."Frah gee lee", lol.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Half Baked

Chicken stew with dumplings (Revelie) on Christmas Eve. This is my MIL's thing.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
Master Chef

Tourtiere. It fell out of favor with my family for many decades. Then I bought a cookbook from Avon that had recipes from Avon reps throughout the world. One was for Tourtiere. I didn't even know how to spell it, and the pies my grandmothers made weren't that great. I used that recipe as a starting point, and my husband fell in love with it. It was hugely successful when I took it to a Christmas midnight brunch at a local Hawaiian friends' place. I've lightened it and refined it, and now my sisters call me to guide them through making it, because everyone likes mine best. I think the best is when the two women who I'm named after had it for Boxing day brunch and were absolutely delighted with the taste of their childhood.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We always took ribbon and tied it to our floppy eared poodle's ears on Christmas morning, he looked so festive. He also had a wreath that held the small dog bones, that was his present.

My partner always buys special treats for the cat, he wants the cat to have a good christmas too!

My dad always made french toast after we opened presents. Then we would eat ourselves into a candy coma from the stuff in our stockings.

I have yet to make any traditions of my own, I just have a hard time getting into christmas the last few years, I usually don't have any christmas spirit until christmas eve.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
We always took ribbon and tied it to our floppy eared poodle's ears on Christmas morning, he looked so festive. He also had a wreath that held the small dog bones, that was his present.

My partner always buys special treats for the cat, he wants the cat to have a good christmas too!

My dad always made french toast after we opened presents. Then we would eat ourselves into a candy coma from the stuff in our stockings.

I have yet to make any traditions of my own, I just have a hard time getting into christmas the last few years, I usually don't have any christmas spirit until christmas eve.

I used to get a small cat "pin-up" calendar and hang it up in the corner over the water dish and food bowl. The cat did not seem to care but everyone else got a kick out of it.

Tags
christmas