"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
Master Chef

The only year I was without a tree was in 2005, the year my husband of 42 years died just before the Christmas season and I had to put our home on the market. Not having one really added to my depression. I vowed then I'd never be without a Christmas Tree of some kind again. Gosh, I'm thinking about Kades family again. I really hope they have a tree for her.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Ours is up and decorated, but I just realized there is no topper on the tree...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2877826478.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	20004  

Old 12-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Steve, in its own way that is very beautiful. I would love to see sunlight shining on it.

(Note to self: Try to remember not all members are Christians.) Happy Hanukkah to all our friends of the Jewish faith.
That's very thoughtful of you Addie. Steve said thanks for the good wishes. He lit his Hannukah candles thanksgiving day through Thursday and he'll help me with my Christmas tree this week. It works for us.

Your tree is lovely Toffi, and Merry Christmas.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The only year I was without a tree was in 2005, the year my husband of 42 years died just before the Christmas season and I had to put our home on the market. Not having one really added to my depression. I vowed then I'd never be without a Christmas Tree of some kind again. Gosh, I'm thinking about Kades family again. I really hope they have a tree for her.
I thought about that earlier. The little ones are really going to miss her scarfs and mittens and all the other things she made for them every year. And who is going to do their holiday dinner? You can't just skip the holiday when there are little kids asking questions. I am sure they will sit around the table and tell all the tales of her kindness and good heart. I hope her daughters find any presents she had put away for the little ones.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That's very thoughtful of you Addie. Steve said thanks for the good wishes. He lit his Hannukah candles thanksgiving day through Thursday and he'll help me with my Christmas tree this week. It works for us.

Your tree is lovely Toffi, and Merry Christmas.
I have known many families like yours that celebrate both holidays. Sorry I was a little late this year. When I used to send out Christmas cards, I would send ones to our Jewish friends that just said Happy Holidays with a non-religious picture on the front. I was surprised every year when they would mention how thoughtful they thought it was. I just thought it was the right thing to do. Please do show us your tree. Maybe next year we can have pictures of different Hannukah Menorah candles also. Too late for this year.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
That's very thoughtful of you Addie. Steve said thanks for the good wishes. He lit his Hannukah candles thanksgiving day through Thursday and he'll help me with my Christmas tree this week. It works for us. Your tree is lovely Toffi, and Merry Christmas.
Thank you :) A late happy Hannukah to Steve, and a very merry Christmas to you Kayelle!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #17
Master Chef

In Germany the christmas tree is usually put up very shortly before christmas eve.
At my mother's house it is a tradition that the kids decorate the tree in the morning of the 24th.
We just have a small wooden tree, a christmas gift from my sister some years ago, as we are not at home very much around christmas.
We will be with my Mum on christmas eve together with my sisters and my brothers and there family and we will travel to Frank's mother on the 25th.
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Trees look great! Steve, love the bottle tree! Time for me to dust off Shrek's Charlie Brown tree and turn on the blinking light on top.

The funny pics of cats demolishing Christmas Trees...those could have all been taken at my house.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #19
Head Chef

I want one of these.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #20
Cupcake

Christmas Tree 2013

We just got our tree up and decorated! Friends came for dinner and one had never had decorated a tree before. A few years ago, I broke down and succumbed to the ease of an artificial tree. While I missed the tree scent, my biggest regret was not having the c7 bulbs that my family had always placed on the tree. I found LED "c7 bulbs!" Yes, I need to order a few more strands but I love the tree with them. (I also love the cat beneath as she loves to sleep there near a heating vent.)

I'm at the point where each ornament is special. I get a new ornament each year, so it is fun reminiscing while decorating.

~Kathleen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-21 20.46.25.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	20241  

Tags
christmas