Christopher Kimball is leaving America's Test Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
I love Cooks Illustrated but I rarely read his editor's letter and I don't watch the shows. I hope the scientific nature of the magazines doesn't change.

I'm also a subscriber of the Cooks Illustrated website. For about a year, they've been pushing for people to subscribe to all their websites - for a higher annual cost, of course. I haven't done that because they seem to share a lot of the same recipes and I'm not that interested in the stories that come with Cooks Country. I hope I'm not forced into paying more for what I have now.

They were pushing for us to sign up and pay money when I logged into it this past week to get the recipe I made for dinner tonight. I've been a member for a long time when it was totally free to sign up, now they are trying to charge me. Not happy about that. Got a couple issues of their mag but not interested. In fact, I'm considering not renewing our Bon Appetit subscription because it seems to be mostly travel and booze/perfume ads lately.

I stopped subscribing to any food mags as they are all ads, travel and other non-food stuff. Cook's Illustrated is quite expensive compared to the others. Rather than pay to use the website I record the tv shows and transcribe the recipes I like.

I just watch and DVR the shows too, as opposed to subscribing online. I do have a couple of the ATK cookbooks I like that I got at the used bookstore.

I enjoy the shows and get a LOT of useful information out of them, but I kind of get the impression that Christopher Kimball can be kind of annoying to his co-hosts. He's said some things 'jokingly' on air that hasn't exactly put them in the best light.

Last edited:
The thing about the ATK magazines is that there are no ads - that's why they cost more than other foodie magazines, but it also means you don't have to wade through any ads while reading and they remain independent in their ingredient and equipment reviews. I hope that doesn't change.

Last edited:
He is still going to be hosting both shows through 2016. I think that just might be enough time to sort out their differences.

He is still going to be hosting both shows through 2016. I think that just might be enough time to sort out their differences.

The 2016 shows are already taped and in the can. He's already gone. Although he co-founded the magazine, over the years, Boston Common Press has come to own a greater percentage than CK. About 2 months ago, they brought in a new CEO - for the first time, CK had a boss! It was rumored at the time to be the beginning of the end for Kimball.

Jack Bishop, that smiley, mousy little guy with the real bad posture, who runs the taste tests, has been promoted to 'Chief Creative Officer', whatever that means.

CK and his new young wife are said to be starting a new business.

Last edited:
New young wife? Interesting. I don't see him as a "hunka burnin love". Does anyone know if he can actually cook?

:ROFLMAO: Yeah, Chris Kimball is a "hunka hunka burnin' love". This cracked me up! $$ might have something to do with it...

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: Yes, Larry is another "hunka hunka".

Well, as Ben Franklin stated, all cats look gray in the dark. Especially if they have lots of $$.

Back
Top Bottom