Cigars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leasingthisspace

Senior Cook
Anyone out there enjoy a cigar every now and then?
If so what is some of your favorite cigars and possible pairings?

I really enjoy Padron maduros. Everything from the x000 series to the anniversary series. I tend to drink coffee ,root beer, or a good rum.
I hope I posted this in the right spot.

I'm no longer a smoker. A few years ago I tried a Cuban in Aruba and confirmed that I don't want to smoke.

Are the cigars you smoke Cuban, Ecuadorian or what?

Padron is out of Nicaragua I think.
I live in the states so I won't talk about Cubans.
I use to smoke alot of cigars like 5 to 10 a week but I probably have 1 a month now.

I must admit I have never smoked a cigar, I always thought they would be a bit strong or something

LTS, you certainly have cut down on them...do you miss having so many in a week?

I was smoking that many when I was deployed. I don't miss them because I send my time with my kids. I don't like them seeing me smoke.

I've been known to enjoy a good cigar. My preference leans toward the stronger flavors from a Maduro wrapper but also enjoy the lighter Connecticut wrappers on occasion. I also prefer the larger sizes somewhere in the 6 x 52 range.

Selecting really great cigars requires time and research. I pay very little attention to brand and marketing hype. I read peer reviews, industry published scoring, and what Mike thinks about it before laying down my cold hard cash. Even then, I buy ones and twos before buying a box.

Cuban cigars are often held high as being the worlds greatest cigars but I think this is mostly a myth. Some exceptional cigars are still produced there but the seed and most talented producers left Cuba long ago to establish new estates in other countries. When the embargo is lifted it will become obvious to everyone that the worlds best cigars have been widely available for many years.

Given the investment of time and expense involved I tend to be very particular about pairing beverages and never mix with foods. Simple iced tea or water often makes the best choice. In my experience distilled spirits with high alcohol content are less than ideal. On the other hand, highly aromatic spirits like brandy, cognac, or amaretto can make for interesting combinations.

Just my .02

I reckon I am a mite late on this here thread. I truly enjoy a good cigar. Well, that leads to the question...what is a good cigar? I have heard all the hype about Cuban cigars. While I have smoked a few, I believe that the cigars being produced in Nicaragua, Honduras, Dominica, and numerous other places, are as good as any smokes I have had from Cuba. My personal preference has been for many years Honduran.... Punch, Hoyo de Monterrey, and a number of other cigars produced by Nestor Plasencia, as well as others. Shucks, I even enjoy the occasional Connie, even though they can be hit or miss. Never been able to get my hand on a Padron Anniversary Maduro. I could order them online but if I am gonna shuck out 10, 12 dollars or more for a smoke, I want to hold it in my hand before I buy it.
There was a fellow that produced some cigars for a short period of time that were among the best I have smoked. Unfortunately, as is the case with many an upstart cigar company, It didn't last very long. His front mark was Cojones. It was a strong, spicy cigar and I truly wish I had purchased more of them when I had the opportunity.
At any rate, I enjoy a good cigar with a glass of bourbon as often as I can.

Hoot said:
I reckon I am a mite late on this here thread. I truly enjoy a good cigar. Well, that leads to the question...what is a good cigar? I have heard all the hype about Cuban cigars. While I have smoked a few, I believe that the cigars being produced in Nicaragua, Honduras, Dominica, and numerous other places, are as good as any smokes I have had from Cuba. My personal preference has been for many years Honduran.... Punch, Hoyo de Monterrey, and a number of other cigars produced by Nestor Plasencia, as well as others. Shucks, I even enjoy the occasional Connie, even though they can be hit or miss. Never been able to get my hand on a Padron Anniversary Maduro. I could order them online but if I am gonna shuck out 10, 12 dollars or more for a smoke, I want to hold it in my hand before I buy it.
There was a fellow that produced some cigars for a short period of time that were among the best I have smoked. Unfortunately, as is the case with many an upstart cigar company, It didn't last very long. His front mark was Cojones. It was a strong, spicy cigar and I truly wish I had purchased more of them when I had the opportunity.
At any rate, I enjoy a good cigar with a glass of bourbon as often as I can.

I was gifted the 64 and I bought the 26 from a shop price was about 8 or 9 cuz it was the #9 . I would buy them by the box if I could afford it.
I've only bought one whole box. Padron #2000 mad. I love them. But there is just to much other stuff out there to stop sampling.
I also don't listen the reviewers of magazines only take opinions of others.
Nestors with about a year of age on them are amazing too.

I'm not a cigar lover, far from it (I run, run, run if I even see one) but you gotta wonder just exactly how banning Cuban cigars is helping the cause for freedom.

I'm not a cigar lover, far from it (I run, run, run if I even see one) but you gotta wonder just exactly how banning Cuban cigars is helping the cause for freedom.

Come down to Dade county to Calle Ocho, engage some of the older Cubans and you might just find your answer.;) You may disagree, but they are a strong voting block.

There is a company in Key Largo that produces some excellent smokes. Island Smoke Shop. I prefer the El Original Maduro. They are a tick pricey, but very, very good. I generally smoke robustos, but am fond of smaller ring gauge smokes as well, along the lines of coronas.
It is generally acknowledged that the Cuban embargo is/has not been overly effective. I always figured that by the time the embargo is lifted, tobacco will probably be outlawed in the States.
Just the way my luck runs. :LOL:

.... tobacco will probably be outlawed in the States.
Just the way my luck runs. :LOL:

Mine too. Hedging my bets on this one. Keeping my humidor stocked to the brim. Waiting for the day when a hand made puro goes for $500 / stick.

Back
Top Bottom