"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,884
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Maybe you skipped over or missed this part.

"Pvt. Triplett had farmland and a big house near Elk Creek, in Wilkes County, N.C. Long after his death, local men would drink moonshine, play banjo and fiddle, and swap legends about what a "hard man" Mose Triplett had been, said his grandson, Charlie Triplett, who heard the stories from his father. He wore a Wyatt Earp mustache and would pull the fangs from rattlesnakes, then keep them as pets in a chicken coop."
Yeah, but the article was relating the exaggerated stories told by a proud grandson. It doesn't reflect on the accuracy of the article, unless the grandson never said that.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,884
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Sadly, having spent a chunk of my lifetime teaching history I really can't be doing with historical novels.
I find that a well written historical novel gets the history right and can make it come alive.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I find that a well written historical novel gets the history right and can make it come alive.
Killer Angels is more than a just history book. It won a Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1975.
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #14
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Killer Angels is more than a just history book. It won a Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1975.
If you like fiction about the Civil War, read "The Guns Of The South" by Harry Turtledove. I know that history is full of events that occurred, but man recorded those events. The accuracy of how those events unfolded will always be in doubt in my mind because man is/was involved in the recording of it. New information is always being discovered that puts the excepted versions of events in history in doubt. Nothing written by man should be blindly accepted as completely accurate,IMO.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I just saw the phrase the other day, The War of Northern Aggression.
It didn't used to bother me, but now it does.
Maybe not the phrase as much as people trying to perpetuate a bad time. Don't you think it's time to let it go? (rhetorical)
My girlfriend in Atlanta is a Canadian by birth and came to this country as a small child. But she still thinks of herself as Canadian. She told me one day that a die hard Southerner yelled at her to go live with the Yankees. She doesn't deserve to live in the South.

It was a war that no one won. Every family lost. Even if the soldier managed to come home at the end. He wasn't the same person that marched off with so much fervor. It is time to let it go. The Mason/Dixon Line no longer exists. Only a strong brotherhood.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #16
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
If you like fiction about the Civil War, read "The Guns Of The South" by Harry Turtledove. I know that history is full of events that occurred, but man recorded those events. The accuracy of how those events unfolded will always be in doubt in my mind because man is/was involved in the recording of it. New information is always being discovered that puts the excepted versions of events in history in doubt. Nothing written by man should be blindly accepted as completely accurate,IMO.

Interesting.

Wiki says:

The Guns of the South (1992) is an alternate history novel set during the American Civil War by Harry Turtledove.
The story deals with a group of time-travelling Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging members who supply Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia with AK-47s and small amounts of other supplies (including nitroglycerine tablets for treating Lee's heart condition), leading to a Southern victory in the war.
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I just saw the phrase the other day, The War of Northern Aggression.
It didn't used to bother me, but now it does.
Maybe not the phrase as much as people trying to perpetuate a bad time. Don't you think it's time to let it go? (rhetorical)
Agree. Many here in the south would fight this war again if they could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I live in the South and I never hear people refer to the Civil War that way. I think it's one of those clichés that gets repeated but doesn't really mean anything.
I hear this often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My girlfriend in Atlanta is a Canadian by birth and came to this country as a small child. But she still thinks of herself as Canadian. She told me one day that a die hard Southerner yelled at her to go live with the Yankees. She doesn't deserve to live in the South.

It was a war that no one won. Every family lost. Even if the soldier managed to come home at the end. He wasn't the same person that marched off with so much fervor. It is time to let it go. The Mason/Dixon Line no longer exists. Only a strong brotherhood.
I moved to South Carolina from Miami Florida almost 30 years ago. I was called a Yankee and was made fun of because I had never used an outhouse. Northerners and anyone that is not white are not received very well.
This has been my personal experience.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I moved to South Carolina from Miami Florida almost 30 years ago. I was called a Yankee and was made fun of because I had never used an outhouse. Northerners and anyone that is not white are not received very well.
This has been my personal experience.
I suppose it didn't matter that Florida was on "their side" during the Civil War?
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Interesting.

Wiki says:

The Guns of the South (1992) is an alternate history novel set during the American Civil War by Harry Turtledove.
The story deals with a group of time-travelling Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging members who supply Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia with AK-47s and small amounts of other supplies (including nitroglycerine tablets for treating Lee's heart condition), leading to a Southern victory in the war.
Like I said, FICTION! The AWB is the equal of the KKK, but more ruthless.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #20
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Like I said, FICTION! The AWB is the equal of the KKK, but more ruthless.
I was aware that it was fiction and it may be very good fiction. I'm not qualified to say because I've never read it.

Guns of the South sounds as if it's a mix between science fiction and history which could be good if written well--- as I assume it was.

But I can't bring myself to call it a historical novel on a par with Killer Angels or many of the other fine historical novels.
__________________

__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.