Civil War (Yours Not Ours!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nothing like a good BS story. "Pulled the fangs from rattlesnakes and kept them as pets in a chicken coup." Crotalids always have fangs at the ready to replace those lost during shed, normal wear and tear and those broken off in prey or while defending themselves.;)

Last edited:
Nothing like a good BS story. "Pulled the fangs from rattlesnakes and kept them as pets in a chicken coup." Crotalids always have fangs at the ready to replace those lost during shed, normal wear and tear and those broken off in prey or while defending themselves.;)
I beg your pardon?????

I'm not sure what rattlesnakes have to do with the story I mentioned. Perhaps you thought you were replying to another thread?

Last edited:
Interesting article, I guess someone always has to be last!

If Uncle Bob was still with us he would have corrected you. The people in the American south refer to the Civil War as the War of Northern Aggression, I miss Uncle Bob and his little brown eyed gal!

Interesting article, I guess someone always has to be last!

If Uncle Bob was still with us he would have corrected you. The people in the American south refer to the Civil War as the War of Northern Aggression, I miss Uncle Bob and his little brown eyed gal!
Come to think of it I believe I'd heard that before. I'd forgotten.

I just saw the phrase the other day, The War of Northern Aggression.
It didn't used to bother me, but now it does.
Maybe not the phrase as much as people trying to perpetuate a bad time. Don't you think it's time to let it go? (rhetorical)

I live in the South and I never hear people refer to the Civil War that way. I think it's one of those clichés that gets repeated but doesn't really mean anything.

I beg your pardon?????

I'm not sure what rattlesnakes have to do with the story I mentioned. Perhaps you thought you were replying to another thread?

Maybe you skipped over or missed this part.:rolleyes:

"Pvt. Triplett had farmland and a big house near Elk Creek, in Wilkes County, N.C. Long after his death, local men would drink moonshine, play banjo and fiddle, and swap legends about what a "hard man" Mose Triplett had been, said his grandson, Charlie Triplett, who heard the stories from his father. He wore a Wyatt Earp mustache and would pull the fangs from rattlesnakes, then keep them as pets in a chicken coop."

For anyone who wants to read a really good book about the American Civil War:

The Killer Angels: The Classic Novel of the Civil War"

By Michael Shaara

I've read it 2 times and now it may be time to read it again.

For anyone who wants to read a really good book about the American Civil War:

The Killer Angels: The Classic Novel of the Civil War"

By Michael Shaara

I've read it 2 times and now it may be time to read it again.
Sadly, having spent a chunk of my lifetime teaching history I really can't be doing with historical novels.

Maybe you skipped over or missed this part.:rolleyes:

"Pvt. Triplett had farmland and a big house near Elk Creek, in Wilkes County, N.C. Long after his death, local men would drink moonshine, play banjo and fiddle, and swap legends about what a "hard man" Mose Triplett had been, said his grandson, Charlie Triplett, who heard the stories from his father. He wore a Wyatt Earp mustache and would pull the fangs from rattlesnakes, then keep them as pets in a chicken coop."
Yeah, but the article was relating the exaggerated stories told by a proud grandson. It doesn't reflect on the accuracy of the article, unless the grandson never said that.

Killer Angels is more than a just history book. It won a Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1975.

:rolleyes:If you like fiction about the Civil War, read "The Guns Of The South" by Harry Turtledove. I know that history is full of events that occurred, but man recorded those events. The accuracy of how those events unfolded will always be in doubt in my mind because man is/was involved in the recording of it. New information is always being discovered that puts the excepted versions of events in history in doubt. Nothing written by man should be blindly accepted as completely accurate,IMO.

Maybe not the phrase as much as people trying to perpetuate a bad time. Don't you think it's time to let it go? (rhetorical)

My girlfriend in Atlanta is a Canadian by birth and came to this country as a small child. But she still thinks of herself as Canadian. She told me one day that a die hard Southerner yelled at her to go live with the Yankees. She doesn't deserve to live in the South.

It was a war that no one won. Every family lost. Even if the soldier managed to come home at the end. He wasn't the same person that marched off with so much fervor. It is time to let it go. The Mason/Dixon Line no longer exists. Only a strong brotherhood. :angel:

:rolleyes:If you like fiction about the Civil War, read "The Guns Of The South" by Harry Turtledove. I know that history is full of events that occurred, but man recorded those events. The accuracy of how those events unfolded will always be in doubt in my mind because man is/was involved in the recording of it. New information is always being discovered that puts the excepted versions of events in history in doubt. Nothing written by man should be blindly accepted as completely accurate,IMO.

Interesting.

Wiki says:

The Guns of the South (1992) is an alternate history novel set during the American Civil War by Harry Turtledove.
The story deals with a group of time-travelling Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging members who supply Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia with AK-47s and small amounts of other supplies (including nitroglycerine tablets for treating Lee's heart condition), leading to a Southern victory in the war.

Agree. Many here in the south would fight this war again if they could.

I live in the South and I never hear people refer to the Civil War that way. I think it's one of those clichés that gets repeated but doesn't really mean anything.

I hear this often.

My girlfriend in Atlanta is a Canadian by birth and came to this country as a small child. But she still thinks of herself as Canadian. She told me one day that a die hard Southerner yelled at her to go live with the Yankees. She doesn't deserve to live in the South.

It was a war that no one won. Every family lost. Even if the soldier managed to come home at the end. He wasn't the same person that marched off with so much fervor. It is time to let it go. The Mason/Dixon Line no longer exists. Only a strong brotherhood. :angel:

I moved to South Carolina from Miami Florida almost 30 years ago. I was called a Yankee and was made fun of because I had never used an outhouse. Northerners and anyone that is not white are not received very well.
This has been my personal experience.

Last edited:
I moved to South Carolina from Miami Florida almost 30 years ago. I was called a Yankee and was made fun of because I had never used an outhouse. Northerners and anyone that is not white are not received very well.
This has been my personal experience.

I suppose it didn't matter that Florida was on "their side" during the Civil War? :LOL:

Interesting.

Wiki says:

The Guns of the South (1992) is an alternate history novel set during the American Civil War by Harry Turtledove.
The story deals with a group of time-travelling Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging members who supply Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia with AK-47s and small amounts of other supplies (including nitroglycerine tablets for treating Lee's heart condition), leading to a Southern victory in the war.

Like I said, FICTION! The AWB is the equal of the KKK, but more ruthless.

Like I said, FICTION! The AWB is the equal of the KKK, but more ruthless.

I was aware that it was fiction and it may be very good fiction. I'm not qualified to say because I've never read it.

Guns of the South sounds as if it's a mix between science fiction and history which could be good if written well--- as I assume it was.

But I can't bring myself to call it a historical novel on a par with Killer Angels or many of the other fine historical novels.

Back
Top Bottom