Classical Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
Does anybody enjoy classical music?
I've been a fan of classical since grade 10... so about 3 years ago
But I'm very deep into it. I have about 80 cds, 50 hours of music on my computer, a couple of books on classical music, and a few instruments

Shostakovich is my favorite composer
Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5 is my favorite Symphony
Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 is my favorite Concerto
Brahm's Academic Festival Overture is my favorite Overture
and Mozart's Requiem is my favorite piece with vocals

I'm not a fan of singing though. It angers me.
:D

I enjoy classical music as well.

Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 was the first classical music I remember hearing. I still enjoy it.

Mozart is my favorite composer and his piano concerto #21 is my favorite piece of classical music.

Cool

Mozart is great. I have a few friends really obsessed with him, it is quite funny. He wrote some great stuff but I just don't find it as good as alot of others. I almost feel as if he concentrated more on Quantity instead of Quality. I know that isn't true... but you should know where I am coming from.

goboenomo said:
Does anybody enjoy classical music?
I've been a fan of classical since grade 10... so about 3 years ago
But I'm very deep into it. I have about 80 cds, 50 hours of music on my computer, a couple of books on classical music, and a few instruments

Shostakovich is my favorite composer
Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5 is my favorite Symphony
Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 is my favorite Concerto
Brahm's Academic Festival Overture is my favorite Overture
and Mozart's Requiem is my favorite piece with vocals

I'm not a fan of singing though. It angers me.
:D

From time to time I do enjoy it a bit. I became interested in Beethoven 'fur elise' when my daughter was studying classical music, but also enjoy all the artists you have mentioned. Why would it anger you to sing it? Cant hit the notes? :)

goboenomo said:
I don't sing
I mean anybody singing angers me
I dont know why....It just does...

Fur Elise is okay
Try his Tempest Piano Sonata

here is a link
[URL="http://rapidshare.de/files/30536559/Classical_-Beethoven_-_Tempest.mp3"]http://rapidshare.de/files/30536559/Classical_-Beethoven_-_Tempest.mp3[/URL]

I've got a degree in classical music. Baroque and Renaissance music make my car shake to its axles. I won a scholarship to Oxford as a Bass-baritone,but spent far more time having fun than actually studying! I once sang in the Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center and I-cant-eve-n-remember-where in Chicago with the London Bach Society.

My favourites? Well Vivaldi takes a lot of beating; Dowland's lute suites are the perfect answer to a long, hard day; Beethoven's string quartets are wonderful up lifters and Frederic Chopin's Studies are the most amazing pieces ever created for the piano.
If you want to listen to an extraordinary piece of music, listen to Monteverdi's "Vespers".

For music i've been playing since I was 11
I didn't really enjoy music until i started high school when I got really good.
In grade 9 i was in the grade 9, 10 and senior band
In grade 10 i was in the grade 10, senior band
In grade 11 i was in a Woodwind Trio, senior band, honour band, and the Durham Youth orchestra
and this year i was in a Woodwind Quintet, Senior Band, Honour Band, Pit Band for the Sound of Music, and the Durham Youth Orchestra
I got the music award in grade 10 and 11
didnt in grade 12 because me and the music teacher had a bad year.

Im a Tchaikovsky fan also. Im not too well versed in the ways of classical music yet, so i can't rattle off any symphony numbers.:rolleyes:

I acquired my interests in classical music through years of being a huge figure skating fan. Among many pieces that have been used for different programs by various skaters, I discovered so many wonderful tunes.

Tchaikovsky's piano concerto #1 was one of the first melody that grabbed my attention, and remains as one of my all time favourites.
I am also deeply fond of his Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty suite.

Among other favourites are:

Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven
Bolero by Ravel
Don Quixote by Minkus
Piano concerto #2 by Rachmaninov
Spartacus (Adagio) by Katchaturian
Meditation di Thais by Massinet
Carmen suite by Bizet
Rigoletto and La Traviatta by Verdi
Swan by Saint Saens

Though these pieces by Bizet and Verdi (or any tunes from Opera) I prefer the instrumental versions... call me brutally uncultured, but I just never cared for those opera singing...:ermm:

cliveb said:
I won a scholarship to Oxford as a Bass-baritone,but spent far more time having fun than actually studying! .

Hey CliveB, which college were you at?!

I love many types of music, I too trained as a classical musician, my husband is a jazz musician...we met recording a dance track!

How ever "over played" it is I think the summer suite from Vivaldi's four seasons ...where you can feel the summer storm...is about the most wonderful piece of music. The whole of the four seasons is the first piece of music I got....I could see myself punting in the summer, hunting in autumn....it made sence to a twelve year old stuck at musc school!

And yes, Monteverdi's Vespers.....superb.

Also,Pictures at an Exhibition , which always makes me think of my mother, who loves it.

Since I got ill a few years ago I have memory problems which effect me playing. The Well Tempered Clavier is about the only thing I can play now...so I better rank that in my favourites. To sing: Oh Mio Babino Caro.....which even after I had left "classical" singing I still sing in warm up as it clears my tubes perfectly! I also have a huge soft spot for Gilbert and Sullivan Operetta. It makes great car music as everyone can enjoy the fun of singing along. Carmen is iconic, Turandot who my horse is named after.

One of the things with opera is I think you can't think of it as something only to listen too. The performance and the production is important too, imho.

I simply can't choose a faourite. It depends entirely on my mood and my surroundings! But I tried.

I listen to very little music apart from classical music and folk.

I go to a lot of performances, especially ballet and opera.

love music, listen to it all the time, make it when I can. I have a degree in music B Mus., (as well as English and Culinary Arts). Big Opera fan so singing thrills me.

Favorite symphonic composers would be Tchaikovsky, Sibelius, Schumann. Concertos are great so the Tchaikovsky is a fave (as is his violin concerto).

urmaniac13 said:
I acquired my interests in classical music through years of being a huge figure skating fan. Among many pieces that have been used for different programs by various skaters, I discovered so many wonderful tunes.

Tchaikovsky's piano concerto #1 was one of the first melody that grabbed my attention, and remains as one of my all time favourites.
I am also deeply fond of his Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty suite.

Among other favourites are:

Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven
Bolero by Ravel
Don Quixote by Minkus
Piano concerto #2 by Rachmaninov
Spartacus (Adagio) by Katchaturian
Meditation di Thais by Massinet
Carmen suite by Bizet
Rigoletto and La Traviatta by Verdi
Swan by Saint Saens

Though these pieces by Bizet and Verdi (or any tunes from Opera) I prefer the instrumental versions... call me brutally uncultured, but I just never cared for those opera singing...:ermm:

My girlfriend used to figure skate so she can recognize some of my music.
Every time I play Jupiter Bringer of Jollity by Gustav Holst she always points out that she knows it.

But she still bugs me when I play my classical music.

She's a speed skater now, she's place 6th place in Canada when she went to the Nationals or something in Yukon
Did you see the link to the youtube of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 played by Evgeny Kissin at the top of this page?

Nice list.
You should check out Bizet's L'arlesienne Suites.
There is alot of famous stuff in there. You should look more into other stuff.
Mahler, Shostakovich, Xenakis, Reed and others.

Last edited:
I love classical music. I used to listen to the operas on the radio when I was a teenager. My favorite song is by Jussi Bjoerling and Robert Merrill ( Au fond du temple saint ). I also love Rachmaninoff, especially ( Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini ), I want that played at my funeral. Hopefully that won't be for a long time yet. :rolleyes:

Check out Rachmaninov's Prelude in C sharp minor

this is a great link
tons of actual recordings of classical music
this Prelude is just over half way down, on the left side of the links.

http://classical.doctorjoe.net/

there is a ton of other great stuff to listen to

Enjoy

No problem. Thats why I'm here.
Well actually I'm here to talk about cooking.
But helping with music is good too!

Back
Top Bottom