"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
Master Chef

I did that once, but then my youngest daughter (2 at the time) came along and thought they were just the neatest thing and perfect for playing with...
I also had a friend who actually took a picture of his keyboard and kept it in his desk drawer for when he took it apart...
I take mine apart about once a year when the canned air is not as effective anymore, but since I have 4 laptops in the house I don't have to worry about having a guide handy!

Old 03-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I did that once, but then my youngest daughter (2 at the time) came along and thought they were just the neatest thing and perfect for playing with...
I also had a friend who actually took a picture of his keyboard and kept it in his desk drawer for when he took it apart...
I take mine apart about once a year when the canned air is not as effective anymore, but since I have 4 laptops in the house I don't have to worry about having a guide handy!
Hey, that's actually a great idea, too. Take a digi pic of the keyboard and bring it up on your screen. Then you can look at it as you snap in the keys. Thanks Maverick!!! I want to clean my sons' keyboards since I'm scared to think of what might be growing on them. This is exactly how I will do it.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #13
Executive Chef

That's so funny that you say reading glasses. My contacts were so dry today I had to take them out for a day of rest and I'm wearing my readers too.

Just beware, if you are on a Dell laptop and take your keys off, you void the warranty.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

just be careful popping off the keycaps. some kinds are cheap and may snap, and the larger keys, like the spacebar, usually have a little rod or spring to help balance them. it can be tricky to get it snapped back in.

my birds love tp pick away at the keycaps, when i've been dumb enough to let them near the keyboard.
they always seem to pick the letters f,r,e,d,o, and m.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #15
Everymom

I took a typing class in high school and we were required to know where every letter was (even got tested!). I wasn't happy about it then, but I tell you I can type faster than anyone in the house except the 14 year old. (And really, that shouldn't count because I actually use caps and type the whole word)

Sorry, my point was, I'm grateful for that because if I ever popped off the keys, I would know where to put them all back!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:04 AM   #16
Sous Chef

I've put keyboards in the bathtub and washed them. They were so dirty I didn't have to go looking for the dirt.

Just had to make sure they dried completely before use.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:09 AM   #17
Master Chef

Hope you didn't misplace the "anykey"!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:53 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Hope you didn't misplace the "anykey"!

Nope, it's right here

I guess there are some people who don't realize there are many electrical devices that can go swimming as long as they aren't powered before being completely dry.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:23 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Also, be advised, Windows usually has an On-Screen keyboard under Start Menu>Programs>Accessories>Accessibility. In fact, I'm using it right now!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:18 AM   #20
Executive Chef

[BuckyTom - don't read this bit!! You were warned!]

The keyboards at work just get turned upside down and given an almighty whack!! Just don't aim it at a colleague! LOL