"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post

Don't drape your jacket on the back of a chair, hang it up--just as easy, doesn't take any longer.
I have a heavy winter faux fur coat that is reversible. (I look like a snow leopard in it) And I love it. But sometimes I don't always have the strength to hang it on a hanger. It is just too heavy. So for the past two winters it would get tossed on a chair. So I decided that it was time to do something about it. I went and bought a heavy duty hanger that you can stick on a wall and remove without any damage later. I also bought a few more. I put it right on the inside on the closet door right next to my entry door. The rest of them I placed on the back of the bathroom door and the other closet door. Items only worn for a few hours, yet still clean get hung on those. Keeps the clutter down.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #22
Master Chef

Good golly, am I the only person that cleans house on a "as needed" basis?

I figure I'm retired and no longer required to be on a schedule of any kind.
I like it that way. My home is pretty much clutter free, and I don't have any pets. I think that makes a huge difference. I'd love to have a pet again, but living with pet hair is disgusting as I remember. When I see that something needs to be cleaned, I clean it. Otherwise it can wait till it needs to be cleaned, and although my house doesn't look like a magazine picture all the time, it's always good enough that visitors are always welcome.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Good golly, am I the only person that cleans house on a "as needed" basis?

I figure I'm retired and no longer required to be on a schedule of any kind.
I like it that way. My home is pretty much clutter free, and I don't have any pets. I think that makes a huge difference. I'd love to have a pet again, but living with pet hair is disgusting as I remember. When I see that something needs to be cleaned, I clean it. Otherwise it can wait till it needs to be cleaned, and although my house doesn't look like a magazine picture all the time, it's always good enough that visitors are always welcome.
That's hard to keep up with a full time job and a retiree. Would help oodles if the retiree would help with the cleaning.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That's hard to keep up with a full time job and a retiree. Would help oodles if the retiree would help with the cleaning.
I have a doctor friend that is married to a doctor. They both put in long hours. When they first got married, he left his clothes where ever he took them off. Finally the wife asked him, "As a child, did you want to marry your mother? Or did you want a wife of your own?" It took him a day or two to get the message, now shares in the housework. Like she told him, it is his house too.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
You are so right PF!! I must say that Steve is almost eager to share with any cleaning, and that is sure something new to me. Truth be told, I appreciate it but he gets in my way sometimes, or doesn't clean something the way I would do it. He's out doing some volunteer work today, so I'm doing some "tornado cleaning".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have a doctor friend that is married to a doctor. They both put in long hours. When they first got married, he left his clothes where ever he took them off. Finally the wife asked him, "As a child, did you want to marry your mother? Or did you want a wife of your own?" It took him a day or two to get the message, now shares in the housework. Like she told him, it is his house too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You are so right PF!! I must say that Steve is almost eager to share with any cleaning, and that is sure something new to me. Truth be told, I appreciate it but he gets in my way sometimes, or doesn't clean something the way I would do it. He's out doing some volunteer work today, so I'm doing some "tornado cleaning".
We have had "The Talk" several times, I'm lucky when it lasts a few weeks. It's time for me to put my foot down...or maybe up for a swift kick.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
We have had "The Talk" several times, I'm lucky when it lasts a few weeks. It's time for me to put my foot down...or maybe up for a swift kick.
I am curious. Does leaving his mess there work? Or do they just step over it or add to it? I never tried it because during my married years, I was a SAHM.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's not the picking things up...it's the no help with the "heavy" cleaning that needs to be done, vacuuming, washing floors, taking out the trash...if he even ran the vacuum while I was at work it would help. He is also going through a phase of correcting me for every little thing I do..."If you did it like this..." arrrgh.....
Old 02-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It's not the picking things up...it's the no help with the "heavy" cleaning that needs to be done, vacuuming, washing floors, taking out the trash...if he even ran the vacuum while I was at work it would help. He is also going through a phase of correcting me for every little thing I do..."If you did it like this..." arrrgh.....
The urge to kill, comes to mind.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
After reading the last series of posts I count myself as a very lucky woman. I haven't had to ask Glenn to do anything. He's so fastidious with his body and clothing that it's almost too much. I've never met a man like him. In the nearly 3 years we've been together he's not put/left any clothes on the floor. We don't even have a laundry basket because he automatically puts items to be laundered directly into the washer.

He regularly clears the dishes from the table after eating and almost always puts the serving dishes, etc. on the counter for me. Many times he automatically puts the dirty dishes into the dishwasher, too.

He empties the trash and takes it out without any encouragement. The only thing he could do to improve on this task is to tell me when we're getting low on trash bags, but that's really no complaint.

Some of his behavior has to do with his living alone for a very long time and his service in the military.

All I can say is he's a treasure and he definitely listened to his mother growing up.