"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #41
Master Chef

Clair !! Steve just said he may load and unload the dishwasher but he'll never learn how to start it because then it would be his job too.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #42
Master Chef

Yeah, I had to tell hubby that I'd help with snow shoveling last year, it was really bad, and about 5 or 6 years ago he had a bad arthritis attack. But I've told him if it gets consistent, I'm hiring help. It really is true that the minute I "help" him with one of his few jobs, it is mine for eternity. So I wind up being more of a girly wimp than I really want to be. As in, there's a mouse in the house, you're the man, big hunter man needs to kill mice. Obviously I'm not stupid, I can set a mouse trap But once I do it .... he'll never do it again!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Yeah, I had to tell hubby that I'd help with snow shoveling last year, it was really bad, and about 5 or 6 years ago he had a bad arthritis attack. But I've told him if it gets consistent, I'm hiring help. It really is true that the minute I "help" him with one of his few jobs, it is mine for eternity. So I wind up being more of a girly wimp than I really want to be. As in, there's a mouse in the house, you're the man, big hunter man needs to kill mice. Obviously I'm not stupid, I can set a mouse trap But once I do it .... he'll never do it again!
That's my problem...Letting Shrek know I can do things...thanks for the head's up. Time to get helpless...
Old 02-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #44
Master Chef

Yeah, I really hate doing it, it goes against my true nature. And it wasn't an issue when we were younger. I'm tall and not delicate, so I can pretty much do what needs to be done. BUT .... I don't feel I should have to do it all so I wind up playing girly, which is frankly, ridiculous.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Men and their delicate egos.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:41 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

When my BIL was starting his own contracting business, he couldn't afford to hire help. So my sister would watch the kids and I would go to work with him. I learned to install furnaces, electrical wiring, pointing bricks, all sorts of things. But I never let either of my husbands know what I could do. I told my first husband that I just handed tools to him. Heck I can hang wallpaper better than most men with the minimum of waste. And a gallon of paint goes on the wall, not on the drop cloth. To look at me at 4'8" me, you would think I was delicate and helpless. Son #1 has his own contracting business now. And we talk like I was one of the workers. When he mentions buying rosettes for a doorway, I know exactly what he is talking about.

Oh save me, save me from the wicked Simon Legree. I am so helpless!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #47
Senior Cook

My kitchen gets a cleaning every other day. With spills and oil spatters, it needs it. The rest of the house, well... not so much. I tend to let it go until either I have company or I suddenly notice how gross it is and go on a cleaning frenzy.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #48
Senior Cook

My wife has fibromyalgia and Chronic fatigue and I work 8 hard hours a day before I cook dinner and do the dishes daily. The rest of the house is not as clean as we would like...but
Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozz View Post
My kitchen gets a cleaning every other day. With spills and oil spatters, it needs it. The rest of the house, well... not so much. I tend to let it go until either I have company or I suddenly notice how gross it is and go on a cleaning frenzy.
You sound like me. I keep figuring that one of these days I will grow up and act like an adult. I'm starting to have my doubts - I'm 61.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady

You sound like me. I keep figuring that one of these days I will grow up and act like an adult. I'm starting to have my doubts - I'm 61.
I feel better now. I'm 27 and I feel like I should be more of an adult by now. If you'll excuse me, I have to go spend a ludicrous amount of money on clothing while I ignore my gas bill. :-)