"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-22-2006, 05:10 PM   #11
DC Grandma

http://www.tavalite.com/category_s/27.htm

What an interesting stone Sizz.
Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Found you a recipe...here.
I just wanted to let you know this worked!!! Thanks so much!

Old 07-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #13
Executive Chef

If you go into any jewelry store, they are happy to clean your jewelry. I think they offer it at BJs wholesale club, too.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Buy some silver polish. Don't soak the stone in ANYthing. You can get polishat the supermarket.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:16 PM   #15
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I just wanted to let you know this worked!!! Thanks so much!
WOOHOO!! MIL was right again. Glad to hear it worked. I should probably do my tea set.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:21 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Another thing you can do is keep your silver jewelry in a ziploc bag and squeeze the air out ,it keeps the air away that makes your silver turn black
Old 07-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #17
Executive Chef

As some of you all may or may not know, my main hobby is using a metal detector looking for old coins and jewelry. I've recovered many, many, pieces of silver jewelry and silver coins that are tarnished to all heck.

For a quick cleaning, just make a paste with some baking soda and a little water. Rub this onto the piece with a finger and thumb. Once it's shined up, rinse and pat dry. Be careful, as this will scratch the piece, but so finely that you can not see it with the naked eye.

I also use my Dremel, with a couple different felt tips, and some jeweler's rouge.

For the really heavily tarnished pieces that I find, ones that are usually submerged in water or buried in a low-laying, wet, spot, I will get out my little homemade electrolysis unit. This is not really advisable to use all the time, as there is a fire danger and an electric shock danger.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
As some of you all may or may not know, my main hobby is using a metal detector looking for old coins and jewelry. I've recovered many, many, pieces of silver jewelry and silver coins that are tarnished to all heck.

For a quick cleaning, just make a paste with some baking soda and a little water. Rub this onto the piece with a finger and thumb. Once it's shined up, rinse and pat dry. Be careful, as this will scratch the piece, but so finely that you can not see it with the naked eye.

I also use my Dremel, with a couple different felt tips, and some jeweler's rouge.

For the really heavily tarnished pieces that I find, ones that are usually submerged in water or buried in a low-laying, wet, spot, I will get out my little homemade electrolysis unit. This is not really advisable to use all the time, as there is a fire danger and an electric shock danger.
I would love to get a metal detector. It'd be interesting to see what I find in my own yard since this house was built in the civil war era. Whats the most valuable thing you've found, the most interesting, and the strangest?
Old 07-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #19
Cook

Hey all. My ex-husband was a jewlery maker, primarily in silver. Here's the scoop:

Although lots of chemicals will clean silver, what they are in essence doing is removing the top layer of silver along with the tarnish - even baking soda. Certainly, doing that once for a deep cleaning isn't going to make much difference, but over the long haul, it will damage your jewelry (so, everyone - Tarnex= very bad). For instance, if you have delicate designs etched into your silver, it will be dulled and could even eventually disappear with repeated chemical cleanings. If you have a very delicate, thin layer of silver, it will be worn away.

The best cleaner for silver is a thing called "jeweler's rouge." You can get it at jeweler's supply stores and possibly some craft stores. Anywhere you would find supplies for making jewelry. I Googled it and even Amazon has it - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013.

It comes in a stick, which you then rub onto a soft cloth (that will never be the same again, so make sure it's something you're willing to designate as your "rouge cloth"). It's kind of a dark red powdery substance. Use that spot to rub at the tarnished jewelry. If it is REALLY tarnished, it may take a little bit of work, but you'll be amazed how well it really works. For light tarnish, it'll come right off. One stick of rouge will last you for a long, long time.

Once you have cleaned the tarnish, then take a clean portion of the rag, without rouge on it, and polish the silver. You will get a gorgeous, high sheen. Much better than I've ever seen with chemical cleaners. I've done this many, many times myself and it has always worked.

It will work with other materials, too - brass, nickel, etc. But you often have to work a lot harder, especially with brass. But with silver, it works like a charm.

One note - your hands will get very dirty with red rouge and black tarnish, so either wear disposable gloves, or be prepared to wash your hands thoroughly afterwards. Also, be careful not to get it onto your clothes. I think it'll wash out, but it will make you dirty.

Cheers!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
digigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Jeweler's Rouge is what I use with my Dremel. Unfortunately, the stuff I have right now is really, really, soft, and tends to just fly right off the felt pad I use.

As for most valuable, I would have to say, the jewelry that I've recovered.

Interesting, at least for me, is the coins I get. I primarily want to find old coins. Earlier this year, I found an 1873 Seated dime in extremely good condition. What's really weird, is it was practically laying on top of the ground. I found it out in the woods, in the center of a trail, a half-inch under the surface. As it is, this dime is worth between $35 and $130, depending on which variation of the "3" is in the date. To bad it isn't an 1873CC "with arrows" (CC is the mint mark for Carson City, and the "with arrows" denotes some arrows near the date, indicating a slight change in silver content). That dime starts out at $3K. Here's a picture:

The strangest thing I've found (and I've found several), is a fired bullet on school property. It always makes me nervous when I find one, as it means that somebodies kid could have been hit.