"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-22-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
Master Chef

Cleaning Sterling Silver Jewelry

I have an amazing ring that I purchased on a local auction site several years ago. Its a large Tavalite stone set in sterling silver. I was going through my jewelry recently and came across it again. The sterling is very, very tarnished. I tried rubbing it with a polishing cloth but no luck. How do I clean sterling silver jewelry? I only have a few pieces of this metal.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
Everymom

OK, I can't remember exact amounts but hopefully this will work for you. Fill a shallow dish with water. Put a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom of the pan. Add some Calgonite dishwasher detergent (couple tbsps) and dissolve. Then drop your tarnished silver on to the foil. There is apparently a chemical reaction that takes place that cleans your silver.

Note: my MIL says baking soda works too. I haven't tried that but I believe her.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Everymom

Found you a recipe...here.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I have an amazing ring that I purchased on a local auction site several years ago. Its a large Tavalite stone set in sterling silver. I was going through my jewelry recently and came across it again. The sterling is very, very tarnished. I tried rubbing it with a polishing cloth but no luck. How do I clean sterling silver jewelry? I only have a few pieces of this metal.
I picked up a sonic cleaner at a garage sale years ago. You put water and a little dish soap in it, put in your ring, turn it on, and in a minute or two the ring comes out looking as clean as the day it was made. Even if you can't find one at a garage sale, the new ones aren't all that expensive, and are good for cleaning anything small that is not electronic.

Kelly
Old 06-22-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Not sure what Tavalite is, but certain stones do not do well in water. Here are 2 sites that may be helpful.
http://www.floramex.com/li-care-of-silver.htm

http://www.silvergiftstore.com/silpolandsto.html
Old 06-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
Master Chef

Thanks for all your suggestions. Alix............I have to run to the store tonight and I'll grab some baking soda and see how it turns out.

Kelly M..........I'll keep my eye out for one of those cleaners as I have quite a lot of jewelry and it would get plently of use.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
Everymom

Sizz...are you telling me you don't have any baking soda in the house??? That is one of my staples, I never run out. LOL. I use it for everything!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
Master Chef

I know I'm shocked too. But you know what I found instead when I opened that cabinet? Chocolate chips...........so of course I had to eat a few. Mental note to hide chocolate chips in the back of the cabinet for next time I go searching for baking soda.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
Everymom

Heh heh heh...in my world that would be cause for celebration. Chocolate chips rule.

Let me know how the baking soda thing works. My MIL swears by it.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:31 PM   #10
Master Chef

Youngest had a heck of a celebration with them. Thankfully, there weren't very many left and I refrained from eating but a few.

I'll def. let you know on the baking soda. Thanks again!