Clipping Cat's claws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Y'all have been sooo nice with info on an old cat I inherented..

what is a good way to "clip" his claws a bit?

He's quite old, and I saw the thing on Tv with like a "sander" for claws, but I don't want to scare him too much..

His fronts are fine, because he Loves to Claw the tree out back, but His rear claws are getting awfully long..

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

We use a regular toenail clipper and just snip off the very ends.
Don't be wimpy, just clamp down on the nail, and it will snip right
through with no problems. Cats don't mind, either.
Just the tips.. I can't vouch for any more of the nail then that.

If he is patient, have a look at the claw before you clip. You will be able to see a whiter center in it. You must NOT clip that far up. Clip only the clearish claw and not up too far. Be aware too that cats have claw sheaths. Sort of like a snake shedding its sking, a cat will shed the outside of its claw and the new claw will be inside. So don't be surprised if the claw seems to shatter when you clip. Its all OK.

One thing I learned with my pets was that a faint heart in the human is the killer. I'd done a couple of cats, but when it came to my dogs they'd scream bloody murder. It doesn't help that one doggie had several black toe nails and you couldn't possibly see where the quick was. I still have my clippers for emergncies, but generally just pay the bucks and take them to the vets to be clipped. When I lived in Florida, my sis was a vet tech, and she'd clip them for me (it was turn about fair play, when we were at my parents I'd bathe and dip the animals .... in the days before anti flea meds, the animals had to be bathed and dipped weekly). Now I just call my vet and she or one of the techs in the office do it for a nominal fee. If the vet is in, she'll come and look Keiki over, because she's sort of a minor celebrity in town and she takes interest in her welfare. Not that she doesn't with other animals she cares for, just that she's sometimes curiious that Keiki is still alive.

I think it's great that you were willing to inherit a cat! I hope it's going well.

My husband and I recently bought this nail clipper for cats. I'm sure you could find a similar clipper locally at a pet store if you wanted. We've had our cats for several years now, but have never trimmed their claws. Our intentions were good - we didn't want to accidentally hurt them, and one of them is...let's see...what's a delicate way to say demon spawn? Finicky? Yeah, he's finicky. Plus, neither of them are really crazy about having their feet touched. But we want to start clipping because we've ordered a new couch and want to reduce the possibility of damage to it. As we've looked into clipping, we found out that it can actually hurt the cat to not clip their claws - because their claws are much more likely to get snagged or stuck. So I think we're doing the right thing.

But we're taking things nice and slow. We've gotten them to the point, over the last couple of weeks, where they associate the clippers with good things (treats) because we've been regularly getting the clippers out, showing them to the cats, letting them sniff them, etc., and then giving the cats a treat. Most recently we got a bamboo skewer and we're lopping off a bit each time before we give them treats so they can hear the sound the clippers will make and associate it with treats. Next step, start touching their paws while doing all this. And finally, start clipping their nails.

This may sound like a lot of steps, and if your cat is mellow, you probably won't have to do any of them. We have to do things a little differently for the devil cat. It wouldn't be a bad idea to give your cat a treat after nail clippings, though. Positive reinforcement goes a long way.

FWIW - there's a "how to" video on the page I linked earlier, if you'd like to check it out. Good luck!

Just make sure the clipers are sharp...I remember when I did our cat the first time...he hated me for a month...would not even come up and sit on my lap....now I have my son do it ;)

Back
Top Bottom