Coffee and its Water Footprint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
It takes 880 gallons of water to produce one cup of coffee according to National Geographic (using the Water Footprint Calculator).

I just thought was interesting and belonged under Beverages. Is there a Forum you think is more appropriate? Maybe 'stray thoughts'?

Not a comment on the forum you chose. Hard to know what to do with that isolated fact. Is 880 gallons a lot, a little?

Not a comment on the forum you chose. Hard to know what to do with that isolated fact. Is 880 gallons a lot, a little?

As you can see I posted the wrong numbers, which jenny corrected. It's still a lot, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Interesting...

"We live in a watery world, with the average American lifestyle fueled by nearly 2,000 gallons of H2O a day.

What may come as a surprise is that very little of that—only five percent—runs through toilets, taps, and garden hoses at home. Nearly 95 percent of your water footprint is hidden in the food you eat, energy you use, products you buy, and services you rely on.

Find out your water footprint, then pledge to dry it out, joining other nationalgeographic.com users who have already committed to saving thousands of gallons.

The more we save, the more water we leave for healthy ecosystems and a sustainable future. "

http://environment.nationalgeograph...change-the-course/water-footprint-calculator/

Presumably this includes the water required for the plants' cultivation.

I don't know what happened to the reply I thought I'd sent----- Of course water required for cultivation is included.

But that figure I'd first posted was wrong and jenny wisely corrected it. Read all the posts and you'll see the number of gallons for ONE CUP of coffee is greatly reduced. But still a lot IMHO.

Not about coffee but still talking about the water footprint:

"Corn-based ethanol G, which the United States touts as an eco-friendly alternative fuel, places an even higher demand on water supplies than gasoline. A recent study found that as corn-based ethanol production doubled between 2005 and 2008, related water use more than tripled. On average, it takes 3.5 to 6 gallons of water to produce one gallon of ethanol as compared to 1 to 2.5 to produce one gallon of gasoline."

The Water Footprint of Energy

I don't know what happened to the reply I thought I'd sent----- Of course water required for cultivation is included.

But that figure I'd first posted was wrong and jenny wisely corrected it. Read all the posts and you'll see the number of gallons for ONE CUP of coffee is greatly reduced. But still a lot IMHO.
Yes, indeed

...On average, it takes 3.5 to 6 gallons of water to produce one gallon of ethanol as compared to 1 to 2.5 to produce one gallon of gasoline."...http://www.gracelinks.org/196/the-water-footprint-of-energy

Sadly, it's not as simple as simply comparing water footprints. Consider what happens to the water used to grow the corn to make the ethanol. Either via irrigation or rain, plants are watered so they will grow. That water either evaporates and falls as rain again or ends up in the water table for reuse via irrigation systems.

There is as much water on the planet today as there ever was.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom