Cold and Flu Season Has Begun!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
7% of the deaths in the US since the start of the year...Yes, only 12 days, have been because of the flu. The facility is still in quarantine, but we have no new cases. Thank goodness families are starting to take it seriously.

Boston is in a Declared State of Emergency. We have over 700 reported cases. And more hospitals have set up triage tents outside the hospital. I have a appointments next Tuesday and Wednesday at the hospital. I have to admit. I am nervous about going there. I feel like I am gong into the lions den. I have never had the flu and never had a flu shot. I will definitely will be wearing a mask. The last time I remember this city having such an emergency was in 1965 during the measles epidemic. The deaths were being reported everyday in the newspapers.

Part of the problem, like NYC, is that our subway and ground level transportation system goes out past 35 miles. Our commuter rail system goes up to Portland, ME and down to RI. Then I90 brings in commuters from VT. I93 brings them in from the countryside of NH all the way from the borders of Canada. So each day we have more than 1M folks pouring into the city via our transportation system. Scary stuff. :angel:

Addie, you literally don't know what you're missing. I have had the flu and I will take all precautions from ever getting it again, including flu shots every single year without fail since my last bout with flu. It makes anyone who has had a bad case of the flu, a true believer. Anyone who says they got the flu from the shot is just plain wrong and misinformed.
Please get your flu shot Addie, and pray it doesn't get you before it has the two weeks needed to help protect you.

Addie, you literally don't know what you're missing. I have had the flu and I will take all precautions from ever getting it again, including flu shots every single year without fail since my last bout with flu. It makes anyone who has had a bad case of the flu, a true believer. Anyone who says they got the flu from the shot is just plain wrong and misinformed.
Please get your flu shot Addie, and pray it doesn't get you before it has the two weeks needed to help protect you.

addie, what sort of hospital appointments do you have next week? if i were you, addie, i would seriously consider postponing any hospital visits that are not absolutely necessary or time sensitive, for the near future.

you know me well enough, addie, to know that my ideas sometimes tend to swing a bit to the extreme side. but not always.:)

i did seriously deliberate before even voicing a post on this delicate matter. what i decided was to err on the side of caution--qualify my remarks, but not withhold them. (and pf can always chime in to set things aright if need be)

addie, as you already know, it's a very critical time at your bmc hospital, with an overload of patients who are seriously ill. not a place to be if you can possibly avoid it--with or without a mask....

Last edited:
addie, what sort of hospital appointments do you have next week? if i were you, addie, i would seriously consider postponing any hospital visits that are not absolutely necessary or time sensitive, for the near future.

you know me well enough, addie, to know that my ideas sometimes tend to swing a bit to the extreme side. but not always.:)

i did seriously deliberate before even voicing a post on this delicate matter. what i decided was to err on the side of caution--qualify my remarks, but not withhold them. (and pf can always chime in to set things aright if need be)

addie, as you already know, it's a very critical time at your bmc hospital, with an overload of patients who are seriously ill. not a place to be if you can possibly avoid it--with or without a mask....

I do appreciate your advice. I have never had the flu or the flu shot. As a result I am the one who takes care of those who do get it. I don't get the shot because since I have never had it, I can't see injecting something into my body that I appear to have an immunity to.

One year my sister, her husband and four kids all had the flu at the same time. I packed up my kids and went to take care of her and her family. So of course my kids also came down with the flu. Each night after work if my husband wanted supper he had to come to my sisters house. He got the flu. So I had ten people with the flu. I never did get it. Over the years I have been the one to take care of those who get the flu. Whether they are related or not.

My doctor felt that I should have the shot. But when I explained my reason for not having it, he agreed with me. He also feels that I probably have a built in immunity to the flu. When I was growing up I was exposed to all the childhood diseases. Whooping Cough, measles, polio, chicken pox, etc. They are all diseases that are viruses. All of my children had measles, and chicken pox at the same time. I never caught any of them. When it comes to viruses, I just don't get sick even though I have been exposed over and over to them. I am auto immune. You would think I would catch everything. I don't even get a cold. I guess I have my own angel looking out for me. :angel:

I do agree with Vit about changing your appointment for when the hospital is not so busy with an epidemic sized influx of patients. No sense exposing yourself if you don't have to.

I do agree with Vit about changing your appointment for when the hospital is not so busy with an epidemic sized influx of patients. No sense exposing yourself if you don't have to.

I have a blockage in the right side of my neck. It has been six months since I have seen this doctor. I am scheduled for an echogram on my neck. They do it every six months. My vascular doctor is keeping a close eye on it. So this appointment is important. About three days ago I got a cramp in my neck on the right side. Don't know what caused it, but it lasted for about ten minutes. I need to have it checked. Had the cramp lasted any longer I would have headed for the ER stat! :angel:

Yup, sounds like a can't miss appointment! Get several masks so you can change them, they start to get damp from you breathing and bugs like moisture.

Yup, sounds like a can't miss appointment! Get several masks so you can change them, they start to get damp from you breathing and bugs like moisture.

Winthrop gave me several masks yesterday. And the hospital has them right at the door as you enter. They also have the gel hand cleaner everywhere you look. I will grab a few there also. I never even thought about the dampness. I will wear a mask in the car coach. The driver has been exposed to other patients he has been transferring to their appointments. Any one of them could be at the start of the flu. I will be taking every precaution possible. Even waiting for an empty elevator. :angel:

I would also carry a hand sanitizer and do my hands after every surface and do not touch your face until you can wash your hands with soap and water. You'd be surprised how many times you touch your face in a day.

I would also carry a hand sanitizer and do my hands after every surface and do not touch your face until you can wash your hands with soap and water. You'd be surprised how many times you touch your face in a day.

Thanks PF. The hospital doors are all automatic. And I do have a small bottle of the hand sanitizer. Will bring it with me. I do have a habit of leaning my face on my hand. :angel:

I'm phoning for my flu shot appointment on Monday. I have never had one before, but I really don't want to get the flu again.

I swear on my flu shot. I've never had the flu when I get the shot early. This year, however, I was delayed until Christmas, and I came down with the flu less than a week after getting it. I'm still struggling to get over it and am now on antibiotics as the flu turned into a respiratory infection. I usually get my shot in October...which is a bit early. But if it allows me to avoid flu, the shot is a deal.

Sorry you're family is ill. We drink a Silver Mineral Supplement so we hardly ever get colds and if we do it lasts a day or 2 at most.

If you can't get that you can try Immuniforce or Echinacea drops. They all work well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom