"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Arrow Here is the cadillac of all molds

I like how you used a percentage when giving your fav ingredient amounts
makes it easy to adjust recipe to fit mold size.

Speaking of molds:

I BOUGHT THIS SOAP MOLD AND LOVE IT!

15"Lx3 1/4"Wx2 3/4"H (38.1x8.25x6.99cm) Log Silicone Soap Mold <=== link to website
MADE IN THE USA

SILICONE LINER HELPS SOAP POP OUT - ALWAYS READY TO USE!

Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

I live in California - I purchase 100% pure lye AKA sodium hydroxide (in a dry crystal form) from either a soap supplier or better yet -- the hardware store.

My local hardware ordered me a case --- and gave me a 20% off discount.

Ask the hardware store if they offer discounts -- if you make soap often.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
Master Chef

At first a read the name of this thread I thought you're talking about Soup, and I was wandering how do you hand press Soup, then I realise I was wrong.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miter View Post
SOAP

I have made many batches of soap over the last couple years.

Is there any soapmakers out there?

If so, join in and to share tips, ask questions
and cold process handmade soap recipes.

Making soap is good clean fun!
Most Soap makers join other forums to learn and ask questions.
Personally I wouldn't rely on you tube as a TNT reliable source for information.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Arrow Washing hands before cooking.

I received and understand your message. I have seen many useful videos online and on youtube. Soap is pretty easy to make.... I have been making it for several years with success. Clean hands before cooking is protocol. As far as using "other sites " the forums, -- I think this is a good discussion board and am happy that it is available, the forum offers a section for "OFF TOPICS" -this a a good category for soapmaking. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Glossary word:
Saponification is a chemical process that produces soap from fatty acid derivatives. Traditionally, saponification involves hydrolysis of esters under basic conditions to form an alcohol and the salt of a carboxylic acid (carboxylates). Saponifiable substances are those that can be converted into soap. (source: Wikipedia)

OIL PROPERTIES CHART: Soapnuts Library-Oil Properties Chart
Old 03-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #17
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miter View Post
I received and understand your message. I have seen many useful videos online and on youtube. Soap is pretty easy to make.... I have been making it for several years with success. Clean hands before cooking is protocol. As far as using "other sites " the forums, -- I think this is a good discussion board and am happy that it is available, the forum offers a section for "OFF TOPICS" -this a a good category for soapmaking. Thanks for sharing.
Your right. This forum does offer plenty in the " Off Topic Section" As for the right category? Off topic does have a thread going " What else are you making?"
Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Arrow Essential oils (soapmaking)

ESSENTIAL OIL:

Essential oils are all natural plant essences. They can be derived from the plant material by several methods such as: steam distillation, CO2 extraction or cold pressing.

Steam distillation is done with a still. Pressurized steam is forced through the plant matter. The steam then passes through to a cooling chamber, where the steam is converted back to water. The essential oils from the plant are then skimmed off the surface of the water.

CO2 extraction is where liquid carbon dioxide is used to extract the oils. It is similar to the steam distillation in that pressure is used to extract the oils. When the carbon dioxide is allowed to return to its gas state, the essential oil is separated out and collected.

Cold pressed is the process by which the plant material is physically pressed until the essential oil is extracted. Citrus essential oils are commonly processed this way, as the peels are full of essential oils.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

How to render tallow (soapmaking tip)

Did you know that most commercial soap is made with tallow unless the soap is otherwise specified? (example:Olive oil castile soap)

Before you make old fashion soap you have to render the tallow

How to render tallow:

Have the butcher save and refridgerate beef fat scraps. Grinding the fat like sausage speeds up the process, just ask him/her to grind it for you.
Quicktip: Crockpot liners make cleanup fast and easy.

On a crockpot. place the fat, 2 cups of water and 4 TBSP of salt. Turn on crockpot and set timer for atleast 4 hours or until fat is melted.
Carefully pour and strain the fat through a strainer lined with a 3 to 4 layers of cheesecloth into a large bowl, refirdgerate until tallow is solid.

Refrigerate 8 hours or more. The top layer of hard substance that remains is the tallow. Wrap with plastic wrap and freeze until you are ready to make soap.

RENDERED TALLOW READY TO MAKE SOAP
Old 03-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

____________olive oil____soapmaking____________

What is olive oil?

Olive oil is "fruit oil" that is acquired by cold pressing olives. Each time the olive fruit is pressed, different grades of olive oil are achieved.
During the first light pressing, the olive oil is considered to be extra virgin or virgin and is regarded as the highest quality grade for cooking.
A second pressing, with more pressure then the first, yields refined "grade A" olive oil and is considered to be a lower grade because of the presence of free fatty acids.
After the second pressing, it's usually no longer possible to obtain any oil through adding more pressure to the leftover fruit so a solvent called hexane is usually used to remove the remaining oil from the olive. This oil is considered "grade B" olive oil and is, of course, an even lower grade with even more free fatty acids.
Finally, pomace oil is the lowest grade olive oil of all as it is the oil from the pomace (pits) of the olive. Unlike in cooking where you always want to use the highest grade possible, you can use the lower grade olive oil for soap making without any problems! In fact, some people prefer the lower grades because of its quicker trace. Surprised? Well, to be honest with you, so was I. Believe it or not, in olive oil soap making, we can actually break the rule of always using the best ingredients without any negative consequences!

Olive oilVarious pressings of olive fruit… grade of oil varies with subsequent pressings (pomace oil is made from pulp residue and pits and contains a higher percentage of unsaponifiables)A humectant; makes a very mild, gentle soap; soap made from 100% olive oil is good for sensitive or baby’s skin