"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 10-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
Master Chef
Yup, Vera - Starlings can raise quite the racket, as can other blackbirds like Grackles, when they all get together. During the fall we sometimes get flocks that nearly blacken the sky, & yes, they do bring Hitchcock's "The Birds" to mind. Their jabbering can block out the sound of autos when a huge flock is roosting in the trees.

Around here Starlings are considered a year-round resident, although they do swarm in the spring & fall, & I imagine some do move on to & ultimately return from warmer climes.

I know that some folks don't like them, but boy are they industrious & omniverous feeders - always out working my lawn & pastures for insects & weed seeds. I don't mind having them around at all, & actually have raised a few "orphans" for release.

And on a brighter more interesting note, being related to the Mynah, Starlings are excellent mimics, & captive-raised birds have actually been taught to talk! In fact, I own a lovely little book called "Arnie The Darling Starling", a true story written by a Texas woman who found a little naked Starling orphan in her yard, & raised him in her home into a conversing wonder. If you ever come across this book, it's a cute heart-warming read.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
We haven't seen the Juncos here yet. I've never really paid close attention, but I think they come in around the last of November, first of December. We always have quite a few, but they're not noisy at all.
The birds still have all kinds of berries and even bugs to eat on here...we won't feed them until about December.

What do you feed your birds, Kitchen? I always used sunflower seeds and cracked corn, but DH started buying the Wild Bird Feed. I thought my nuthatches had left, until he brought home sunflower seeds one day because they were out of the mixed feed. Lo and behold, here came the nuthatches and the downy woodpeckers!
was always feeding white feed called safflour feed. Now switched to 'wild' feed and surprised to see one bird just now at the feeder. Guess it starts with one. Sure hope so. getting me worried, I don't want them to reject me.

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
Master Chef
Well, saw my first Junco this morning. I knew it wouldn't be long before they arrived here because I saw a small group of White-Throated Sparrows (another of our winter-only residents) on Monday.

So far this has been our coldest October since we moved here 11 years ago, so I'm not surprised. I am, however, not looking forward much to the next few months weather-wise. . . .

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote