"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
College isn't cheap!

Look what I had to pay and get help with 2 classes

Summary for Semester Selected Fall 2009 Description Charge Payment Balance ART MAT FEE $45.00

$45.00
BOOKSTORE-MAIN-FALL $56.39

$56.39
CULINARY MAT FEE $0.00

$0.00
TUITION-STATE-FALL $1,022.00

$773.00
VISUAL COMM MAT FEE $30.00

$20.00
GENERAL FEE - MAIN $77.00

$55.00
HEALTH SERVICES FEE $20.00

$0.00
REVOLVING LOAN DUE $291.00

$291.00
LOAN/PAYMENT PLAN PROCESS FEE $10.00

$10.00
REVOLV LOAN APPLIED
$291.00
$0.00
CASHIER - VISA PAYMENT
$10.00
$0.00
Semester Charges: $1,551.39
Semester Credits and Payments: $301.00
Semester Balance: $1,250.39
Anticipated Credits (Not included in Balance): Description Credit Pell Grant $1,338.00
Total Anticipated Credits: $1,338.00





Just think if I wanted to be a docter?

__________________

__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Master Chef
 
jabbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 5,481
Tell me about it! I'm paying for two classes at the community college for myself (nearly $1000) and then about $5500 for fall semester at UVA for my son. That doesn't include living expenses since he will be staying off campus this year!
__________________

__________________
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,300
Yes... I spent $10,000 for my year at school last year, and my son's education is costing about $15,000/yr. And we are getting it for less than what the going rate is around the country. It's nothing for folks to spend $30,000+/yr.
I've sunk a lot of $$ into education.
at least you have a grant...
__________________

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,631
During my junior year in college I decided to take the self-employment route as an opportunity arose and dropped out of college. I've been self-employed for 30 years this year. I think I made the right move...
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
During my junior year in college I decided to take the self-employment route as an opportunity arose and dropped out of college. I've been self-employed for 30 years this year. I think I made the right move...
Very cool Roadfix, What was your major?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Yes... I spent $10,000 for my year at school last year, and my son's education is costing about $15,000/yr. And we are getting it for less than what the going rate is around the country. It's nothing for folks to spend $30,000+/yr.
I've sunk a lot of $$ into education.
at least you have a grant...
Wow Where did you go if I may ask?
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
Very cool Roadfix, What was your major?
I took film making.
Good thing I got out and didn't pursue that career.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I took film making.
Good thing I got out and didn't pursue that career.
Really? What part of film making didn't you like?
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
Really? What part of film making didn't you like?
The writing part. I never liked it and was never good at it. All other aspects of film making, I enjoyed.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
The writing part. I never liked it and was never good at it. All other aspects of film making, I enjoyed.
I'm like you in that aspect of film developing I enjoy everything but Tray processing and reeling the film on the film reel in the darkroom , However I really love the rest of it and I'm just learning to man up on things I don't want to wuss out on such as reeling the film up on those film reels, and then the tank processes where you stand there for an hour waiting on 1 photo, Well I should have said 1 photo x15 people.
__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Tell me about it! I'm paying for two classes at the community college for myself (nearly $1000) and then about $5500 for fall semester at UVA for my son. That doesn't include living expenses since he will be staying off campus this year!
I know what you mean!
__________________

__________________
Chile Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.