"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #101
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
A Baja Style fish taco. The fish should be grilled or lightly fried(not a fish stick, fish nugget or heavily readed0. Cabbage, not lettuce, and shredded super thin. Pico, fresh and cooling. Lime. A warm tortilla, four preferably. The sauce is where the biggest differences come in. . . I have had Fish taco all over, from Baja Cantina(Va Beach) to Wahoos(Honolulu). . .the sauce is what a lot of people over do, imo.

Seriously, I could eat fish tacos 5 days a week.

So my Asian fish taco(which I like better) isn't a proper fish taco...and I prefer soft corn tortillas

I'm trying to think of combos that are bad in every possible way and it is really hard
Take fish and cheese, normally not a good idea but I make a fish reuben that is wonderful
Of course wine and chocolate comes to mind

Old 11-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #102
Everymom

Does anyone actually like the jello with marshmallows and fruit in it? And is there a requirement on the type of jello used?

Old 11-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Does anyone actually like the jello with marshmallows and fruit in it? And is there a requirement on the type of jello used?
When I was a kid, I always wanted it when I could get it. My mother refused to make it. I was usually disappointed, but I wanted it again, next potluck we went to.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #104
Everymom

I think it must have to do with what you ate growing up. It was never made in our house, and the first time I saw it I was kinda freaked out. And it just tasted...wrong. The one that had shredded carrots and other stuff in it REALLY weirded me out.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #105
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I think it must have to do with what you ate growing up. It was never made in our house, and the first time I saw it I was kinda freaked out. And it just tasted...wrong. The one that had shredded carrots and other stuff in it REALLY weirded me out.
Mom used to shred Iceberg lettuce and put it in Lime Jello...ick! I like mandarin oranges in orange jello. But that's about it for Jello additives.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #106
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Mom used to shred Iceberg lettuce and put it in Lime Jello...ick! I like mandarin oranges in orange jello. But that's about it for Jello additives.
I have never heard of that one. I have had Jello with the shredded carrots, but never lettuce. That is the first for me.

I make Jello now, mainly for Mark's lunch, and I don't add anything to it. His favorites are raspberry, black cherry and strawberry... the sugar-free kind.

One food combination I didn't like as a kid was pretzels coated with melted chocolate. There was a place in the local shopping mall that just made big, soft pretzels. When I was older, I tried one, then I was hooked.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:35 AM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The only combination I ever ate... more than once was the one my grandmother used to fix on Thanksgivings, some kind of red jello (cherry or strawberry) with slices of bananas in it. I haven't had it in probably 35-40 years or so. If I saw it again somewhere I might take some, but I don't see me making it.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #108
Sous Chef

I like jello OK with just fruit. The addition of marshmellow, cottage cheese, etc. grosses me out. Things I like a lot that grosses DH out: Beets, Buttermilk with fresh ground pepper and crumbled cornbread, Mayo, red onion and tomato sandwiches, fresh avocado cut in half, sprinkled with sea salt, lime juice and filled with fresh pico de gallo scooped out with a spoon.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #109
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Years ago, after my grandfather's funeral, we had a get together at my parents' house. An elderly woman brought a dish containing corn, peas, baby shrimp and lemon jello! It was like she opened up her cupboard and dumped in whatever she had on hand. We cousins were in the kitchen rolling on the floor, we were laughing so hard! Gross!

A former colleague used to make, for office potlucks, a combo of pork and beans, cut up hot dogs, and lime jello as a joke. He even published his "recipe" in the agency newsletter!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #110
Sous Chef

Beyond gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Years ago, after my grandfather's funeral, we had a get together at my parents' house. An elderly woman brought a dish containing corn, peas, baby shrimp and lemon jello! It was like she opened up her cupboard and dumped in whatever she had on hand. We cousins were in the kitchen rolling on the floor, we were laughing so hard! Gross!

A former colleague used to make, for office potlucks, a combo of pork and beans, cut up hot dogs, and lime jello as a joke. He even published his "recipe" in the agency newsletter!
At work we used to have a chili cook off once a year. One of the Air Force "wing nut" LT. made seafood chili that was so nasty the chili offerings on either side of his were avoided due to the smell of his.