Combinations that just strike you as wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vanilla Bean said:
4me and chopper's post have everything I like.. lol

When I was a kid, I loved Miracle Whip and iceberg lettuce sandwiches. I know, I'm a strange bird. My mom and I make macaroni salad using half mayo and half MW. She adds tuna to hers though. And I even love tuna-noodle casserole.

Where I come from (I hear that Alan Jackson song), there is a restaurant known for its fish fries. They serve a big piece of fried haddock with a nice wedge of lemon, coleslaw and fries. I can't imagine any kind of seafood (well, shrimp, lobster, scallops, etc) without lemon. I love broiled fish with Old Bay and a squeeze of lemon juice. YUM!

A few years back, I made a ham with pineapple and cherries on Christmas Eve for Mark.

My grandma used to make the "marshmallow salad" all the time for birthdays and other occasions. I even love the green bean casserole with the french-fried onions on top. I guess my family has been a big influence on me

As far as fish tacos... when I make them, I like to use Rotel tomatoes, iceberg lettuce and whatever cheese I have on hand.

I guess it's all in a person's personal preference.

One thing I will never understand is I've seen some people eat potato chips on sandwiches. I've never tried it, so I really don't know. That seems strange.

I love potato chips on sandwiches- especially sloppy joes. It just adds some crunch! I've been racking my brain trying to think of some combination of foods that I don't like, and I think I like just about anything edible lol. I like just about everything you all have named other than the toothpaste and juice. Maybe fruit and cheese? I don't get that one.

Not that I've ever heard of it, but the combo from hell would be a liver, brussels sprouts and sweet potato casserole...

Everything else here sounds pretty good!

LOVE the fish tacos!

I like liver, but...

Attachments

• brussel sproutz.jpg
    brussel sproutz.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 180
chips on sandwiches? yessirree!

a sandwich my mom made for me a lot when i was a kid was a "brooklyn special".

boiled ham, lettuce, and mayo on white bread with a side of kosher dill pickles. but i kicked it up a notch and added doritos. they add spice and a different kind of crunch than the lettuce, so it's both a taste and texture thing.

another fave along the same lines is potato chips and raw red onions on tuna sandwiches.

I wear combinations in the winter, in fact a north wind is predicted for Saturday so I have them on now.

I am not a fan of booze in my food unless it has been cooked.

When I was in my teens my Mother went through her Julia Child period and everything was soaked in booze a la Betty Ford.

irish car bombs are deadly, tatt. i got sick on whiskey as a kid, so all whiskey drinks are out for me.
oddly enough, though, as i don't like coffee either, i like irish coffees. go figure.

hey, along your ancestry, i'm not a big fan of dark and stormys.
I downed an ICB in seconds. LOL Not a fan.

I am not a fan of booze in my food unless it has been cooked.

When I was in my teens my Mother went through her Julia Child period and everything was soaked in booze a la Betty Ford.

That's very interesting because Julia never soaked anything in booze. She cooked with wine. There's a BIG difference.

Tattrat, what is a "Proper" Fish Taco and what makes it "Proper"?

A Baja Style fish taco. The fish should be grilled or lightly fried(not a fish stick, fish nugget or heavily readed0. Cabbage, not lettuce, and shredded super thin. Pico, fresh and cooling. Lime. A warm tortilla, four preferably. The sauce is where the biggest differences come in. . . I have had Fish taco all over, from Baja Cantina(Va Beach) to Wahoos(Honolulu). . .the sauce is what a lot of people over do, imo.

Seriously, I could eat fish tacos 5 days a week.

I love fish tacos made with walleye. I haven't had any other fish tacos, but I'm sure I'd like them if I like the fish. I wouldn't, for example, care for a fish taco made with smoked eel. But then, I don't care for smoked eel. I'd love to make a lobster taco...but the price of lobster...well, I'd rather eat the lobster dipped in drawn butter.

Eggs and ketchup (catsup) double "ick" to me, as is marshmallows with jello and whipped topping (you will never find it at my holiday table) lol!
Side note: (because this thread has evolved into the "who loves/hates Fish Tacos" thread). I love 'em!

Last edited:
In Israel pizza with canned tuna as a topping is big. I eat it for my husband but I find it odd and not particularly delicious.

Eggs and ketchup (catsup) double "ick" to me, as is marshmallows with jello and whipped topping (you will never find it at my holiday table) lol!
Side note: (because this thread has evolved into the "who loves/hates Fish Tacos" thread). I love 'em!

I don't like store-bought catsup with just about anything. I thought it sounded particularly bad with eggs.

Then, I made some catsup. We had a whole bunch of tomatoes and I had already canned a bunch and made tomato preserves. I figured I would make it for my, then husband, who liked it with lots of stuff. OMG. It was so good that I tried it with everything and with eggs it was wonderful.

I'm with you on the marshmallows and Jello. I don't even use Jello. If a recipe calls for gelatin, I make it with gelatin powder. I have used gelatin sheets, when I lived in Denmark.

Back
Top Bottom