Combinations that just strike you as wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A Baja Style fish taco. The fish should be grilled or lightly fried(not a fish stick, fish nugget or heavily readed0. Cabbage, not lettuce, and shredded super thin. Pico, fresh and cooling. Lime. A warm tortilla, four preferably. The sauce is where the biggest differences come in. . . I have had Fish taco all over, from Baja Cantina(Va Beach) to Wahoos(Honolulu). . .the sauce is what a lot of people over do, imo.

Seriously, I could eat fish tacos 5 days a week.

So my Asian fish taco(which I like better) isn't a proper fish taco...and I prefer soft corn tortillas

I'm trying to think of combos that are bad in every possible way and it is really hard
Take fish and cheese, normally not a good idea but I make a fish reuben that is wonderful
Of course wine and chocolate comes to mind

Does anyone actually like the jello with marshmallows and fruit in it? And is there a requirement on the type of jello used?

Does anyone actually like the jello with marshmallows and fruit in it? And is there a requirement on the type of jello used?

When I was a kid, I always wanted it when I could get it. My mother refused to make it. I was usually disappointed, but I wanted it again, next potluck we went to. :LOL:

I think it must have to do with what you ate growing up. It was never made in our house, and the first time I saw it I was kinda freaked out. And it just tasted...wrong. The one that had shredded carrots and other stuff in it REALLY weirded me out.

I think it must have to do with what you ate growing up. It was never made in our house, and the first time I saw it I was kinda freaked out. And it just tasted...wrong. The one that had shredded carrots and other stuff in it REALLY weirded me out.

Mom used to shred Iceberg lettuce and put it in Lime Jello...ick! I like mandarin oranges in orange jello. But that's about it for Jello additives.

Mom used to shred Iceberg lettuce and put it in Lime Jello...ick! I like mandarin oranges in orange jello. But that's about it for Jello additives.
I have never heard of that one. I have had Jello with the shredded carrots, but never lettuce. That is the first for me.

I make Jello now, mainly for Mark's lunch, and I don't add anything to it. His favorites are raspberry, black cherry and strawberry... the sugar-free kind.

One food combination I didn't like as a kid was pretzels coated with melted chocolate. There was a place in the local shopping mall that just made big, soft pretzels. When I was older, I tried one, then I was hooked.

The only combination I ever ate... more than once ;) was the one my grandmother used to fix on Thanksgivings, some kind of red jello (cherry or strawberry) with slices of bananas in it. I haven't had it in probably 35-40 years or so. If I saw it again somewhere I might take some, but I don't see me making it.

I like jello OK with just fruit. The addition of marshmellow, cottage cheese, etc. grosses me out. Things I like a lot that grosses DH out: Beets, Buttermilk with fresh ground pepper and crumbled cornbread, Mayo, red onion and tomato sandwiches, fresh avocado cut in half, sprinkled with sea salt, lime juice and filled with fresh pico de gallo scooped out with a spoon.

Years ago, after my grandfather's funeral, we had a get together at my parents' house. An elderly woman brought a dish containing corn, peas, baby shrimp and lemon jello! It was like she opened up her cupboard and dumped in whatever she had on hand. We cousins were in the kitchen rolling on the floor, we were laughing so hard! Gross!

A former colleague used to make, for office potlucks, a combo of pork and beans, cut up hot dogs, and lime jello as a joke. He even published his "recipe" in the agency newsletter!

Last edited:
Beyond gross

Years ago, after my grandfather's funeral, we had a get together at my parents' house. An elderly woman brought a dish containing corn, peas, baby shrimp and lemon jello! It was like she opened up her cupboard and dumped in whatever she had on hand. We cousins were in the kitchen rolling on the floor, we were laughing so hard! Gross!

A former colleague used to make, for office potlucks, a combo of pork and beans, cut up hot dogs, and lime jello as a joke. He even published his "recipe" in the agency newsletter!

At work we used to have a chili cook off once a year. One of the Air Force "wing nut" LT. made seafood chili that was so nasty the chili offerings on either side of his were avoided due to the smell of his.

JGDean said:
At work we used to have a chili cook off once a year. One of the Air Force "wing nut" LT. made seafood chili that was so nasty the chili offerings on either side of his were avoided due to the smell of his.

Lol! Sounds like my mom's seafood lasagna! Whatever leftovers (there were a lot) she had would go into the freezer to be reheated for the next unsuspecting victim.

<...Buttermilk with fresh ground pepper and crumbled cornbread...

I've met a lot of folks who like buttermilk that way. I've tried it....not bad, just not good enough to buy buttermilk for. My Cat Dinky gets all butttermilk that enters my home. At 6:30pm each evening, he gets his two tablespoons of buttermilk in a cup saucer. It just fills the indent. I can set the clock by his reminding yells. At 6:35pm, he raises hell if he hesn't had his buttermilk yet!

What a big baby he is!:cat::ROFLMAO::cat::wacko:

PattY1, so sorry you are still upset. As you can see, your thread has gone the way every thread on the internet goes. . .some(a lot)on topic responses, some off topic, people voicing their opinions. . .I guess it's just a shame that some peoples opinions are different than yours. When I thanked you, it was honestly to thank you, and say it's just the internet, no need to get bent out of shape. Seriously, it's lunch and dinner, not life and death. As for your comment to me, don't worry, it doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you.

I have never heard of the ways people are using buttermilk, only have used it in dressings and marinades. Is it a regional thing? Buttermilk is also good for tenderizing and mellowing out some game like bear, elk, and venison.

The only way I would use buttermilk is with making fried chicken, biscuits or salad dressing.
My mom would drink buttermilk. One thing though she would only drink it out of something that wasn't clear. Drinking it from a clear glass would leave stretch marks on the glass :huh:

I gave myself the "I don't know..." when I followed a recipe here that used buttermilk in cupcakes, because I do NOT like buttermilk on its own. And they were darn good cupcakes!

A Baja Style fish taco. The fish should be grilled or lightly fried(not a fish stick, fish nugget or heavily readed0. Cabbage, not lettuce, and shredded super thin. Pico, fresh and cooling. Lime. A warm tortilla, four preferably. The sauce is where the biggest differences come in. . . I have had Fish taco all over, from Baja Cantina(Va Beach) to Wahoos(Honolulu). . .the sauce is what a lot of people over do, imo.

Seriously, I could eat fish tacos 5 days a week.

i would prefer the cabbage but my colon does not. so i have to go with lettuce, not to much, just a bit.

I LOVE jello with whipped cream!!! With fresh, pitted bing cherries, and pineapple chunks. Mmmmmmm

Taxlady, how about a catsup recipe? :) I LOVE ketchup (or ranch dressing) on just about anything, including eggs, so I would e interested in trying catsup

I LOVE jello with whipped cream!!! With fresh, pitted bing cherries, and pineapple chunks. Mmmmmmm

Taxlady, how about a catsup recipe? :) I LOVE ketchup (or ranch dressing) on just about anything, including eggs, so I would e interested in trying catsup

I don't love ranch dressing on eggs, but I love to dunk pizza into it.

Ranch dip is my sauce of choice for fries, especially grilled wedges with lots of steak seasoning on them, but there is no inkling for me to try ranch on a baked spud. I've had it on pizza and that's pretty good, too.

Back
Top Bottom