"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 09-19-2008, 07:03 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Microsoft had decided to pull the ads calling it a "teaser campaign" but they really did bomb. Oh well. It was good clean, if not odd, fun, while it lasted.

quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
There is an article about this ad today in USA Today online.
It was a teaser ad, now the "real" ads come out, or as Microsoft says, chapter II. The ads were about nothing, like Seinfeld's show was about nothing. Now they are going to be more direct in promoting PCs and Windows, to counter Apple's ads of the past couple years dissing PC users as washed up geeks, while Apple users are more hip.

I'm not in advertising, but as a consumer I thought they were a waste of money. It's not like the Superbowl where they string a series of commercials together right then and there. Watching the Gates/Seinfeld commercials without a clue what they were getting at until reading about it today just seemed like a waste to me, but they were entertaining.

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:36 AM   #13
Head Chef
It's hard to say if the commercials where a failure or a success without Microsoft coming out and mentioning their intent.

(Yes, I *do* have a degree in advertising laying around somewhere at the house)

It's really dependent on their goal. If it was a product campaign, I would say it failed mightily. However, as a campaign to raise either brand awareness or corporate awareness they very likely hit their targets. Why? Because they've been talking about the ads on the radio when I drive in to work in the morning. We're discussing it here, etc.

I think Microsoft may be in the early stages of trying to "reposition" themselves in the public eye. Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails horribly. Either way, it usually is an interesting process to observe.

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
It's an ad for Microsoft. Notice the little Microsoft/Windows flag thing at the end and the conversation about Microsoft as they're leaving the store?
It is actually an ad for Vista if you want to get technical

This ad has generated a ton of interest. I am on a number of forums and almost every single one has a thread about this commercial. I have also heard numerous news stories and podcasts. If their goal was to generate talk then the ad has been highly successful.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
It's Bill...
I'm forced to LIKE it..lol!
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #16
Head Chef
Someone once said, and accurately I might add, that there is no such thing as bad publicity. They were right. Even the bad stuff gets your name and face out there.

Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote