Company's Comin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Company's Leaving

Four out of six of our family left this afternoon for the drive home to Florida. SO's sister and granddaughter (19) remain for another 9 days! (much to our surprise).

On top of that, my brother's son and daughter-in-law from California are visiting my sister and her hubby nearby. I'm off to a get together there tomorrow with her whole family while SO remains behind to entertain what remains of her family.

Whew, nine days. They'll know there way around the state of Mass by then ;)

Sounds like you have had quite a time. And it is not over yet. After they have all gone home, you are going to need a vacation with SO. Glad you are really enjoying yourself. It is good to have family around. :angel:

Just got back from a day trip to Kennebunkport, ME. More seafood for lunch. We ate at an oceanside restaurant that tried to improve the traditional lobster roll and ruined it. The lobster roll was served in a split, toasted whole wheat foccacia bread with lettuce under the lobster to bulk up the looks. The mayo was served separately in a cup for you to mix it in (!?). The lobster roll was $6 more than a steamed lobster dinner! What's up with that? They didn't have any Sam Adams, they served the lobster roll with chips instead of the french fries called for on the menu. Not going back.

Granddaughter is visiting a college friend Sunday PM through Monday PM or Tuesday AM. The current version of trip has them leaving on Tuesday.

Our visitors are in bed early for their trip back to Texas. We had a fun 1.5 days, dinner here tonight, we had salmon, asparagus and fresh squeezed lemonade...all purchased at the farmer's market this morning.

Just got back from a day trip to Kennebunkport, ME. More seafood for lunch. We ate at an oceanside restaurant that tried to improve the traditional lobster roll and ruined it. The lobster roll was served in a split, toasted whole wheat foccacia bread with lettuce under the lobster to bulk up the looks. The mayo was served separately in a cup for you to mix it in (!?). The lobster roll was $6 more than a steamed lobster dinner! What's up with that? They didn't have any Sam Adams, they served the lobster roll with chips instead of the french fries called for on the menu. Not going back....

Did you complain? I would have complained at least about the chips-for-fries sub if you were supposed to get fries. Himself said if you're on Yelp you should post a warning review. ;) Could you please PM me the name of the place? We're hoping to get up to the Kennebunks sometime this year. Most times when we're up that way we hit either Warren's Lobster House in or Bob's Clam Hut, both in Kittery, but we've been know to try something different. The place you were at today isn't one we'd like to try.

"the cheese thing"?

I live in NW Illinois, real cheese country. I come from a cheese family (my paternal grandfather was a fromagier in Quebec). So, when people visit, we do that cheese thing. That is to say, we head around to various cheese making places.

When my sisters visit, I know this will be a hit. But with this friend I wasn't sure. But then she said she wanted to make us a dinner of mushroom pasta and goat cheese. I just cracked up. We found the mushroom pasta locally, and we were sort of planning a cheese tour anyway. So I just told them we'll go to the goat cheese place. (they're called factories, but I really hate that, they're very artisinal and wonderful).

In this case, we went and talked to the people who make the cheese (this is why hubby and I do this). At one point you have to have your shoes cleaned because you are walking though the factory. That was the cheese curds place (and many other wonderful cheeses). At the goat cheese place, I put several products up to be toted, and the cashier told me that half of the stuff I was buying had a sell by date of a few days later, and she just gave them to us.

It was a bit weird in that when she said, the "sell by" date is in less than a week, it is free."

Why didn't I go back and grab more?

But, yes, if you are smart enough to take a vacation to the NW IL, NE IA, or S WI area, and you like cheese, well you're foolish if you don't do a cheese tour!

Just got back from a day trip to Kennebunkport, ME. More seafood for lunch. We ate at an oceanside restaurant that tried to improve the traditional lobster roll and ruined it. The lobster roll was served in a split, toasted whole wheat foccacia bread with lettuce under the lobster to bulk up the looks. The mayo was served separately in a cup for you to mix it in (!?). The lobster roll was $6 more than a steamed lobster dinner! What's up with that? They didn't have any Sam Adams, they served the lobster roll with chips instead of the french fries called for on the menu. Not going back.

Granddaughter is visiting a college friend Sunday PM through Monday PM or Tuesday AM. The current version of trip has them leaving on Tuesday.

:huh: What were they thinking! The Lobster Roll was started in Maine. You cannot improve on perfection. What is so hard about a New England style hot dog bun, chopped celery and mayo with the lobster? :angel:

A Brief Interlude of Peace

The last of the Foridians left at 11:39 AM. So is at work. It's quiet here. I expect it to last another 15 minutes or so then my daughter and grandson arrive for an afternoon visit.

The last of the Foridians left at 11:39 AM. So is at work. It's quiet here. I expect it to last another 15 minutes or so then my daughter and grandson arrive for an afternoon visit.

Enjoy the quiet and then the fun of seeing the grandson. I know how important he is in your life. A treasure to hold close. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom