"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #11
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Yep, been there. You need the RAM so that you can GET the upgrades. What a pain in the butt huh?
__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,877
Texasgirl, is it *memory* (aka RAM, the 1 GB you mentioned in the specs) or *hard drive space* that you think is causing your problems? Alix and Andy are talking about two different things. When you say you couldn't download McAfee because of "memory," I wonder if you're referring to disk space.

I used to do desktop support and network adminstration IRL - now I do Web site design. My PC here at work has 1 GB RAM and a 145 GB hard drive (probably way more than most people will need) and I'm runnng Windows XP Pro. I routinely have 7 or more programs open at one time and have no problems with RAM, although I could use another gig - couldn't we all?

Make sure the system you're considering is expandable, so you can always add more of either when you need it.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
1gb of ram will be fine for what you want to do, but the more the better. Especially since iTunes is such a hog.

Have you priced out buying a new computer? I just got my wife a new Dell laptop with 2gb of memory and 80gb hard drive for around $600. I am sure a desktop version will be cheaper than that. $1200 is a lot for what you will end up with.

That part that has me concerned the most though is the 10" widescreen. Is that number correct? That seems VERY small to me.

Amy, pro would not necessarily be better than what you have. If you are not having any problems then stick with what works for you. Pro is more for advanced users.

My wife has Vista. We have not had any problems with it, but there are some things that are annoying. I like XP better.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #14
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 581
They have a good deal at Comp USA on Black Friday if you have one near by. Here is the snipit of the ad.

__________________
NAchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
1gb of ram will be fine for what you want to do, but the more the better. Especially since iTunes is such a hog.

Have you priced out buying a new computer? I just got my wife a new Dell laptop with 2gb of memory and 80gb hard drive for around $600. I am sure a desktop version will be cheaper than that. $1200 is a lot for what you will end up with.

That part that has me concerned the most though is the 10" widescreen. Is that number correct? That seems VERY small to me.
OMG, finger went haywire, it's a 19" widescreen.
I know that $1200 is a lot, but, right now, with medical bills, property taxes and Christmas, I just can't do anything but this. We never do this at all. We don't even do credit cards. DH motto, if I dont have the cash for it, then, I don't need it. Of course, emergencies are a little different and frankly, THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!!!
__________________
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
I had a feeling it must have been a typo

Well in that case, it will work for what you want it for. It certainly will not be the best machine in the world, but that is not what you are after anyway. Go for it.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Texasgirl, is it *memory* (aka RAM, the 1 GB you mentioned in the specs) or *hard drive space* that you think is causing your problems? Alix and Andy are talking about two different things. When you say you couldn't download McAfee because of "memory," I wonder if you're referring to disk space.

I used to do desktop support and network adminstration IRL - now I do Web site design. My PC here at work has 1 GB RAM and a 145 GB hard drive (probably way more than most people will need) and I'm runnng Windows XP Pro. I routinely have 7 or more programs open at one time and have no problems with RAM, although I could use another gig - couldn't we all?

Make sure the system you're considering is expandable, so you can always add more of either when you need it.
What my computer has is really sad, 518mb of ram and 20gb of hard drive.
__________________
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Yeah that won't get you far. that 518 is killing you I am sure. You will see a huge difference if you get the machine you are looking at.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:52 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
I know that $1200 is a lot, but, right now, with medical bills, property taxes and Christmas, I just can't do anything but this. We never do this at all. We don't even do credit cards. DH motto, if I dont have the cash for it, then, I don't need it. Of course, emergencies are a little different and frankly, THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!!!
You might want to look into the financing options they offer at Wal-Mart and Circuit City and compare the cost to the rent-to-own option. It seems to me that $1200 is double or more the original cost of a decent PC - if you have good credit, you should be able to get a better deal than that. Good luck.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #20
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 581
I agree that what you are getting is not worth the price. I would look into getting a used one for a few months until you have enough $$ to get another unit.

Here is a link to Dells site with the low end at $499 with better specs than what you listed.

Good luck!!
__________________

__________________
NAchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.