"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
Master Chef

Computer crashed

Well, my computer finally bit the dust this time. Was on the phone all day and noone could help. Seems, my computer is basically obsolete. I need some crucial updates and 5 of them crash my computer, so, I can't take them. Well, I am thinking of getting one through a rent to own because, with Christmas coming, I can't afford to just go buy one outright. My computer only had the basic ram and stuff. The one I'm looking to get is a DEll with a 10" widescreen, AMD Sempron {?} 3600+ Processor, 1GB memory, 60GB hard drive, 24x combo cd-rw/dvd, vista and ms works 8.5.
Is this a good choice as far as memory? Mine bogged down so horribly and I know it was the memory that did it. I couldn't even download Mcafee because of not having enough memory. I know it will cost me more by renting to own, but, it's not too bad. It will come to about $1200.00 in the end. What do you think of the memory and what it comes with, is it good?
Mine main things are my Kodak gallery and Itunes. Music and pics are what I have. Nothing else really big.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Your specs sound fine. That's enough capacity to handle most. I have 2 Gb of RAM and a 60 GB hard drive and that's plenty for me.

I have heard that MS Vista is experiencing problems. You may want to stick with an XP operating sytem.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
Head Chef

My laptop has been giving me problems, so I've been watching a few on ebay. I'm confused about specs myself. Anyone know what windows XP 'pro' means? Think mine is Home edition? Good luck TG. Buying another puter can be very confusing.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
Everymom

Texasgirl, can you just buy a stick of RAM for your old system and keep it limping along til you can afford a new system? We did that and it works well for us.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

XP is a version of the Windows operating system. Pro is the most complete version. The home version has fewer features and is less costly for home users.

MS has a newer operating system called Vista but I have heard of problems.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
XP is a version of the Windows operating system. Pro is the most complete version. The home version has fewer features and is less costly for home users.

MS has a newer operating system called Vista but I have heard of problems.
So, Pro would be better than what I have now (home edition)? Vista is a little scary for me, as I've never used it.

I bid on a (used) wireless (same model I have now), on ebay, and some dummy placed bids at close to $6,000 - when it only should have gone as high as $300-400)... so the laptop was relisted, even though I was next to top bidder. (It is used - but for about a year.) I'm a little miffed the seller didn't offer me a second chance buy.

TG, didn't want to hijack your question. Maybe you could consider a used puter with more memory. That's what I'm looking at, but undecided myself.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I have Vista... no problems and it's easy to use. I really like it.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Texasgirl, can you just buy a stick of RAM for your old system and keep it limping along til you can afford a new system? We did that and it works well for us.
That would work, except, my security won't even work right.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
Everymom

OK, I live in computer heck here so I completely sympathize. Google a site called CastleCops and they will walk you thru getting your security up and running. Trust me on this, these guys know what they are doing and will help you. Buy some more RAM and give that a go. Much cheaper solution til after the holidays. The computer companies will all be having sales after Christmas too so if you can just patch up your system...

Good Luck TG.

Edit: Oops, didn't think that my He__ word was on the censor.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
OK, I live in computer heck here so I completely sympathize. Google a site called CastleCops and they will walk you thru getting your security up and running. Trust me on this, these guys know what they are doing and will help you. Buy some more RAM and give that a go. Much cheaper solution til after the holidays. The computer companies will all be having sales after Christmas too so if you can just patch up your system...

Good Luck TG.

Edit: Oops, didn't think that my He__ word was on the censor.
Yeah, I can try them, but, even the guys that are with the company for the security took hold of my computer and couldn't get it going because their software upgrades to meet Microsoft and without those updates, it won't work right.