"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
To even the casual geek, nothing. I have, however, recovered data from hard drives that have been low level formatted (theoretically returned to the factory state), partitioned in a different way, and populated with new data. It's all a matter of how much time you can spend. For the why, see my first post in this thread.
is there a free app that can write zeros to a laptop with vista, out there?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Thanks bullseye. This actually helps a lot. So basically, often times the data is still really able to be recovered, but it is cost prohibitive.
That is absolutely correct, GB. The cost can easily run into the thousands; the really advanced stuff can be well into the tens of thousands. The state of the art stuff, I have no idea. It needs to be really worthwhile.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #33
Master Chef

also bullseye how do i reset my IP? i can no longer get onto a favorite board and i have lost my JAVA options in the advanced tab of internet options.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
is there a free app that can write zeros to a laptop with vista, out there?
Yes, but not, as far as I know, selectively and effectively. You need to erase all and start from scratch.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
also bullseye how do i reset my IP? i can no longer get onto a favorite board and i have lost my JAVA options in the advanced tab of internet options.
For the IP reset, open a command prompt, type "ipconfig /renew" and hit enter. I'm not sure what your JAVA issues are; can you expand?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Yes, but not, as far as I know, selectively and effectively. You need to erase all and start from scratch.
well i had something go whacky and i now can't get onto a board that i know is fine. i spoke to the owners and they say it is not on their side. and said maybe i need to reset my ip. i can't get onto that board using any stand alone browser like chrome, firefox, netscape or avant even AOL explorer doesn't work. i CAN get onto the board through the AOL platform which i hate using except to get my email. i have lost jave options and no java appears in my add/remove but i know it is there. i think there are some components of java missing. i have done a complete reinstall of my OS but it did not cure the problem with java or the website. when vista does a reinstall it places a copy of the old files in my c drive. not a partion. when i open computer in the laft pane it has local disk c and in the list there is listed:
windows
windows.old

i had a program to write my XP to zeros but i don't think it will work for this puter.

any help would be useful.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
To even the casual geek, nothing. I have, however, recovered data from hard drives that have been low level formatted (theoretically returned to the factory state), partitioned in a different way, and populated with new data. It's all a matter of how much time you can spend. For the why, see my first post in this thread.
Formatting a hard disk drive (HDD) does not erase it. I was simply pointing out that if you write zeros over every bit on a HDD, there is absolutely nothing left to recover. Some utilities will write random ones and zeros over every bit and make multiple passes. That's not to be thorough, but to attempt to conceal the fact the wipe every took place.

There are a couple of points on the data recovery issue that I failed to mention. Things like System Restores, temporary files and meta data are often overlooked. The enormous size of HDD's themselves can be a problem. Let's say you have a 250GB HDD that has 199GB of free space and today you delete a 1GB file. Tomorrow you have 200GB free and you add a new 1GB file. What are the chances that the new file will overwrite the old file (which still physical resides on disk)? That file, or significant portions of it, might easily still exist in six months.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
well i had something go whacky and i now can't get onto a board that i know is fine. i spoke to the owners and they say it is not on their side. and said maybe i need to reset my ip. i can't get onto that board using any stand alone browser like chrome, firefox, netscape or avant even AOL explorer doesn't work. i CAN get onto the board through the AOL platform which i hate using except to get my email. i have lost jave options and no java appears in my add/remove but i know it is there. i think there are some components of java missing. i have done a complete reinstall of my OS but it did not cure the problem with java or the website. when vista does a reinstall it places a copy of the old files in my c drive. not a partion. when i open computer in the laft pane it has local disk c and in the list there is listed:
windows
windows.old

i had a program to write my XP to zeros but i don't think it will work for this puter.

any help would be useful.
OK, I don't want to derail this thread about GBs question and turn it into tech support. I don't mind helping out, though, so why not PM me and I'll see what I can do.

BTW, your zeros program for XP probably didn't do what you thought it did; if the boot sector and whatever is used for file allocation control are not also overwritten, you're in the minor leagues.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Formatting a hard disk drive (HDD) does not erase it. I was simply pointing out that if you write zeros over every bit on a HDD, there is absolutely nothing left to recover. Some utilities will write random ones and zeros over every bit and make multiple passes. That's not to be thorough, but to attempt to conceal the fact the wipe every took place.

There are a couple of points on the data recovery issue that I failed to mention. Things like System Restores, temporary files and meta data are often overlooked. The enormous size of HDD's themselves can be a problem. Let's say you have a 250GB HDD that has 199GB of free space and today you delete a 1GB file. Tomorrow you have 200GB free and you add a new 1GB file. What are the chances that the new file will overwrite the old file (which still physical resides on disk)? That file, or significant portions of it, might easily still exist in six months.
I didn't say "format," I said "low level format." Different thing, entirely. A single pass of zeros does not remove the underlying data.

At this point in the thread I want to say that I only jumped in to answer a valid and interesting question from GB. I do this kind of thing for $$$ and DC for my love of cooking. I'm not on the clock, so I'm going to head off to find something interesting to do with the lamb chops on the counter. No offence intended, and if you want some links and/or white papers, let me know.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Quote:
I didn't say "format," I said "low level format." Different thing, entirely. A single pass of zeros does not remove the underlying data.

At this point in the thread I want to say that I only jumped in to answer a valid and interesting question from GB. I do this kind of thing for $$$ and DC for my love of cooking. I'm not on the clock, so I'm going to head off to find something interesting to do with the lamb chops on the counter. No offence intended, and if you want some links and/or white papers, let me know.
If you write zeros over every bit on a HDD, there is absolutely never left to recover.

As for your second point, I couldn't agree more. This is supposed to be a holiday weekend. Let's go cook something.