"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-14-2005, 07:46 PM   #1
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Computer monitor question

Any computer gurus out there? My monitor is really bright, kinda like the brightness in on way too high! But adjusting the controls does not help. Is my monitor going out? Is is better to leave the monitor on, or keep turning it on and off when I need to use the computer? HELP!!! (sniff sniff)

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
Sous Chef

There are several possibilities for this problem.

This can be broken down into two catagories; Hardware and Software.

The possiblilities under Hardware are that your monitor or your Video Card could indeed be going out.

The possibilities under Software are that your Video Driver or one of it's associated files may have been
1. deleted
2. changed
3. conflicting with another driver
4. become corrupted

or the settings, such as Gamma, Sync Rate or Brightness may have been accidently changed either manually or by another application.

Unfortnantly, in these days of automatic updating driver problems are becoming harder to diagnose.

Let's try changing the settings in your software first though.

If your running one of the Windows 32 bit operating systems (such as Windows 95 or above) you can RIGHT click on your desktop to bring up a popup menu, then select Properties.

Then select Settings tab, then click on Advanced and find the Gamma Curve or Gamma Ramp (same thing, different versions of Windows, different Names. Go figure).

Adjust your brightness and contrast accordingly.

If this dosen't work you have a more serious problem.

For this you may want to contact a local shop.

Be prepared to answer the following questions:

1. How old is the machine?

2. What make/model is your machine?

3. What Operating System are you using?

4. When did you first notice the problem?

5. Is this the first time you have encountered the problem? or does it come and go?

6. Did the problem appear suddenly or has it progressed slowly to this point?

7. Did the problem occur during use? or at bootup? or do you not turn your machine off?

8. Did you encounter the problem after servicing the machine? (either have work professionally done, or install something yourself) (this could indicate a loose video card, dirty card connection or possible short across traces on the motherboard or video card)

9. Did you encounter the problem after installing a program or update? (this could indicate a driver problem, such as a conflict or corruption)

10. Does turning the computer and/or monitor off for long periods of time (such as overnight) seem to cure the problem briefly before the problem re-appears? (this could indicate a thermal problem).

One more thing to consider is buildup of dust inside the machine. Most household dust is electricly conductive and can bridge (short) solder points on the motherboard and cards.

It is reccomended that you open your box at least twice a year and vaccuum the boards as well as remove the faceplate and vaccuum the air intakes to prevent overheating.

If your not comfortable doing this yourself most shops will be glad to do it for you.

I just realized I forgot to answer your second question.

Whether to turn the monitor off or not depends on how long your going to be away from your keyboard (or AFK).

In a setting such as an office environment where you are only going to be away from your desk for less than a couple of hours it is better to leave the monitor turned on. It's rather like going to sleep then waking up again. The roughest time any electronic device has to endure is the sudden rush of energy followed by the thermal stress of cold components having to heat up (or cool down when turned off).

If your going to be gone from your computer for more than a couple of hours, you can let your monitor take a nap.

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:24 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Well Im a computer geek.
SOunds like your monitor IS going.
--What model is it?
--How old is it?
--Have you changed any settings lately?

If you have NOT changed anything since the problems... AND you have adjusted settings on your monitor to compensate and its STILL not looking correct. YES! Its time to get another monitor.
If you want Consumer Reports Best Picks / Best Buys, then PM me and I will tell ya.

You can get a NEW and NICE 17" monitor for around $120.00!!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:29 PM   #4

Thanks Raven and Sushi! I have not made any changes lately. It started fading towards the bright light Tuesday-ish. Right now it is kinda ok, but when it was warming up, the screen image looked like it was vibrating!!! ack!! We have all went to flat screens at work, so we have a BUNCH of monitors not in use, so I think my friendly bank CEO is going to let me have one!!! yippeee! Hopefully that solves the problem quickly!!!! Again, thanks for your help!!

Old 12-15-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
cartwheelmac

I don't know about computer equipment, just computer programs.

Cameron
Old 12-16-2005, 12:22 PM   #6
Sous Chef

LOL! Yeah I agree that it definatly does sound like it's going dead (especially if the horizontal hold is having trouble locking in when you power up) but I just didn't want to say it hee hee.

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:55 PM   #7

haha! Raven! My version of "horizontal hold" was turning my head sideways, squinting, and grabbing onto my desk for dear life. All to find out the real truth later it was the computer screen and not my vision. Thanks for tellin' me like it is!!!!!