Concerned about oil/gas prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amber

Executive Chef
On the news tonight they said that the Alaska pipeline will soon close for weeks or maybe months due to corrosion. This is going to increase gas and oil prices even further this week. I dont know about all of you, but in the winter it costs a fortune to heat our house. I am really concerned about what to do to make ends meet this winter.

Yes indeed we have to go with the flow. I guess my question should have been, what do you all do to conserve your heat in the winter months?

I'm concerned. At this rate people can lose jobs because they can't afford the gas to get back and forth to work. Sure they can take public transportation but the price of that is going up too. Ann winter's in Ohio can be brutal. Are we going to have to sit on the couch bundled under 20 blankets to keep warm ?

We have a wood stove, but we only use it on the weekend because by the time we get home from work it would take too long for it to get going and then we would need to go to bed. During the weekend though it is great.

Other than that we like to grab a bottle of wine and a big blanket and snuggle in together on the couch.

It costs me about 45 bucks to fill up my Altima, which gets 32 mpg. You absolutely have to keep up with the maintenance.

As far as home heating is concerned, we all have to worry (at least any of us that actually live in a clime where heating is necessary). My home is extremely old and drafty. It was charming when I first bought it, now it's just old and drafty, haha.

If you can, and if you don't already have them, get thermostats with timers as a start. If the house is empty during the day, have the heat set lower than you'd find comfortable, like 64 or so. If you have a timer, have it raise the temperature to 70 about an hour before you get home. Then, when you get home, and if you can stand it, lower it to 68 and keep sweats on. Make sure you dry your hair completely so you don't feel chilled. Use flannel sheets. Try to let as much sunlight in as possible during the day. Turn the heat down again when you go to bed, and if you use a timer, have it go up slightly before you wake.

If you have drafts in the windows and doors, and cannot repair the windows, put towels at the sill. Light candles, too. Romantic and they give off warmth.

If you like baking, do it when you can appreciate the warmth of the oven. In other words, don't bake and then go out, leaving a nice warm home. Eat well balanced meals and get plenty of exercise.

Above all, keep warm with layers, both on your body and on your bed. But, don't sacrifice comfort too much. If you have to, do without something else, like take out, or starbucks (or anything you treat yourself too that you really really could do without). It's not fair to work hard all week and not be able to come home to a comfortable house.

Me...? I plan to stay in bed all weekend in the cold weather, getting quality time with my boyfriend.

middie said:
I'm concerned. At this rate people can lose jobs because they can't afford the gas to get back and forth to work. Sure they can take public transportation but the price of that is going up too. Ann winter's in Ohio can be brutal. Are we going to have to sit on the couch bundled under 20 blankets to keep warm ?

Yep, thats pretty much what we do, lots of blankets and sweat pants too. I hate having to keep the heat so low and to feel cold in our house. We end up going upstairs because it's alot warmer.

GB said:
We have a wood stove, but we only use it on the weekend because by the time we get home from work it would take too long for it to get going and then we would need to go to bed. During the weekend though it is great.

Other than that we like to grab a bottle of wine and a big blanket and snuggle in together on the couch.

yep we have a woodstove too, but the price of wood has gone up as much as oil. I do like your idea of a bottle of wine and cuddling up with my husband :)

Verablue, you bring up some very important things to do. I do have a timer on my thermostat, we reduce the heat to 60 when we are not home, and then to 68 when we arrive, same with our water heater which is electric and on a timer.

I have to seal off drafty windows too, I use the crystal clear plastic for those windows, and throw rugs under drafty doorway (our house is old too). Baking is a good idea too, and I leave the oven door open when the baking is done so as not to waste any valuable heat! :LOL: Think I'll take your advice and get some flannel sheets. Thanks!

without it becoming too political, this is what we get for the dying days of having an oil tycoon in office.

Not the pipleline...BP! shuting down the largest oil production facility in the Northern Alaskan tundra. This is the price we pay for a war that costs $30Million a day to fund, it has gotta cmoe from somewhere.

Well, you can always do what we did and move to Mexico! No need for heat here in Puerto Vallarta, ever. Now air conditioning is another matter, but we do without it most of the time...only turn it on for an hour or so at night to cool down the bedroom. I read an article today about how we are using up SO many energy resources to cool ourselves down because of global warming, thereby making the whole problem more serious...I suppose that a political discussion is inappropriate here, but having an administration that denies the problem and refuses to participate in international accords doesn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom