Concerned about our puppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
For all of you pet owners who have experience, I have a concern about our puppy. She got her shots today along with medication for intestinal worms...eek...and she's been over-active and pooping so much. I'm concerned cause my DH didn't ask anything about the reactions. She even got into the mud and started eating it. She's been so calm and happy since we got her until today. Worse thing is that our little one had let himself be licked by Abby (the puppy) since we didn't know about the worms. I'm concerned for my toddler's health now too. What should we expect?

Dina said:
For all of you pet owners who have experience, I have a concern about our puppy. She got her shots today along with medication for intestinal worms...eek...and she's been over-active and pooping so much. I'm concerned cause my DH didn't ask anything about the reactions. She even got into the mud and started eating it. She's been so calm and happy since we got her until today. Worse thing is that our little one had let himself be licked by Abby (the puppy) since we didn't know about the worms. I'm concerned for my toddler's health now too. What should we expect?

The best action to take is to comfort the puppy and call your vet. There are 24/7 vet's if your puppy needs immediate care.

Does your local hospital have a phone number where you can call and they have a nurse who answers calls that aren't an emergency but do require some information? (sort of like a triage nurse except its not a medical emergency so it can be handled over the phone).

I would consult doctor about your toddler's health due to the exposure.

As for the puppy, reactions to shots are normal, but I have to admit the reactions you have discribed seem a bit bizzarre. If the symptoms have not subsided by morning, a call to the vet would be advisable.

She is finally sleeping. If she continues these symptoms, I will call the vet. Thank you all.

Basically, with my experience, once they get the shot for worms, they need to poo them out, so thats normal. As far as your baby having any problem from the dog, I dont think worms are transferred to humans from an animal, but just call your vet and pediatrician. Never had a problem with that in all my years with a baby and puppy.

How to protect your Dog and Family from Roundworms

Nearly every puppy in the world is born with roundworms. This is
because the roundworm’s larvae are transmitted from the mother to
the puppy while it is still in the womb. A female dog can harbor
roundworms in her tissue, often making them immune to dewormings.

The roundworms then have the opportunity to emerge during
pregnancy through the mother’s bloodstream and infect the unborn
puppies. Roundworms can also be transmitted to newborn puppies
through the mother’s milk during nursing.

Roundworms are also easily transmitted to humans. Young children
are most susceptible because they are always sticking their
fingers in their mouths! Roundworms are transmitted to humans and
dogs through eggs that are in a dog or puppy’s stool. They can
either be ingested through direct eating of the stool or by
eating something else that has eaten the stool (the dog eats a
bird, mouse, etc. that has eaten the dog’s stool).

Everyone should wash their hands frequently after handling the
puppy or dog and make sure that all feces is removed from the
yard and disposed of on a daily basis. Most infections in people
are mild and cause no symptoms at all. However there have been
cases of worms migrating to the liver, brain, and eyes.

Symptoms of roundworms in humans include:

•Anemia

•Appetite Loss

•Difficulty Breathing

•Constipation

•Cough

•Cramping

•Diarrhea

•Fever

•Hives

•Itching

•Nausea

•Chest Pain

•Muscle Pain

•Passing of Worms

•Rash

•Skin Lesions

•Swelling

•Vision Disturbances

•Vomiting

•Weight Loss

Infected puppies can become quite ill and heavy infestations may
lead to convulsions and even death. Most puppies that die are
around the age of two to three weeks old. Puppies should be
wormed at ages 2, 4, 6 and 8 weeks of age. Adult dogs should
receive yearly stool samples from their veterinarian to check for
worms. Roundworms will look like spaghetti in the puppy’s feces.

Symptoms of roundworms in dogs include:

•Potbelly

•Diarrhea

•Gas

•Vomiting

•Lack of Energy

•Slow Growth Rate

•Dull Coat

•Coughing (if immature roundworms have migrated to the puppy’s
lungs)

Some dogs may show some or all of these symptoms while others may
show no symptoms at all. When adult roundworms are seen in the
dog’s stool this is often because of ongoing disease in the bowel
or sometimes because the worm burden had become so great that the
worms are crowding each other out.

Treatment of roundworms is not dangerous and is highly effective.
Buy your wormers from the vet and give them regularly as
instructed. The tablets are not difficult to give if you train
your dog to take them in tiny bits of cheese or put them into
sweets. The best way to protect your family and dogs from
roundworms is through a regular program of both medication and
prevention (keeping the yard clean of feces).

I would keep an eye on your toddler, but I remember being wormed as a kid...the dogs and I had a tendency to kiss with tongues (yuk!) and if your little one does need worming its not the end of the world at all!

I would ask the vet about reactions to the medication. Also, if there is a problem with diarrhea, mix up some ground beef(drain the fat) and rice to get the little one "regular" again.

Dina said:

I'd like to offer you some advice, but I'm not sure of what you are saying.

Do you mean she's been overactive and pooping so much since receiving the vaccs and worm med? How old is you puppy? This is quite normal puppy behavior. Or is the pooping diarrhea? That would be quite different than just pooping a lot, which might be related to how much you are feeding and how many times/day.
Perhaps she was calmer before the trip to the vet due to the worms, but now she's feeling better and is more active. Lethargy can accompany vaccs, not being over-active. I would be more worried if she weren't over-active.

I wouldn't worry about eating mud either. Some dogs like to "graze". Some dogs do it though because of a food deficiency, like if you are feeding food bought from a grocery store. They don't sell good pet foods in grocery stores because a quality company won't discount their product enough and they like their foods to be sold in more specialized stores.
I'm not saying some dogs don't do alright on Pedigree, Purina, Iams... but they aren't good food. You need only to understand how to read a food label on dog food, which most people don't even look at. They see 26% protein and think that it is all digestible protein.

I also don't understand "she's been so calm and happy...."
How do you know she isn't happy? She's overactive and eating mud. Is she doing something else you didn't mention? Again, I would be more worried if she were calm and laying around.

What kind of worms were they, round, hook, whip, tape?
Most worms live in the intestinal tract and aren't spread from licking. Now if your toddler was sniffing the puppy's butt .....:ohmy:

Just throwing things out there for you. You know your puppy best, but I didn't read anything I would be concerned over.
Oh, if they were whip worms she's probably getting them again if she's eating mud from where she relieves herself.

Sensible advice from pacanis. My first thought was that your puppy was being very active because she was so relieved at not being left at the vet's and glad to be back home.

True! I'd rather see her active than laying around feeling sick. Great advise; thanks pacanis. The puppy is 8 weeks old and has a HIGH count of hook worms. We've started the treatment and feel she'll be okay. She is active but it's mostly because she's getting used to being around us and feeling happier. Our 4 year old make her chase him all over so that's enough to get her going. Plus she's home alone all day till we get home after 4:00.

Last edited:
Here's a site I use if I want to look up something specific. You may find it useful. Home

I don't recall seeing a picture of your new puppy in Pet Pics yet......;) hint, hint

Back
Top Bottom