"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2006, 08:38 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,692
so we should all just roll over, or bend over to corporations, and take it.

"thank you sir, may i have another!"

not for me or mine.

the slogan has a very specific, very attractive (to particularly sexually inquisitive children) double entendre.
it's a bit of sleaze in sheep's clothing to entice the buyers, feeding into that dirty little side no one knows you have.

i'm ok if that's aimed at adults, but not in something predominantly used by children.

caveat emptor. the only way you can affect change is not to patronize the company, but also to make sure they know why. the middle level managers and creative people who make up this stuff are only as good as what they've done lately.
__________________

__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:46 AM   #22
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
Who is the arbiter of what is the "line" and what isn't?
The general public would be. it is up to the public to voice their opinion and outrage if a company does something as tasteless as this.
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:47 AM   #23
Head Chef
 
phinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Surface of the Sun
Posts: 1,801
No, I'm not saying roll over. I'm saying that to "go after companies" because something "might be negative" is not the best approach.

You are correct. Don't patronize them. Make sure that others you know don't patronize them. Let the company know why. But to get shrill is not going to get any kind of results. This is a fleeting ad that would be forgotten a month from now if it's not turned into a media circus or screamed about from the highest mountaintops. Remember: Any publicity is good publicity. Witness Paris Hilton.
__________________
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:51 AM   #24
Head Chef
 
phinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Surface of the Sun
Posts: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
The general public would be. it is up to the public to voice their opinion and outrage if a company does something as tasteless as this.
Who is the "general public?" I don't sense a general outrage over this commercial in my circle of associates because it is a minor part of the world and the "general public" apparently doesn't even know it exists. It's so far off their radar it might as well be Oceanic Flight 815.

The "general public" have caused a lot of grief and pain over the millenia. Do you *really* want the "general public" to be the arbiter of all things?

The more you shout about it the more people will see the commercial, which is the ultimate goal of advertising.

Again, any publicity is good publicity if it puts your product in the public eye.

You can make your statement without "going after companies."
__________________
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:54 AM   #25
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
I'm saying that to "go after companies" because something "might be negative" is not the best approach.
I do not think there is any doubt that this IS negative, not that it might be negative. Just look at the reaction is has gotten here on this thread. Not a single person has said yeah that is a good slogan. Everyone agrees that it is tasteless at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
This is a fleeting ad that would be forgotten a month from now if it's not turned into a media circus or screamed about from the highest mountaintops.
That is an assumption you are making, but remember this ad is aimed at children. What if a child who is currently being abused sees this ad and learns from it that touching is good. After all, TV said so. A childs mind is very impressionable. What if that child does not say anything to anyone about his abuse because TV said touching is good? I think to say that this will be forgotten a month from now could be short sighted. Sure I am coming up with a worse case scenario, but if it negatively affects even one single kid then that is too many.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:59 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,692
if making money is what defines good publicity, then paris is your girl.
but not all publicity is good. my company is terrified of lawsuits creating bad publicity, therefore affecting ratings. so they cave in to every ridiculous claim. apparently, some people are more equal than others, and all you have to do is complain, and you get what you want. but that's another story.

getting back to paris, i think she's pretty skanky, and i would suspect that much of the country over the age of 35 does also (unless you're really lonely ).

selling your morality creates a debt that is eventually paid back with extreme prejudice.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,692
on the subject of the general public, isn't that what we call a democracy?

if not the public, with our religious, political, and other leaders in place, whom should make policy?

never underestimate the power of a single voice in a democracy.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:12 AM   #28
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
Who is the "general public?" I don't sense a general outrage over this commercial in my circle of associates because it is a minor part of the world and the "general public" apparently doesn't even know it exists. It's so far off their radar it might as well be Oceanic Flight 815.
Part of the circles you associate are the people on this site. We are a diverse group that spans the entire world. We have young and old alike. The people here have a sense of outrage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
The "general public" have caused a lot of grief and pain over the millenia. Do you *really* want the "general public" to be the arbiter of all things?
If not the general public then who? If a company decided to put up an ad that was negative towards Blacks or Jews, or then the general public would be outraged and the ad would be pulled. Why should this be any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
The more you shout about it the more people will see the commercial, which is the ultimate goal of advertising.
Again, any publicity is good publicity if it puts your product in the public eye.
Unless the commercial is pulled because it is so over the line. All publicity is not good regardless of cliches. A company can fold because of bad publicity. If a company whose main demographic is kids is seen as pomoting child abuse then you can bet parents will stop buying their products.


Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
You can make your statement without "going after companies."
Why not go after the company if they are doing somethng morally wrong? Why should they get to just do and say whatever they want without consequences? If the public doesn't make them be responsible for thier actions then who will?
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:16 AM   #29
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
phinz, your argument for free speech is eloquent. I am not sure though that you are seeing this through a parents eyes. As parents, we are supposed to protect our kids from danger and since TV is such an influential media it is something parents watch diligently.

Speaking as a parent, I think this is a poor choice of ad. Speaking as someone who deals with kids who have been abused, I think this ad is sending the wrong message. There are much better ways to advertise the product. No one needs to "shut down" Nintendo, but a strong message to the dork who OK'ed that ad is definitely in order.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #30
Head Chef
 
phinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Surface of the Sun
Posts: 1,801
I actually *am* looking at it as a parent would, because when in a discussion such as this I try to see all sides so that I may make informed commentary in return, and I agree that a strong message to the one who gave the green light would be the perfect way to make the point. I guess I'm more questioning the "anything that might be perceived as negative should be vilified and crushed by the nebulous general public" mentality than anything else. Again, the people of Salem were the "general public" and look where it got them. (I'm trying so hard not to invoke Godwin's Law right now. )

You can't censor everybody all the time. You have no right to *not* be offended. If you shriek about something to the four corners of the world more people would notice it than would if you just made your point to the company and moved on. There's a great example of that right here in this discussion. Corazon wouldn't have even known the ad *existed* if it hadn't been brought up.

And yes, Paris Hilton is a complete skank, but she wouldn't even be on the radar either if she didn't have all the publicity, negative and positive, that she's had. She would be just another spoiled little California rich girl with more dollars than sense.
__________________

__________________
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.