"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #51
Head Chef

That line's been blurred for millenia. It's just that we're exposed to it in a more forceful way these days if we experience any media exposure whatsoever.

Parenting is, and should be, a full-time job in itself. Only you can engender your kids with the way things should be. It takes a village? Nope. It takes a parent that actually cares, and even then your kids will do what they please in the end, because that's part of growing up.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #52
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Quote:
Your child *might* grow up to be an axe murderer. Should we lock them up based on "might?" "Might be negative" is a *really* broad brush to be painting with.
Your logic is flawed. We arest people that are drunk behind the wheel. Why? Because they are very likely to cause an accident. I understand where you are comming from. But logically it is not sound.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

i think deadly sushi is a witch.

bring me wood and oil!!!!!!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:25 PM   #54
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
That line's been blurred for millenia. It's just that we're exposed to it in a more forceful way these days if we experience any media exposure whatsoever.

Parenting is, and should be, a full-time job in itself. Only you can engender your kids with the way things should be. It takes a village? Nope. It takes a parent that actually cares, and even then your kids will do what they please in the end, because that's part of growing up.
This is true, I totally agree with your views of parenting, but as parent's we we have enough bad influences to do battle with without having our TV making our job all the more difficult.

Our daugther picked up the phrase "Well DUH!" from Michelle in Full House, a program which I believed, up till then, a nice family oriented program, but when it came time to break our daughter of a disgusting habit that she picked up from TV, her rebuttal was "If it's not nice then why do they put it on TV?". She just couldn't grasp the simple concept that sometimes they put bad things on TV, even in otherwise good shows. After that she was not allowed to watch Full House anymore, and we quit watching after that as well.

The problem was that the producers of Full House gave into something that they believed would be a cutsy catch-phrase to boost ratings, without thinking of the consequences of their actions. This is an all too common experience among media agencies today. They seem to be completely out of touch with the real world. Statistics and demographic studies never tell the whole story.

I'm trying to remember the exact program where I saw these commercials, my daughter got me hooked on Ed, Edd and Eddy (Cartoon Network) and Spongebob Squarepants (Nickelodeon) so it might have been one of these, not sure.

The good news though is that since everyone has started writing to Nintendo, I haven't seen the commercial advertised in this area anymore where I was seeing it several times a day, so I'm wondering if they've pulled it?

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
Your logic is flawed. We arest people that are drunk behind the wheel. Why? Because they are very likely to cause an accident. I understand where you are comming from. But logically it is not sound.
No, it's not. Your example isn't the same as the statement I made. We arrest people that are drunk behind the wheel because it is illegal to drink and drive. The law was passed because it is dangerous to drink and drive, but we did not arrest people for drinking and driving before the law was passed.

The effect of being arrested for DUI is predicated by the cause of the law disallowing driving while intoxicated, *not* by the fact that drinking and driving is dangerous. The effect of the law being passed was predicated by the determination that drinking and driving were dangerous.

You can't arrest someone based on what they might do. You can arrest them for what they do if it is contrary to the law. If the law states you can't drink and drive, then you can be arrested. If the law does *not* state that you can't drink and drive, you can't be arrested legally. That's the difference. The logic is completely sound.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:32 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
You can't arrest someone based on what they might do.
you can if there's sufficient evidence that they are planning to commit a crime. but that is very tough to make stick.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:46 PM   #57
Head Chef

And that would only be based on a law that says that you can be arrested for what you are planning, not act of "might" do it.

If it's illegal to plan a bombing of a public place, you will be arrested for conspiracy to commit terrorist acts, or whatever law exists to make the planning illegal. The actual crime is the planning, or conspiracy to commit the acts, not the possibility that you might carry through with those acts. Those are two separate things. Making it illegal to "might do" is too close to having Thought Police for my comfort.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #58
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Quote:
No, it's not.
Yes..... it IS!!!
Old 03-25-2006, 01:59 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

phinz, did you ever work for the clinton administration?

lol, slick phinz...

Old 03-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #60
Head Chef

Nah. I just wrote Op/Ed pieces for the newspaper. I also have spent a lot of time debating law, free speech, individual rights, et cetera. I'm a registered Libertarian and a firm believer in individual rights. My political views have changed over the years (I voted for Clinton twice and Bush once. I voted Libertarian last time) and I grow more and more distrustful of the "general public" and their own arbitrary morality compass as I see more and more people squalling about how their feelings were hurt or their sensibilities were offended.

The fact of the matter is, we cannot arrest people based on what they "might" do. We can only arrest them for what is illegal. It's not illegal to drink. We "might" get in the car and drive, though. Should we be pre-emptively arrested before we ever get in the car? No. We are only arrested when we do drink and drive, because the act of driving drunk is the illegal act, not the act of "might" kill somebody while driving drunk. If the act of "might" kill somebody while driving drunk was illegal we wouldn't have bars, convenience stores, restaurants with liquor licenses or package stores, because somebody "might" drink alcohol and drive.

Don't like the fact that advertising "might" influence children or "might" be taken in a negative manner? Great. Scream all you want. But don't be surprised, and don't protest, when somebody infringes on your life because they perceive that you "might" do something they find offensive/negative, though it may seem perfectly acceptable to you.

Again, to me, variety truly is the spice of life, and I love the variety I find here. I value everybody's opinion, no matter how misguided it might be.