Concerned Parent! HORRIBLE Nintendo Slogan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raven

Sous Chef
Am I being oversensitive to this? or is this just creepy?

Nintendo is running a new commercial in our area where you see a pack of 7 and 8 year old girls dressed up like princesses running through an obsticle course. So far it's fine, but at the very end you breifly see the words "Touching is Good"

WHAT!?! Whoa! Slow down there fireball. Let's delve into a little associative psychology why not? I see this somewhat like the old joke "Say Stop three times real fast. Stop, Stop, Stop. Now what do you do when you come to a green light?" It's basic Pavlovian Classical Conditioning, the person usually blurts out "Stop" before they realize their error.

Now you are doing basicly the same thing with little girls and the phrase "touching is good"??

I'm sorry if I am making more of this than should be but this just strikes me as both sick and dangerous. At the very least it creeps me out.

What's more, I don't even know why they would adopt such a slogan in the first place. It's not like their little game machine is touch-screen or something, or if it is they certainly haven't been advertising it around here. Just the game for it.

What do you think? Am I over-reacting here or is this a dangerous and irresponsible advertising campaign?

We've spent all these years teaching our Children that "Touching is NOT good" to have them come along with a catch-phrase TARGETED AT CHILDREN, that is going to stick in their heads is irreprehensible!

I've already written to Nintendo expressing my concerns about their new advertising campaign (I went to www.nintendo.com and clicked on Contact Us) and have spoken to a number of other parents who feel the same way I do. One of them brought up the point "Because the slogan appears so breifly on screen it almost bordered on subliminal advertising"

If you haven't seen this commercial, you may view it online Here
God Bless
~ Raven ~

Last edited:
It seems that these issues arise quicker than we can work on doing anything about them, but it does help to call the companies on our concerns. My dil did something in her mall that I wouldn't have thought of. The Victoria's Secret was right near where a store was that catered to children. In the VS window was a row of mannequins wearing thongs. She went in and asked them to move them to the back of the store. They told her they couldn't do it - the layout was company policy. She got on her cellphone and called the home office and told them. When she came back by the thonged mannequins had been replaced by those with more appropriate window shopping attire. We have more voice than we think sometimes and shouldn't hesitate to speak out.

I agree that the slogan is in very bad taste and i think they should remove it without a doubt. I do not agree that we teach our children that touching is bad. My child will be taught that there are good touches and bad touches. Touching CAN be good and is actually necessary. Can you imagine a child growing up without hugs?

I think the slogan is horrible though. The first thing you think of (at least the first thing I though of) was not a nice thing. I wonder what the heck those executives were thinking when they OK'd this one.

Keep doing what you are doing, and I"d say go to the media. The media here in MN, particularly television news media, is very receptive to news input from their viewers. If they dsetermine it is big enough for a story, they'll run it. If enough people go with you of the same mindset as you, I think they'll certainly investigate more and likely do a report on it. Since the advertisement is easily available, they could even have that as part of their investigative report.

No overreacting that I can see! I have not seen it yet. I always tried to teach my kids the difference in touching, hugs, a touch on the arm etc... compared to what isn't allowed. But, there are so many that don't think it would ever happen to their kid and don't teach them the difference and that it's okay to speak out. For a company that is so kid involved, that, imo, is very inappropriate advertising.

Yeah I agree with you there GB. We have to teach them the difference between a handshake and... well, something else, and we also have to teach them that sometimes the Doctor needs to touch places that may not always be comfortable but beyond that, no way Jose!

I'm tempted to write to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children as well as the FTC, FCC, National Council of Catholic Bishops and the Associated Press!

Better yet, in some states we have an election coming up. Let's let our Congressmen know how we feel too!

~ Raven ~

Last edited:
GB said:
I agree that the slogan is in very bad taste and i think they should remove it without a doubt. I do not agree that we teach our children that touching is bad. My child will be taught that there are good touches and bad touches. Touching CAN be good and is actually necessary. Can you imagine a child growing up without hugs?

I think the slogan is horrible though. The first thing you think of (at least the first thing I though of) was not a nice thing. I wonder what the heck those executives were thinking when they OK'd this one.

Agree with GB!

I agree.... in this day and age for a major company (aimed at kids) saying touch is a good thing sounds bad!

OK that makes the slogan take on a whole new meaning. I still think they should have thought a little harder to come up with a better slogan, but at least it makes sense now.

Raven, I have had experience going against companies for such things and have had good results. Lets go after this one. It makes me SICK. I will do anything to destroy this commercial. I dont have kids but that has no bearing on my feelings. This is a crime IMO. Intentional or not..... the underlying meaning is horrible. Contact me via PM if you want to put our minds together and do something about this.

If we went after everybody for what we interpret on our own, we'd be too busy for our own lives.

Your interpretation may be completely different than the next person's. No matter what we all may think, we do *not* have a right to not being offended, and anything said or done could be interpreted as offensive to anyone else. Everybody interprets things differently. That's variety, and it's supposed to be the spice of life.

While I may find the commercial distasteful when interpreted in its strictest, most easily offended sense, I think getting shrill and "going against" them isn't going to accomplish much of anything. By the time anything is organized the ad will be long gone and an afterthought and all the protesters will sound like is a bunch of complainers.

Email them and let them know what you think. Tell your friends not to buy their products. But to "destroy" a commercial that is a fleeting moment and won't be around long enough to register on radar is putting a whole lot of effort into something that could be better spent on things that really affect daily life.

Just my $.02 worth. I'm ready to be burned at the stake for it if necessary.

corazon90 said:
I don't see what the slogan has to do with an obsticle course. It doesn't make sense to me. I will write a complaint too. Glad we don't have tv!

This doesn't make sense to me. You're basing your opinion and decision to complain on something you have no direct experience with. I don't protest anything until I have at least seen it for myself. Basing things on hearsay and others' statements is what led to the Salem Witch Trials.

phinz said:
Your interpretation may be completely different than the next person's. No matter what we all may think, we do *not* have a right to not being offended, and anything said or done could be interpreted as offensive to anyone else. Everybody interprets things differently. That's variety, and it's supposed to be the spice of life.
See that's what I thought too, I thought maybe I was just being oversensitive to the slogan, that's why I tossed it out here and on another message board that have a lot of parents of small children and the reaction was the same in both places.

Understand it's not the commercial, that's fine, it's the slogan at the end that I find objectionable and when you combine it with the fact that it's only flashed on the screen for a second or so it's almost subliminal.

I would see nothing wrong with them simply changing the slogan at the end and keeping the commercials but IMO that slogan has far to grave a connotation.

You can see it for yourself if you want. Click Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-oiDmZqNf0

~ Raven ~

Last edited:
phinz said:
This doesn't make sense to me. You're basing your opinion and decision to complain on something you have no direct experience with. I don't protest anything until I have at least seen it for myself. Basing things on hearsay and others' statements is what led to the Salem Witch Trials.
FYI, I did watch the commercial on the link provided in Raven's first post. I wasn't clear in my post, saying I'd complain but didn't have a tv. Sorry for the confusion. I'm just glad my kids won't be watching commercials like this.

Last edited:
Whether it is plain to see OR something that can be interpreted...... I dont like it. Anything with children that even MIGHT be negative must be dealt with. I understand what the commercial is REALLY saying. But it walks the line. And for that, it should not be on the air. It implies. And can be taken in a negative spin. Would YOU put your stamp of approval on it?
Bottom line, it is in very poor judgement that this advert is played. They should pull it. :mad:

I wouldn't put my stamp of approval on it, but somebody did. One persons "line" that is "walked" can be completely invisible to the next, or not even be in the same ballpark. Who is the arbiter of what is the "line" and what isn't? What you see as implied may be far from the actual statement. That's the whole issue with implication. It's up to interpretation.

Anything with children that even MIGHT be negative must be dealt with

Your child *might* grow up to be an axe murderer. Should we lock them up based on "might?" "Might be negative" is a *really* broad brush to be painting with. Be very careful when you start judging based on "might be," because that, again, is what also led to the Salem Witch Trials and many other travesties.

Anything can be "taken in a negative spin." Then again, anything can be taken in a positive spin too. Witness this Shining spoof trailer. Could make you actually want to see the movie if you didn't know it was a horror flick, right?

When it comes to children, you cannot protect them from the greater world all the time, and advertising is a pervasive medium that cannot be avoided. The more you try to the more stunned they will be when they enter the real world. I see it in my nieces every day and it's sad. All you can do is teach them what you know and what is right and wrong and hope it takes root.

You have a right to your opinion, and I too think the commercial is in poor taste and should probably not have been aired, but getting shrill over a fleeting commercial isn't a great approach to the greater problems in the world. Constructive commentary and criticism often works better than "going after" companies. It's that whole "flies to honey and vinegar" thing.

Back
Top Bottom