"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-23-2006, 10:10 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Angry Concerned Parent! HORRIBLE Nintendo Slogan!

Am I being oversensitive to this? or is this just creepy?

Nintendo is running a new commercial in our area where you see a pack of 7 and 8 year old girls dressed up like princesses running through an obsticle course. So far it's fine, but at the very end you breifly see the words "Touching is Good"

WHAT!?! Whoa! Slow down there fireball. Let's delve into a little associative psychology why not? I see this somewhat like the old joke "Say Stop three times real fast. Stop, Stop, Stop. Now what do you do when you come to a green light?" It's basic Pavlovian Classical Conditioning, the person usually blurts out "Stop" before they realize their error.

Now you are doing basicly the same thing with little girls and the phrase "touching is good"??

I'm sorry if I am making more of this than should be but this just strikes me as both sick and dangerous. At the very least it creeps me out.

What's more, I don't even know why they would adopt such a slogan in the first place. It's not like their little game machine is touch-screen or something, or if it is they certainly haven't been advertising it around here. Just the game for it.

What do you think? Am I over-reacting here or is this a dangerous and irresponsible advertising campaign?

We've spent all these years teaching our Children that "Touching is NOT good" to have them come along with a catch-phrase TARGETED AT CHILDREN, that is going to stick in their heads is irreprehensible!

I've already written to Nintendo expressing my concerns about their new advertising campaign (I went to www.nintendo.com and clicked on Contact Us) and have spoken to a number of other parents who feel the same way I do. One of them brought up the point "Because the slogan appears so breifly on screen it almost bordered on subliminal advertising"

If you haven't seen this commercial, you may view it online
God Bless
~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
Executive Chef

It seems that these issues arise quicker than we can work on doing anything about them, but it does help to call the companies on our concerns. My dil did something in her mall that I wouldn't have thought of. The Victoria's Secret was right near where a store was that catered to children. In the VS window was a row of mannequins wearing thongs. She went in and asked them to move them to the back of the store. They told her they couldn't do it - the layout was company policy. She got on her cellphone and called the home office and told them. When she came back by the thonged mannequins had been replaced by those with more appropriate window shopping attire. We have more voice than we think sometimes and shouldn't hesitate to speak out.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I agree that the slogan is in very bad taste and i think they should remove it without a doubt. I do not agree that we teach our children that touching is bad. My child will be taught that there are good touches and bad touches. Touching CAN be good and is actually necessary. Can you imagine a child growing up without hugs?

I think the slogan is horrible though. The first thing you think of (at least the first thing I though of) was not a nice thing. I wonder what the heck those executives were thinking when they OK'd this one.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Keep doing what you are doing, and I"d say go to the media. The media here in MN, particularly television news media, is very receptive to news input from their viewers. If they dsetermine it is big enough for a story, they'll run it. If enough people go with you of the same mindset as you, I think they'll certainly investigate more and likely do a report on it. Since the advertisement is easily available, they could even have that as part of their investigative report.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
Master Chef

No overreacting that I can see! I have not seen it yet. I always tried to teach my kids the difference in touching, hugs, a touch on the arm etc... compared to what isn't allowed. But, there are so many that don't think it would ever happen to their kid and don't teach them the difference and that it's okay to speak out. For a company that is so kid involved, that, imo, is very inappropriate advertising.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Yeah I agree with you there GB. We have to teach them the difference between a handshake and... well, something else, and we also have to teach them that sometimes the Doctor needs to touch places that may not always be comfortable but beyond that, no way Jose!

I'm tempted to write to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children as well as the FTC, FCC, National Council of Catholic Bishops and the Associated Press!

Better yet, in some states we have an election coming up. Let's let our Congressmen know how we feel too!

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:34 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I agree that the slogan is in very bad taste and i think they should remove it without a doubt. I do not agree that we teach our children that touching is bad. My child will be taught that there are good touches and bad touches. Touching CAN be good and is actually necessary. Can you imagine a child growing up without hugs?

I think the slogan is horrible though. The first thing you think of (at least the first thing I though of) was not a nice thing. I wonder what the heck those executives were thinking when they OK'd this one.
Agree with GB!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

let 'em, have it with both barrels raven!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I agree.... in this day and age for a major company (aimed at kids) saying touch is a good thing sounds bad!
Old 03-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

just gross.