"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-30-2008, 08:00 AM   #11
Head Chef

Well, Sattie, I was tempted to start a "what was the most embarrassing concert you have ever been too" thread, I didnt. But, since your brought yours up, Ill list mine.

Most embarrassing:
Jack Wagner ( the guy from the soap opera). This was a good 20 + years ago. The only benefit was that out of the 3000 + fans there, the only two guys were me and my friend.

Air Supply A patient of mine, very old and sick. I did much of his work for free because I felt bad for him. He was a volunteer at a theater. For a thank you gift, he got me a gift certficate to his theater. I told my wife ( big mistake) and next thing I knew, we wre sitting 2nd row for Air Supply. I must admit, they were very good, and you knew all the songs. Just kinda hard to admit to, at least back then. Now, I Just dont care. And yes I do have their greatest hits album.

Barry Manilow This was another instance that I went to because of the wife. Ok Ok, I admit he also was musically good, and you knew every song. It felt more like a night club act than a big concert. And the audience consisted of 2 types of people. %50 were older women who were screaming, and yelling and crying for barry. The other %50 were their husbands who were consistantly checking their watches ( when they wernt sleeping) waiting for the time to go.

If I had to rank my favorite concert, ID probably say Stevie Wonder ( saw him in october), and Billy Joel ( in the prime of his career)

Most disappointing concert for me was probably Madonna ( 1990). Not that it was bad, I guess I just expected more considering her popularity. It seemed like more of a " show' than a concert

Old 06-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I guess I'm getting old. I haven't been to a concert for several years. The last one I went to though was excellent. AC/DC in Biloxi, MS.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #13
Head Chef

Well, at the recent billy joel concert, he had one of his 'roadies' sing " highway to hell" which actually brought down the house..
Old 06-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Well, Sattie, I was tempted to start a "what was the most embarrassing concert you have ever been too" thread, I didnt. But, since your brought yours up, Ill list mine.

Most embarrassing:
Jack Wagner ( the guy from the soap opera). This was a good 20 + years ago. The only benefit was that out of the 3000 + fans there, the only two guys were me and my friend.

Air Supply A patient of mine, very old and sick. I did much of his work for free because I felt bad for him. He was a volunteer at a theater. For a thank you gift, he got me a gift certficate to his theater. I told my wife ( big mistake) and next thing I knew, we wre sitting 2nd row for Air Supply. I must admit, they were very good, and you knew all the songs. Just kinda hard to admit to, at least back then. Now, I Just dont care. And yes I do have their greatest hits album.

Barry Manilow This was another instance that I went to because of the wife. Ok Ok, I admit he also was musically good, and you knew every song. It felt more like a night club act than a big concert. And the audience consisted of 2 types of people. %50 were older women who were screaming, and yelling and crying for barry. The other %50 were their husbands who were consistantly checking their watches ( when they wernt sleeping) waiting for the time to go.

If I had to rank my favorite concert, ID probably say Stevie Wonder ( saw him in october), and Billy Joel ( in the prime of his career)

Most disappointing concert for me was probably Madonna ( 1990). Not that it was bad, I guess I just expected more considering her popularity. It seemed like more of a " show' than a concert

OH OH OH.... you have me soooooo beat!!!!!! Rick is by far my most embarrassing!!! Now you got me thinking what my WORST concert ever was! I'll have to think on that a bit.

But one of the best (apart from DIO and Iron Maiden... they always had the coolest stage setups!) was Billy Idol and The Cult. One of the best shows that I never expected!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
Head Chef

Just went to see Dickie Betts and great southern 2 weeks ago at the Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis. Great concert, intimate setting.
Dickie actually came to our table before the concert started and appologised, because the music would be loud
Old 06-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Born in the USA Tour.

LOLZ!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #17
Head Chef

Last few:

Stanley Clarke

Robben Ford

Larry Carlton

These were all in a jazz club venue. Last arena type concert was Prince, but that has been a few years.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

I have been to so few concerts since I had kids. I used to go to so many. I have seen probably about 600 or 700 concerts or more. I can not remember the last one I went to. I plan on taking my daughter to her first music festival this year though. It will be a very small one with local bands. We may even camp overnight if she is up for it.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Me, too, GB. Concerts are too loud for little ones, usually, so I don't get to go.

I remembered last night I had gone to one since Fisher was born - Leon Russell. I was really looking forward to it since I had seen him when he was with Joe Cocker way back in my wild youth. I don't know how the heck it happened, but Leon Russel got old!!!! It wasn't as good as I had hoped but it was a nice evening out.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Don't laugh! I am going to my FIRST concert July 9, in Chicago to see George Michael. anyone hear of him? Been around for pretty long time. Loved him when he was younger and still love to listen to his music. I have no clue what to expect or what to wear. Just hope I don't have rotten seats behind someone with large hat or worse photographers videotaping his show. They say this is his last so I look forward t o getting to see him cause then I can say I did go t o a concert. Been to the symphony but I think that is different classification?

One bad thing, will have to put all my dogs in kennel. Hope they don't give any problems. Sure not easy to handle. One 13 years old other two are puppies with one being a 'runner'. I will probably worry the whole time I am away. never do go far when I do go away.