"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #11
Master Chef

I don't think not going to doctor is a good idea. But I simply cannot afford it. I too have no copay with BC, but I only have 70% of visits covered. Same with hospitals etc. And that is after I spent $2500.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Old 04-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
. Both tiers had the same doctors and services. One was just a bit nicer.
I hope I've misunderstood this. Do you mean that the same doctors and nurses treated people on the higher tier more courteously/gave better medical care because the patient paid more?

Old 04-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I don't think not going to doctor is a good idea. But I simply cannot afford it. I too have no copay with BC, but I only have 70% of visits covered. Same with hospitals etc. And that is after I spent $2500.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Our National Health Service may not be perfect but at least we don't die in childbirth or of cancer solely because we couldn't afford medical care.

We pay National Insurance contributions through payroll and this covers medical treatment, Job Seekers Allowance (an unemployment benefit), sickness benefit and state pension contributions and child allowance.

You pay National Insurance if you’re:
  • 16 or over
  • an employee earning above £153 a week
  • self employed and making a profit over £5,885 a year (unless you get an exception)
The exact amount you pay depends on:
  • how much you earn
  • whether you’re employed or self-employed
If you are on unemployment benefit, unable to work through long term illness or disablement, at home raising children, retired or a full-time student you get credits so you don't miss out

Most people apart from children under 16 or retired people pay for prescriptions but not the full price of the medicine - IIRC it's about £7 per item whether it's a 100 x aspirin tablets or the most expensive prescription-only drug on the list.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Our National Health Service may not be perfect but at least we don't die in childbirth or of cancer because we couldn't afford medical care.

We pay National Insurance contributions through payroll and this covers medical treatment, Job Seekers Allowance (an unemployment benefit), sickness benefit and state pension contributions and child allowance.

You pay National Insurance if youíre:
  • 16 or over
  • an employee earning above £153 a week
  • self employed and making a profit over £5,885 a year (unless you get an exception)
The exact amount you pay depends on:
  • how much you earn
  • whether youíre employed or self-employed
If you are on unemployment benefit, unable to work through long term illness or disablement, at home raising children, retired or a full-time student you get credits so you don't miss out

Most people apart from children under 16 or retired people pay for prescriptions but not the full price of the medicine - IIRC it's about £7 per item whether it's a 100 x aspirin tablets or the most expensive prescription-only drug on the list.
You can if you wish and can afford it, "go private" in which case you pick up the bill yourself. There are health insurance companies which make lots of money out of this but apart from getting a nicer room or to jump the queue in a non-life threatening issue there isn't much point although when I started with a hearing problem my employers paid for some diagnostic work because there was a lengthy NHS waiting time and the hearing problem was interfering with my work.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I hope I've misunderstood this. Do you mean that the same doctors and nurses treated people on the higher tier more courteously/gave better medical care because the patient paid more?
No, that's not what I meant. I mean that they get a better hospital room. If you are on the lower tier and need to see the doctor immediately, they have a few hours at some point during the day. You just show up and wait your turn. It can be a long wait. If you are on the higher tier, you call and make an appointment, often for the same day.