"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
Head Chef

Concierge (or boutique) medical practice

Does anyone go to one of these? And, if so, do you like it (or dislike it)?

They're becoming more available but still not replacing the Primary Care physician.

Concierge medicine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I think this should be in Off Topic discussions. It's not General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I think this should be in Off Topic discussions. It's not General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets.
O.K. I don't care either way. If you report it to the moderators perhaps they can move it.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I lived in Denmark, the government run health care had two tiers, similar to the hybrid "concierge medicine". My mum paid a premium. She had the same doctor as me. If I wanted to go to his walk in clinic, it was a few hours in the morning and usually a long wait. She could call for an appointment in the afternoon. She also got a semi-private room at the hospital. Both tiers had the same doctors and services. One was just a bit nicer.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
Head Chef

Evidently there a small upward surge in 'blue collar concierge' medical practices.

Physicians Abandon Insurance for 'Blue Collar' Concierge Model - US News
Old 04-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Evidently there a small upward surge in 'blue collar concierge' medical practices.

Physicians Abandon Insurance for 'Blue Collar' Concierge Model - US News
Interesting article. Now we just need the insurance companies to come up with a plan that allows you to be reimbursed for the monthly fees of being signed up with a concierge medical practice. And, instead of paying the doctors, reimburse the patient who sends in a receipt.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Interesting article. Now we just need the insurance companies to come up with a plan that allows you to be reimbursed for the monthly fees of being signed up with a concierge medical practice. And, instead of paying the doctors, reimburse the patient who sends in a receipt.
Yeah, right.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Yeah, right.
Okay, I live in Canada and I'm covered by Quebec health insurance (RAMQ). But, I have medical insurance through Stirling's job. When Stirling needed a CTscan or MRI (I don't remember which) our doctor said she would give him a referral and he could make an appointment with a clinic that would charge RAMQ and probably have to wait six months to get the appointment or he could go to a private clinic near us and get an appointment right away and pay for the scan. Our insurance reimbursed the whole amount at the private clinic. But, the clinic didn't have to do any insurance paper work. I just sent a scan of the receipt to the insurance company.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
Master Chef

I don't know what we are talking about here, but US medical care/insurance needs a complete overhaul. Which we were promised, but got worse than what we used to have. I try not to go to doctor now. Because I have 2500 deductible now and that is a lot of money.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I don't know what we are talking about here, but US medical care/insurance needs a complete overhaul. Which we were promised, but got worse than what we used to have. I try not to go to doctor now. Because I have 2500 deductible now and that is a lot of money.
I don't know what we are talking about here,

I'm not really sure either but I'll assume that TL is right.

Insurances are so different (talking about the U.S.). Using Blue Cross as an example two people who have BC may have completely different plans which changes how much co-pay they are liable for.

I have Blue Cross but because of the plan I have NO co-pay.

My meds (and some that I had to use were maybe $1000 for 30 days) I only pay one dollar for them. A four day stay in the ICU cost me zip! (There are no typo in this paragraph) But I happen to have a really great ins. plan (for retirees) and that's not the norm.

The next person may have a humungus co-pay for services and meds.

As long as there are lobbyists for insurance companies I fear that the US system is going to keep it's status quo for quite a while. But when I read of what people who have NHS (not just here ) report I'm not sure which is better. There are pros and cons enough for both sides.

I think your idea, CharlieD, about trying not to go to a doctor is a great idea. Let's hope you can fulfill that for the rest of your life.