"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 10-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #21
Certified Cake Maniac
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I don't think I hate any condiment. It seems I find a use even for the ones I don't eat regularly or by themselves (horse radish comes immediately to mind).
It's a love tolerate relationship.
By far I go through more mayonnaise than anything else.
Oh I forgot horseradish - I LOVE it! I will eat a beef sandwich just to have some!

For me mayo is a big one and I make my own when I can. DH has to have a no soy no egg version and it is $7.00 for a small jar. I make all his dressings and dips with it, use it on his sandwiches and tuna salad. But its the real deal for me.

Another dislike is Miracle Whip. I didn't have it as a child (same with ketchup but for different reasons) and I never developed a taste for it.

"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #22
Wine Guy
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Steve, I would love your recipe for ketchup. DH is getting so sensitive to any bought products and I have tried some recipes but weren't satisfied.
Sure, I'll post it tonight.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #23
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Sure, I'll post it tonight.
I'll be waiting for that post too
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #24
Master Chef
I use just about all condiments as called for in recipes. By themselves, I use mayo more than anything (I can take or leave Miracle Whip since Mom used it exclusively but the rest of my family doesn't care for it). I MUST HAVE ketchup on my fried egg sandwich along with mayo and cheese but that is about the only time I use ketchup. My kids use it on everything! We have several kinds of mustard, (dijon, brown, honey and yellow) that get used. A1 on burgers, 57 sauce for steaks sometimes, worcestershire in meatloaf, soy for asian dishes. I guess it just depends on the recipe. Tabasco in the Brunswick stew is the only time it get used.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #25
Executive Chef
I like most condiments. And I see someone includes Butter as a condiment-- good to find out a new use for Butter. hahah.

I like blue cheese dressing, preferrably home made, on many sandwich combos if I have it on hand, otherwise, it's mayo. Today I had some tzakziki sauce. That's really easy to make too, if there is yogurt on hand.

I prefer A1 steak sauce on anything except steak. I prefer a stronger flavored Tamari sauce than soy sauce.

I like to use Tiger Sauce, a sweet-spicy-hot sauce, not quite as spicy as Srirachha ( sp), as an additive to spiff up something else, like fried rice or splash it some chicken just before it finishes on the grill or as an ingredient in a bbq sauce. It says "Try Me" on the label and is usually hanging out on a shelf in the Ketchup aisle.

Limes, a squeeze of lime juice is sometimes all the condiment needed. Probably the least calories of any. Regrettably, I go for the others more frequently.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I like most condiments too. Love Heinz ketchup and Chipotle Tabasco on eggs. Mustard, relish and kraut on hot dogs. Lowfat Hellman's for lots of things. Will have to look for Tiger Sauce.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
Master Chef
I like all the condiments mentioned. Each and every one with the exception of any commercial salad dressing but Aunt Fanny's (local) and HVRanch.

My fridge is filled with condiments and I always have several kinds of soy sauce and fish sauce going.

I'll add Pickapeppa, walkers wood jerk, A bunch of sambals, a bunch of Japanese rice seasonings and banana ketchup to the cumulative list.

My current favorite is a delicious spicy habanero ketchup. I made a kick ass meatloaf with it the other day.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I have several different jars of furikake, Japanese seasonings.

I love crumbled nori on some dishes.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #29
Sous Chef
I absolutely love mayo but I am trying to steer clear of it. I like most other condiments with the exception of salad dressings like blue cheese, or thousand island. I dislike duck sauce (is that the orange sweet stuff in chinese packets?) I won't eat Miracle Whip (blech).
"Omit and substitute! That's how recipes should be written. Please don't ever get so hung up on published recipes that you forget that you can omit and substitute."
Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet
Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #30
Sous Chef
I like Miracle Whip but if given a choice would pick real mayo (Hellmans). Horseradish for beef sandwiches & steak. Tartar sauce or honey mustard for FF. Any kind if mustard for bologna or salami sandwiches or brats with saurkraut. Don't care much for ketchup & the thought of it on eggs makes me gag. I like balsalmic with a bit of stevia on salad, but I also like store bought Bleu cheese & Green Goddess dressing. Salsa for chips or meatloaf. Bbq sauce cooked onto meat, not soupy wet.

Cindercat is offline   Reply With Quote