"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-16-2012, 12:30 AM   #31
Executive Chef

My favorite food/condimment pairing is malt vinegar on thick cut fries. My second favorite is probably either spiced honey mustard on thin, crispy sweet potato fries or buffalo sauce on wings.

I like most condiments that I've tried for certain things. I can find a use for almost any barbecue sauce. A1 is good on a burger, especially if it has mushrooms on it too. Worcestershire sauce is good added to a lot of things. Ketchup is good on a cheese burger or hasbrowns (although egg yolk is my favorite hashbrown "condiment"). Mustard is good on hotdogs, brats, pastrami, ham, bologna and various lunch meats. A little horsradish mixed with mayo is great on a medium-rare roast beef sandwich. I love rice with just a little soy sauce and sriracha mixed in. Maybe some chives or green onion too. I like sour cream and guacamole on a lot of different things. Plain yogurt works pretty well as a sour cream replacement. I like italian dressings, especially homade, on various sandwiches/subs. I love french and catalina dressing, especially jazzed up with a little lime and chili sauce, on veggies and veggie sandwiches.

I think whip cream, butterscotch sauce and chocolate syrup are great condiments for ice cream, cakes and cookies. And caramel is a great condiment for apples. :)

There are a lot of the creamy salad dressings that I'm real picky about. Like, ranch is meh, unless it's home made or made from the Hidden Valley brand packets and then I really like it. A lot of the standard shelf blue cheese dressings (kraft, wishbone, etc) are gross. I like the T. Marzzeti's brand that comes in a jar but not the one that comes in a bottle.

Oh, I hate Thousand Island dressing. Gross gross gross! And a lot of pre-made tartar sauces are gross too.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #32
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Steve, I would love your recipe for ketchup. DH is getting so sensitive to any bought products and I have tried some recipes but weren't satisfied.
Laurie and Snip, here is my quickest recipe. It makes about 2 cups of ketchup, depending on how much water you add. I've made this recipe using homemade tomato paste, and it's good, but it's just as good (and more convenient) to use canned.

Tomato Ketchup

12 ounces tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground allspice

Mix everything and add enough water to dilute to the desired consistency. Adjust salt and brown sugar to taste.

There are many variations. For example, you can add a teaspoon or two of curry powder and make curry ketchup. One variation that I especially like is chipotle ketchup. To make that, add a chopped canned chipotle and a couple of teaspoons of the adobo sauce from the can as well. Run this mixture through the food processor.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Laurie and Snip, here is my quickest recipe. It makes about 2 cups of ketchup, depending on how much water you add. I've made this recipe using homemade tomato paste, and it's good, but it's just as good (and more convenient) to use canned.

Tomato Ketchup

12 ounces tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground allspice

Mix everything and add enough water to dilute to the desired consistency. Adjust salt and brown sugar to taste.

There are many variations. For example, you can add a teaspoon or two of curry powder and make curry ketchup. One variation that I especially like is chipotle ketchup. To make that, add a chopped canned chipotle and a couple of teaspoons of the adobo sauce from the can as well. Run this mixture through the food processor.
Thank you Steve :) This is such an easy recipe, will try it for sure!
I've only ever made Jamie Oliver's recipe and that's much more work

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #34
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Thanks so much, Steve. I am planning polish hot dogs tomorrow so will make some for DH's dog and fries. He will be so surprised!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:

Tomato Ketchup

12 ounces tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground allspice

Copied and pasted. I bet that would work with pasata if I reduced it.

Much easier and quicker than my recipe: Tasty Tomato Catsup
Old 10-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #36
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Copied and pasted. I bet that would work with pasata if I reduced it.
Oh yes, I'm sure it would. You may not even have to reduce it that much, since I find I usually have to add water to this recipe to thin it out.

If one were so inclined, you could even start with canned or whole peeled/de-seeded tomatoes and cook them down to the desired consistency. I'm just not a big ketchup eater, so I tend to go the quick route. One batch of this easily lasts me 6 months.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Oh yes, I'm sure it would. You may not even have to reduce it that much, since I find I usually have to add water to this recipe to thin it out.

If one were so inclined, you could even start with canned or whole peeled/de-seeded tomatoes and cook them down to the desired consistency. I'm just not a big ketchup eater, so I tend to go the quick route. One batch of this easily lasts me 6 months.
We don't use much ketchup either. But, homemade ketchup is so much tastier than the store-bought stuff.

I want to use pasata because it comes in glass bottles. I can get tomato paste in little glass jars at the health food store, but it is quite expensive. Even organic tomatoes come in cans lined with stuff containing BPA, which is estrogenic and I'm not supposed to eat anything estrogenic.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We don't use much ketchup either. But, homemade ketchup is so much tastier than the store-bought stuff.

I want to use pasata because it comes in glass bottles. I can get tomato paste in little glass jars at the health food store, but it is quite expensive. Even organic tomatoes come in cans lined with stuff containing BPA, which is estrogenic and I'm not supposed to eat anything estrogenic.
Was thinking of using pasata too Our tap water is really poor quality so I didn't want to thin out the ketchup. Scared it will make my sauce go off!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Miracle Whip and A-1 Sauce would be not allowed near my plate at anytime for any reason. Hubby loves both so we have both but he has to prepare his own plate on the other side of the kitchen when he wants either of those those 2 items.

Otherwise I'm good with condiments and like to experiment with combinations. Hubby says we need a separate fridge just for my condiments !!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Miracle Whip and A-1 Sauce would be not allowed near my plate at anytime for any reason. Hubby loves both so we have both but he has to prepare his own plate on the other side of the kitchen when he wants either of those those 2 items.

Otherwise I'm good with condiments and like to experiment with combinations. Hubby says we need a separate fridge just for my condiments !!
Never heard of A 1 sauce, must be an American thing. I'll google it.
My grandmother used to use miracle whip when I was little but i haven't seen it lately, can't say I've looked very hard. I never liked it either!