Condiments. The ones you love and the ones you hate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We don't use much ketchup either. But, homemade ketchup is so much tastier than the store-bought stuff.

I want to use pasata because it comes in glass bottles. I can get tomato paste in little glass jars at the health food store, but it is quite expensive. Even organic tomatoes come in cans lined with stuff containing BPA, which is estrogenic and I'm not supposed to eat anything estrogenic.

My niece and nephew pick and can their own tomatoes...by the bushel. My Christmas gift from them every year is several jars of tomatoes, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes and even last year HP sauce! I will be using their paste for my ketchup! :angel:

BTW, what is pasata?

My niece and nephew pick and can their own tomatoes...by the bushel. My Christmas gift from them every year is several jars of tomatoes, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes and even last year HP sauce! I will be using their paste for my ketchup! :angel:

BTW, what is pasata?

Since I'm online anyway, Pasata is a cross between tomato paste and tomato sauce. Often used in pasta dishes or even as a pizza base.
It's an Italian tomato sauce, very good and only the best tomatoes are used to make it. Yum!

Last edited:

BTW, what is pasata?
Pasata is pureed tomatoes with no skin or seeds. Sort of like tomato paste if that hadn't been reduced.

I only found out about it in the past year. I think it is a fairly recent offering in Canadian stores.

I love raw vegetables, meat, fish, butter, whole spices and 'ghee' . I hate anything ready to cook and with lots of preservatives.

I love raw vegetables, meat, fish, butter, whole spices and 'ghee' . I hate anything ready to cook and with lots of preservatives.

Hi Radhuni :)
I see you live in India, Do you perhaps have a good recipe for Green Chutney? I love it so much but the chef at our local Indian restaurant won't share his recipe :(

To me, A-1 is much like a thickened Worchestershire. My favorite for burgers is Heinz 57.

I should try it. I love worchestershire sauce on eggs but I don't like it when it makes my toast soggy and runs all over my plate :LOL:
English breakfast always takes me forever to eat, I love it though! I add a few drops of w/sauce, tabasco, and HP sauce or marmelade to each bite. Not all at once, it drives my husband nuts :angel:

Hi Radhuni :)
I see you live in India, Do you perhaps have a good recipe for Green Chutney? I love it so much but the chef at our local Indian restaurant won't share his recipe :(

Of course, why not? Green chutneys may be various types. I am giving here a most common, I am not sure the taste may not match with chef.

Take a small bunch of coriander leaves and a small bunch of mint leaves. Wash them (you can keep the stems). Add a teaspoonful thick tamarind paste, a teaspoonful yogurt and three or four cloves of garlic, salt according to taste.

If you want sweet chutney, then add sugar according to taste otherwise add fresh green chilis.

Mix them in mixi with a two spoonful water.

You can keep it in refrigeration for two to three days.

Here is the hot green chutney I have prepared two days ago.
chutney.png

Snip 13 said:
I should try it. I love worchestershire sauce on eggs but I don't like it when it makes my toast soggy and runs all over my plate :LOL:
English breakfast always takes me forever to eat, I love it though! I add a few drops of w/sauce, tabasco, and HP sauce or marmelade to each bite. Not all at once, it drives my husband nuts :angel:

A1 is alot like HP..

Of course, why not? Green chutneys may be various types. I am giving here a most common, I am not sure the taste may not match with chef.

Take a small bunch of coriander leaves and a small bunch of mint leaves. Wash them (you can keep the stems). Add a teaspoonful thick tamarind paste, a teaspoonful yogurt and three or four cloves of garlic, salt according to taste.

If you want sweet chutney, then add sugar according to taste otherwise add fresh green chilis.

Mix them in mixi with a two spoonful water.

You can keep it in refrigeration for two to three days.
Thank you for posting this. Green chutney is my favorite. I honestly think I could drink it.

Hmmm

I LOVE
Harissa
Schug
Garlic aioli

I HATE
Almost all commercial salad dressings :(

People like some interesting stuff here... I need to get into the chutney thing. I have more than 1 cookbook full of chutney recipes just never made it

I cant think of a condiment i do not like in some form or use or another... I do not use much ketchup.. unless its cooked in something.. but i love mustard.. and hot sauce.. crystal would be my go to..

Thank you for posting this. Green chutney is my favorite. I honestly think I could drink it.

Same here! I love sliced firm paneer grilled with salt and pepper and a bit of olive oil drizzled with green chutney and a crisp salad of baby lettuce.

I grill the paneer like you would haloumi. Delicious!
I also like dipping plain fresh Naan bread into green chutney :yum:

Hmmm

I LOVE
Harissa
Schug
Garlic aioli

I HATE
Almost all commercial salad dressings :(

People like some interesting stuff here... I need to get into the chutney thing. I have more than 1 cookbook full of chutney recipes just never made it

What is Shug?

Snip 13 said:
What is Shug?

Schug is a spicy Yemenite blend of peppers,spices, oil that is popular in Israel. You can add it to everything. I dip my chicken in it with labne(
Yogurt cheese). Spice it up then cool It off.. Haha
It's so good they sell it in most kosher supermarkets

Schug is a spicy Yemenite blend of peppers,spices, oil that is popular in Israel. You can add it to everything. I dip my chicken in it with labne(
Yogurt cheese). Spice it up then cool It off.. Haha
It's so good they sell it in most kosher supermarkets
Sounds interesting. I Googled schug. It doesn't sound hard to make. Do you make or buy yours?

I never made it but I always ask for extra from the Israeli restaurants around me so it's delicious as they make it there. Never tried making it but I think I will try and make some Harissa this week as that is harder to get fresh here.

I have to say, I do not use steak sauces on good steaks or roasts that are cooked to my preference (that is to say, quite rare). I do like them on burgers and as a dipping thing for fries. And if someone insists on me eating an over-cooked beef thing, well, no flavor so you need the sauce!

I think it is fun that some have mentioned harrissa. I first had this condiment in Slovenia, but it wasn't called that. Whenever we ordered a meat dish, it was accompanied by this sort of roasted pepper paste. When we got home, we could buy it in paste form from jars or even like a toothpaste tube.

Then we moved to the small-town Midwest (USA) and couldn't find it anywhere and I couldn't find a recipe. A Pakistani friend from Chicago actually went around the city and brought us some. Then I found a cookbook with a recipe, and my husband makes it and I freeze it to use in future meals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom