"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Master Chef

Condiments. The ones you love and the ones you hate.

Since there is such a massive market for condiments I thought it would be interresting to see which ones you all love and which ones you can live without.

I love original tabasco, hot german mustard, worcestershire sauce (maggi lazenby's not lee and perrins), balsamic and malt vinegar, HP sauce.

Ones I could go without- ketchup, sweet mustard, mayo, bbq sauce, chutney, salad dressing (prefer my salad naked or with some chilli and lemon)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I HATE yellow mustard. I will eat Gulden's dark mustard, but only on certain foods. I bought a small jar two years ago. It is still sitting in the fridge almost full. It doesn't go bad. It has vinegar in it and that is a preservative.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I don't care for pickle relish.

I'm not a big condiment eater, I'll eat ketchup on a hotdog, bbq sauce on ribs or pulled pork/chicken, mustard on occasion, mayonnaise on burgers or sandwiches.

I'm the type that will eat chicken tenders naked if they are really good ones, or with just a tiny bit of sauce. If they are mediocre ones, I'll give them a good dip in honey mustard sauce.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Now you have me thinking. I could drink ketchup right out of the bottle. (Ah, heartburn galore!) Eat hot dogs with sauerkraut only. Very thin layer of mayo of rare sandwiches. (don't like bread) Prefer butter. Relish is for potato salad. BBQ sauce only if it has been cooked on the meat. Salsa on an omelet. Seafood chili sauce for steamed shrimp. Or melted butter. I prefer my food unadorned. Just salt on FF.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Now you have me thinking. I could drink ketchup right out of the bottle. (Ah, heartburn galore!) Eat hot dogs with sauerkraut only. Very thin layer of mayo of rare sandwiches. (don't like bread) Prefer butter. Relish is for potato salad. BBQ sauce only if it has been cooked on the meat. Salsa on an omelet. Seafood chili sauce for steamed shrimp. Or melted butter. I prefer my food unadorned. Just salt on FF.

OH MY GOODNESS, I love butter ( not margerine).
Pickles, salsa and pesto are great too but I prefer homemade
What is FF?

Old 10-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

Snip, FF is french fries.

Love - mayo, tartar sauce, soy sauce, guacamole, grainy mustard, dijon, sour cream, homemade BBQ sauce (others are too sweet) and most vinegars and relish.

Dislike - Ketchup, regular mustard, salsa (unless it is fresh),

Addie, I too will only eat a hot dog with sauerkraut! And butter is great on everything!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Wine Guy

I'm kind of a DIY-er. With the exception of vinegar and Worcestershire, I make almost all of my own condiments. Ketchup, mustard, BBQ, hot sauces (both fresh and fermented), mayo - I've pretty much made it all. Even a few odd ones like mushroom ketchup. Since I don't really follow set recipes for this kind of thing, they come out a little different every time I make them.

Some day I may give vinegar-making a try. But to be honest, I'm just a little leery about having live vinegar culture in the same house as all my wine.

And I do keep a bottle of Heinz ketchup in the fridge. Though I don't use it much myself, if we have kids over to the house, they seem to like it better than my homemade stuff, which doesn't taste much like the Heinz product.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Don't like: Miracle Whip, some salad dressings (the one's that are real sweet)

Like: ketchup, mustard, oils, vinegars, relishes, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, fish sauce, some salad dressings, salts, peppers, salsas, chilies, mayonnaise, pickles, olives, capers...how much time do you have?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Snip, FF is french fries.

Love - mayo, tartar sauce, soy sauce, guacamole, grainy mustard, dijon, sour cream, homemade BBQ sauce (others are too sweet) and most vinegars and relish.

Dislike - Ketchup, regular mustard, salsa (unless it is fresh),

Addie, I too will only eat a hot dog with sauerkraut! And butter is great on everything!
Feel really stupid now, French Fries won't forget that!
Glad to see I'm not the only person that doesn't like ketchup, the only kind I've liked so far was a homemade recipe from Jamie Oliver I made a few times.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I'm kind of a DIY-er. With the exception of vinegar and Worcestershire, I make almost all of my own condiments. Ketchup, mustard, BBQ, hot sauces (both fresh and fermented), mayo - I've pretty much made it all. Even a few odd ones like mushroom ketchup. Since I don't really follow set recipes for this kind of thing, they come out a little different every time I make them.

Some day I may give vinegar-making a try. But to be honest, I'm just a little leery about having live vinegar culture in the same house as all my wine.

And I do keep a bottle of Heinz ketchup in the fridge. Though I don't use it much myself, if we have kids over to the house, they seem to like it better than my homemade stuff, which doesn't taste much like the Heinz product.
Green with envy I'm coming to raid your fridge