"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-30-2007, 12:23 AM   #751
Head Chef

Smile Dear Dove

Dear Dove I have lost two wives to cancer and I am loosing my curant wife
to Bul Bar palsy and it is beyon comprehension what you are going through my prayers are with you love and hugs
Dave Hutchins Hospice volentier and cook retired

Old 07-30-2007, 12:36 AM   #752
Senior Cook

Marge - Thanks for the update. The next few weeks will be very critical to John's treatment. My continued prayers for all of you.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:40 AM   #753
Executive Chef

Hi Marge, You probably already know this and if so, please excuse this post. When my father-in-law had cancer, he got treatment out of town in Houston. He was there for 3 months but only inpatient a small part of that time. The social worker at the hospital made us aware of programs similar to the Ronald McDonald House except for adults. There were efficiency style apartments a couple of blocks from the hospital that were available to patients on a month to month for about $200/mo. There were also nearby hotels that had a limited number of rooms available at a very reduced rate when referred by the hospital. Be sure to have Sandie call Stanford and speak to a hospital social worker, someone in patient services and/or the transplant coordinator. Let them know your situation and ask what programs they have or use for out of town patients receiving treatment. HTH
As always, ya'll are in my prayers.
Love & Peace,
Terry
Old 07-30-2007, 02:17 AM   #754
DC Grandma

Sandie has talked to Social workers several times in person, by phone and E-Mail. They just give her a list of places that others have stayed at and have the shuttle that goes to Stanford.
The San Francisco Bay area is [U]very[U] expensive.They don't have anything like McDonald House..that was the first thing I asked months ago when this was first mentioned that he would be going down there.
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #755
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Gee, Marge, I'm so sorry they're having such problems with accommodations. It would seem as though an area as large as Stanford should have something to help folks like Sandie out. Hope she finds an acceptable solution.

Hang in there. We're here supporting you all. Love, prayers and hugs, as always, are being sent your way from Buck and me.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:59 AM   #756
Executive Chef

We are all thinking of you and your family Marge!
Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 AM   #757
DC Grandma

Yesterday i took John to the Dr.'s Dr took a sample of his bone marrow ( from the hip) and then off to have blood work done. then back for an echo. (EKG) He said by the time we did all that we would have the results of his blood work. By the time we went back to his office they were all out for lunch. John asked to be taken home so we left. Sandie called the Dr. from work. He said the blood was OK and we didn't have to go back for a transfusion. John was so tired by then I'm not sure I could have gotten him in and out of the car. I didn't know that he ran out of Oxygen while we were in the hospital..he needed to get home and go on the larger machine.

I fixed him a can of soup..he ate half and gave the rest to the dog. He just doesn't want to eat and what scares me is I see the same vacent look in his eyes that Paul had. John was always a fun person to be around..funny and joking all the time.Now he sits and stares off into space.

They are in Stanford now, John saw the radiologist today and Tim sees the Dr tomorrow ( today..it is after midnight now)

He still has double Pneumonia and on oxygen full time. Before they said he had to walk in on his own power and be reasonable healthy. He will be pushed in there in a wheel chair, under Oxygen and with Pneumonia. This tells us that this is imperative now. That he can't wait any longer to have this done.

Please keep him in your Prayers,
Love
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:28 AM   #758
Head Chef

John and his loved ones and you are in my thoughts and prayers...

Whenever I'm faced with a situation over which I have no control, I derive comfort from the thought that things always turn out for the best.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:21 AM   #759
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Dear Marge,

As always, Buck and I are here supporting you and your family. If need be, just emotionally lean on us and so many others here at DC. Lots of prayers are being sent your way.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #760
Chef Extraordinaire

Marge,
this has been a long road for John and a hard one. He is worn out and tired and I would think he is just staring and quiet to gather the strength for the rest of his treatment. We sometimes seem to other to bounce along from one thing to another, and inside we are terrified of what is coming and what will happen and don't want to put it in words..So, we back off and try not to think of it.The poor fellow has had so much to deal with and I'm sure his wife and children and his mom are on his mind..Once they get started, I will pray that he pulls out of this and can give his all to just working to be free of the worry and illness that he is forced to deal with.
Just remember we will be thinking and praying for all of you and especially John.
kadesma