"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #891
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Oh Marge - I will call you later in the day - you're probably still asleep now.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #892
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Prayers have been sent for the strength and comfort John and all the family needs now. Take care.

Barb L.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #893
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Dear Marge,

I am so sorry that the news was so bad. I am praying hard for John and the whole family. I pray that things will turn around soon.

Barbara
Old 10-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #894
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I'm so sorry to hear this Marge! Even though I haven't been here, my prayers have continued & I'll be praying for strength for you & your family.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #895
DC Grandma

Thumbs down

I'm sorry to tell you that we have had some very bad news today. John was discharged from the Bone Marrow program last week. The bone marrow transplant failed. He came home Saturday night. John and I had an appointment with Dr. Sardar, John's Kaiser oncologist, to discuss were we are and what the next steps are etc. Dr. Sardar was very upset and pessimistic. He and the Stanford doctors believe that John has a fungal infection in his lungs. A fungal infection is enough to be considered life threatening in and of itself. Dr. Sardar is scheduling a biopsy as soon as possible to find out for sure what it is. Whatever it is has grown from 1 cm to 2 cm recently. John has no immune system at this point. His bone marrow is not producing cells. This is also life threatening without any other complications. We have decided that we will continue to treat John with anti fungal IVs and Nupogen shots to help stimulate his bone marrow for the next two weeks. He believes John is loosing his life (possibly within a very short time) and has placed a referral with someone from hospice. John and I are in shock because John seems stronger than he has been in a long time. I'm waiting to see what the biopsy results are but finding it hard not to give in to what I'm hearing. I have seen doctors be wrong in stating time frames before and know that only God knows when someone will pass away. Dr. Sardar said that it would be miraculous if John made it through this. I reminded him that the last few months have brought many miracles for John and our family. Dr. Sardar agreed that some time on our knees may be our best idea.
Thank you all for your prayers.
John, Sandie, Chris and Tim

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #896
Master Chef

Oh, Dove, I'm sooooooooo sorry and upset to hear your latest update--- but the will to live and overcome the most pessimistic of doctors goes a long way---my aunt lived 3 years longer than the least doubtful of them....she was a fighter---your family is in my prayers.........please hang in there the best that you all can........
Old 10-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #897
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Then, we've received our marching orders. Buck and will be on our knees for all of you. We'll also put John on our prayer list and that of a valued friend, too. There is power in prayer I've seen. Love and hugs to you all.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #898
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Then, we've received our marching orders. Buck and will be on our knees for all of you. We'll also put John on our prayer list and that of a valued friend, too. There is power in prayer I've seen. Love and hugs to you all.
I'm with Katie and Buck - on my knees. My sister lived way past the time-frame her doctor gave her. I am on my knees praying now.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #899
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I agree completely. My grandfather lived years past what the doctors said (they said 6 months). And how can I not believe in prayer when, at age one month I was given one hour to live?

Marge, you say the doctor is pessimistic. Does he exhibit his pessimism around John? If so, maybe it is time to change doctors. Maybe easier said than done at this point, but John does not need to be surrounded by pessimism right now. Neither does the family. The truth as the doctor knows it, yes, but not a pessimistic attitude.

Barbara
Old 10-03-2007, 11:34 PM   #900
Senior Cook

Dear John, Sandie, Chris, Tim, and Marge,

I will be on my knees as soon as I end this note. The doctor is not God. He can only give a human perspective which is limited. Don't give in to his pessimisstic predicitions. God still sits on the throne and only He is in control....no one leaves this earth until God orders it. John and family, know that you are loved and cared for by the Lord God and by those of us here at DC. The prayers will continue.......