"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
Master Chef

Confused individual.

So I keep getting this messageon my GPS, about outdated maps. It is really annpoing and I think GPS is not working as well as it did before. It takes me on all kind of weird routes, instead of going straight as it did in the past. I think the (the gps makers) build in some special confuser into system so it would not work proparly. To update the map they have one time deal or some kind of universal deal where you get to update the device for ever. But it cost almost as much a s a new one. I have Garmin nuvi 750. I can get the new one for about $120. The udate is $90. The other one is onl $50, but you have to download on you pc or dvd becasue it is too big to download on gps it self. Weird and confusing, of course it could be becasue I was born that way , but maybe there is some techi here who could explain to me what I should do.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

It depends on how long you think you will keep that actual unit and how important very up to date maps are to you.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Master Chef

I don't really drive any fancy places. Nothing new. But like I said, it seems that the directions gps gives now have been pretty lousy. I sereously think it is done on purpose.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Did you check your settings? Most GPS units can let you select the type of route you want it to calculate whether it is the fastest, the one with least milage, the one that avoids highways, etc. If the settings somehow got changed then that could be a reason it is not working the way it used to.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

sorry i don't drive. have no clue.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sounds like Microsoft. Just when they get things going smoothly they make changes that mess it up again just so you'll keep buying the next incarnation hoping for better.

Just like IE8. IE7 with IE7Pro was perfect as far as I was concerned. Once you upgraded to IE8 you weren't allowed to go back to IE7. IE8 is garbage. It crashed constantly. Thanks to Alix and others, I started using Firefox and am happy with my browser again.

I'm sure you are right, that the problems you are having are deliberate so you will have to buy their updates. Greedy people suck.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote