"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Cookbooks of Actors & Actresses: Your Ratings?

Good Afternoon,

Before I sign off on this rainy Sunday, my question is: How do you rate cookbooks of actors & actresses ? Which ones do you own ?

My favorite is Sofia Loren´s ... This is a fine tool for regional Italian, and she takes great pride in her native country´s local ingredients. I have enjoyed her book very much. Sofia is passionate and provides her presenting of her dishes with wonderful care & visual impact.

I was given Gwyneth Paltrow´s last summer as a present ... There are some very good suggestions on meals for young children and easy simple dishes from all corners of the world.

At the moment, these are the only two I have written by performing artists. I love cookbooks, and am always curious ...

Authoress Isabel Allende´s book, Aphrodite which is a recipe book of exotic aphrodisiac recipes, and tropicals is lovely and I have it since its release back in the 1990s.

Look forward to your ratings and views.

Enjoy weekend.
Margi.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Master Chef

I have a few and most are not very good.

I think the oddest one I have was written by Vincent Price and his wife, they traveled the world collecting recipes at some very fine restaurants.

The best one I have was written by Tony Danza, he is a pretty good Italian American cook.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Good Morning Aunt Bea,

Vincent Price ... I am sure he does a better Dracula ... ha ha ... He truly is a Perfect for those classic roles ...

I have not been aware that Tony Danza published a cookbook.

Thanks for the feedback ...

Margi.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Sophia has pasta every day. I don't think she could make a bad dish.

I am leery of celebrity cookbooks. They usually have an agenda such as vegetarian, au natural foods only, etc. They meet a guru on a trip to the middle of the Amazon jungle and think they are now an expert on how to cook bugs and snakes.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Wine Guy

Unless I'm specifically looking for advice on acting, I find that a good rule of thumb is to not take advice from actors/actresses. Being a celebrity doesn't automatically make one an expert on cooking, or anything else for that matter. I'd rather buy a cookbook written by a chef.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Even though I have close to 2,000 cookbooks, I never really actively looked for one done by an actor/actress, so I can't comment. And, the only one I do have is one I purchased at a yard sale. It's a very old Vincent Price one and, after thumbing thoroughly through it, I have to admit I was impressed. However, I was aware before I bought the book that he was a fine cook, which is one of the reasons I bought it.

I agree with Steve, I think it's better to choose books from someone who is truly in the field of cooking, rather than one who adds their "name" to a cookbook because they're a celebrity. Similarly, I don't buy cookware or other goods because they're endorsed by someone "famous."
Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gents,

Firstly, Sophia Loren is knows what she is doing in an Italian Kitchen, as a matter of fact it is quite a good edition for those who love pasta and seafood, shellfish and fish ... ( I do ).

Though I agree and would not go out to buy a cookbook just because an actor or actress wrote it, many are just like we are, have a true enjoyment of cooking and gastronomy in general ...

None the less,

The majority of my cookbooks have been written by Chefs, obviously, and chefs who are or were also Culinary Instructors at well known Culinary Institutes. I also have the Le Cordon Bleu Cookbook Series from the courses I have taken over the years, and the basics, the fundamentals, and the technological side of things and machinery, tools etcetra.

Thanks for all your feedback.
Margi.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Most of my cookbooks are all encompassing in nature, from appetizers to desserts. I do have a few on Mexican, Mediterranean, Spanish and Asian cuisines. Many of my cookbooks are specific to Tapas and Bento. None from "famous" people.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Princess Fiona,

Glad that you have participated. Yes, I too own historical cookbooks, on Italian, Greek, Middle Eastern, Mexican, Iberian Peninsula, USA by region, Japan and France ... off top of head ... However, I like Culinary Artists and Teachers literary works too. As well, as a person who is an artistic chef, too, and not famous.

Have nice evening.
Margi.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Chef Ferrán Adriá ´s Book: Family Meals in English

I highly recommend Chef Adriá´s book FAMILY MEALS in English. It is broken down into complete 3 course meal formats: starters, mains and desserts, with simple in color step by step demonstrations on preparation and presentation. Worthwhile book to have. Its´ recipes include fish, poultry, meats, desserts, rices, pastas, salads, sauces, doughs, pastries and fruit and veggies. Very informative and exemplary source for those who require step by step to enhance skills. Additionally, it has a whole section on Kitch Tools, Kitchenware utensils and Cookware and Measuring.

Available in English: www.amazon.com

*** Does anyone have this book in their libraries and what is your view ?

Have a nice Tuesday.
Margi.

Tags
cookbooks