Cookery Superstitions/Old Wives' Tales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you drop silverware it means you can expect company, a teaspoon a child, a fork a woman, and a knife a man.

Dropping a teaspoon also means you can expect a kiss and another spoon to wash! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

You must always make a hole in the bottom of the shell when you've eaten your boiled egg or a witch will go to sea in it and sink a ship.

Parsley should be planted on Good Friday to ensure it will grow well and also whoever plants it will rule the house for the year.

Red sky at night, shepherd's pie!...No - wait... I might have made that up! ;)

The only way I've been able to save something too salty is to add more unsalted liquid.

It might mess up the rest of the ingredients and spices, but worth a try when you've got a pot of inedible salty food.

Red sky at night, shepherd's pie!...No - wait... I might have made that up! ;)

:LOL: Red sky at night, sailors delight. Red sky in the morn, sailors be warned.

But I do like yours. Sounds like good excuse to make a popular dish that almost everyone likes. :angel:

:LOL: Red sky at night, sailors delight. Red sky in the morn, sailors be warned.

But I do like yours. Sounds like good excuse to make a popular dish that almost everyone likes. :angel:
Ah my post was a pun on "red sky at night, shepherd's delight!"

The only way I've been able to save something too salty is to add more unsalted liquid.

It might mess up the rest of the ingredients and spices, but worth a try when you've got a pot of inedible salty food.
The potato (or potatoes - one isn't enough in a big pot of soup) absorbs the salt as it would when cooking potatoes for dinner. The potato is discarded (or used for something else if you hate waste, like me) when the soup is cooked.

Adding more liquid would dilute the flavour.

The potato (or potatoes - one isn't enough in a big pot of soup) absorbs the salt as it would when cooking potatoes for dinner. The potato is discarded (or used for something else if you hate waste, like me) when the soup is cooked.

Adding more liquid would dilute the flavour.

The potato (or potatoes) absorb the salty liquid. They don't magically extract the salt and leave the liquid behind. You'd have as much success putting a sponge in the soup.

So what do you do if you put too much salt in the water for when you have potatoes boiling for mashed 'taters? :angel:

take some water out, and add unsalted water. bringing it back to a boil is not a problem with potatoes as they have a wide margin of error.

Back
Top Bottom