Cooking at home is too slow :-P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crono760

Cook
I've been in a restaurant kitchen for a few weeks now, and they started putting me on the line. For some reason now, when I try cooking at home...It's so slow! It took me 30 minutes from start to finish for a meal for my family, they were impressed, but I still think I could have shaved off another few seconds:chef:

Mike (who needs to throw 50-seat dinner parties every sunday)

Oh, Mikey-Poo.....

In the words of my grandfather, "Take it easy. Make it nice."

I understand you have gotten used to the rush and hurry of a commercial kitchen.

Now, it's time to "walk through the park" and enjoy the view.

Don't hurry. Just take your time and prepare a wonderful meal for your family. Savor the preparation and eating of it like a fine wine. Life's too short to hurry.

Hey I'm down to an hour and a half on RR's 30 min meals, from 2 hours!
I'd like to see her try those with 3 kids running around.

Suzie, try cooking at my place. FIVE kids running around, yelling, changing the TV channel when they (or I) don't want it changed, PLUS, SIX chihuahua's all yipping and raising Caine.

I've been in a restaurant kitchen for a few weeks now, and they started putting me on the line. For some reason now, when I try cooking at home...It's so slow! It took me 30 minutes from start to finish for a meal for my family, they were impressed, but I still think I could have shaved off another few seconds:chef:

Mike (who needs to throw 50-seat dinner parties every sunday)

Have all your stocks and sauces in tins on the counter and you'll break 20 minutes. :chef:

even if you can cook it quickly, setting your mise en place takes time. The two are not really comparable.

ah, sobering thoughts all. To be fair, my super-quick meal was borne out of necessity: I got home at 6pm and people were hungry :-p.

I do so love to cook at home, but I keep telling people that if we had a six burner gas stove and two full-sized ovens, I'd be a lot happier :)

Mike

even if you can cook it quickly, setting your mise en place takes time. The two are not really comparable.

Shucks! I forgot the <insert sarcasm here> line again. :LOL:

LOL - I was rreferring to the fact that most commercial kitchens have sauces, stocks and alot of other things already prepared for the line. Whereas the home cook needs to make these from scratch, or open a can, or whatever.

Oh, Mikey-Poo.....

In the words of my grandfather, "Take it easy. Make it nice."

I understand you have gotten used to the rush and hurry of a commercial kitchen.

Now, it's time to "walk through the park" and enjoy the view.

Don't hurry. Just take your time and prepare a wonderful meal for your family. Savor the preparation and eating of it like a fine wine. Life's too short to hurry.

Both are sage advise. I "sling" computers and other stuff all day, all week. Weekday meals are as good as I can make them, but, time is certainly a factor. Weekend meals are another matter alltogether. I thouroughly enjoy the time it takes. It is "my time" I do not have folks wanting other things from me while I am cooking. If I do a good job when it is served, "I tell everyone that I am the cooking department, I do not serve.", and everyone sits down for that first bite and someone says - "Great Food". It makes my day.

I ride the train with three chefs, one of which I have gotten to discuss professional cooking with. He tells me that everyone viewes it as big time food netowrk, unfortunately, running a prefessional kitchen brings in the picture of profit and loss and employees, which makes it a very different animal.

Yup! Life is a journey, enjoy the ride.

AC

Back
Top Bottom