"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Master Chef

Cooking, baking or both?

your preference:
-i'm a cook
-i can bake
-i'm great at both
-i'm a sommilier (kidding!) actually, elfie, you're our discusscooking sommilier! :)

i cannot bake. i've tried & tried. it just bores me. too meticulous. too scientific. i've thought of going through pastries classes, i'm just not into baking enough to drop another $40,000 or what pastries would cost, i'm uncertain.
i luv cooking. i adore it. that's why i dropped aforementioned $40,000, actually now, for me as a re-entering student, $60,000.
what is your strong point?

-luvs

Old 04-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I like both and do well at both. I'm a very math-oriented person and enjoy calculating, measuring, etc., so baking comes naturally to me. I'm also a very precise person, which helps too. Either way, the end product is always fun.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Master Chef

katie, i luv the end product, too!
Old 04-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

me too katie, and once you have the basics down, you are free to change a recipe and make it your own. case in point i am going to make cream cheese blueberry muffins later. i will use splenda and maybe whole wheat flour. the flour will make them a bit more dense and certainly better for me. i don't remember my grandmother taking careful measuements when baking. she had the basics down and just did her thing. i love both cooking an baking. equally .
Old 04-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I have never been much on baking. I may make a total of 5 or 6 cakes/pies/cookies in a year, and if I bake bread, it's in a bread machine. Baking is just not my bag.

I do love to cook, and so does my husband. I really enjoy cooking with shellfish, and he really enjoys cooking with red meat. We both like to make soups, stews, and gumbos, so our pots never lack being stirred.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
Master Chef

-i'm great at both

well i do well at both
Old 04-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Head Chef

I do it all, including being the sommelier, and I enjoy it all pretty much equally.

One exception -- I don't make salads, which bores me. I like them, but I find making them to be the culinary equivalent of washing windows.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
Head Chef

Baking I can do--after all, it's just following a formula. I enjoy cooking because I can be creative and mold the recipe to my current mood. I am a sommelier by tutorage and an inclination to drink while eating!
Old 04-22-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I love to cook, making our Sunday goodies is something I look forward to..I love to create a new salad each Sunday and dessert is something I enjoy just for the fun of watching my son in law's face. I love making breads and choosing the menu for my loved ones. Sometimes I even let them choose what to have

kadesma
Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I do it all, including being the sommelier, and I enjoy it all pretty much equally.

One exception -- I don't make salads, which bores me. I like them, but I find making them to be the culinary equivalent of washing windows.
Yeah, salads are drudgery for me, also. The advent of those triple washed organic greens and a good salad spinner has made things a little better. I love eating a well-prepared salad, though. Especially if someone else prepared it.

I bake (nothing fancy: breads and cookies mostly) and everyone enjoys the output. I cook, as well. I always have people telling me I should open a restaurant. Nooooo thanks. I worked in them for years and decided to go to college as a middle-aged person and do something else. I'll confine my culinary activities to my family (which is pretty big!). I really enjoy baking and cooking. I do bake with a scale and am much more precise; I think that comes from having a pastry chef for a son-in-law.