Cooking but not eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
This is a curiousity. Anyone have a friend or acquaintance who loves to cook but hates to eat? I have one, and it makes me a little crazy some times. How can you love to cook, but hate to eat?

I know some folks have a phobea about gaining weight from cooking and sampling. I am the deadly combo of "likes to cook AND eat".

I love to eat and I love to cook, but I usually don't enjoy my own cooking. Consuming foods prepared by others are much more enjoyable.
But perhaps if I was a better cook I would feel differently about it.

Last edited:
When I am working, or entertaining, and make a large meal, I rarely eat it. It is fine making a family meal, but if I have been cooking all day, it just doesn't appeal to me. I know part of it is the tasting, but I think it is also just being around so much food it doesn't appeal to me. When I was at school and apprenticing I lost a ton of weight.

I am sure your friend would eat more if she wasn't cooking, but that is just from my own experience.

Laurie, I'm the same...especially holiday meals. The food tastes good, but by meal time I'm tired of the smell, the taste and everything. However, I LOVE the leftovers later. That is my favorite time. We usually have boocoos of family for Thanksgiving at the farm and I'm so busy that I don't think anyone even notices that I don't eat.

Whipping up a meal and eating is just fine, but yes, when I take all day cooking I have no appetite. Maybe I need a smaller sample spoon...

Oh, I'm not talking about the syndrome of by the time you get a big meal on the table, you aren't hungry ... you've tasted it to death, you know it is good, but you don't want it until a few hours after your guests leave or the next day.

I'm talking about women who, in one case NO ONE has ever seen her eat. Not her own food (good), not anyone's, not restaurant. We once went to a restaurant, she ordered a full meal, pulled a baggie of celery sticks from her purse, nibble on them, and not eat her meal. At all. Another friend tastes about two dabs of things she thinks she might like, and then doesn't eat any more. Both are very good cooks.

By the way, one is very underweight, the other overweight. GO figger!

I'm one who loves to bake, but rarely do i eat what i make. My future husband asked me the other day how come i always bake but never eat what i make...He thinks i'm trying to get him fat...

Oh, I'm not talking about the syndrome of by the time you get a big meal on the table, you aren't hungry ... you've tasted it to death, you know it is good, but you don't want it until a few hours after your guests leave or the next day.

I'm talking about women who, in one case NO ONE has ever seen her eat. Not her own food (good), not anyone's, not restaurant. We once went to a restaurant, she ordered a full meal, pulled a baggie of celery sticks from her purse, nibble on them, and not eat her meal. At all. Another friend tastes about two dabs of things she thinks she might like, and then doesn't eat any more. Both are very good cooks.

By the way, one is very underweight, the other overweight. GO figger!

I cook food I don't eat, but am a vegetarian. I cook meat for friends and family; I choose to not eat it however. it surely must seem odd to observant guests - others never notice (or never mention it) and after so many years of prying questions about my reasons, I am relieved when the latter happens.

There are all kind of reasons folks don't eat. Allergies, phobias, diets, and there are lots of folks out there with eating disorders and each has their own struggle and story. There is a lot of information available both for the individual with the problem and for friends and family members as well here is just one of those resources National Eating Disorders Association

Ever sense I started working crazy work hours, cooking a company meal cuts into my sleep time. So when it is ready I am exhausted. Food is usually like a sleeping pill for me. I got in the habit of just enjoying my company and eating when they all leave. Now that I am working regular day shifts, I hope that will change.

I'm still trying to adapt my work days with cooking meals. All the sudden I have two extra hours each day.

My kids eat here every Sunday and I never eat with them. They have given up asking me, I just got in the habbit of not eating when a med i was taking caused anorexia. I managed to get by it but as far as eating a tiny bite made me feel full. Now if I order something and they bring a big plate full I'm all finished before I can taste it.
kadesma

I apologize for not remembering his name or the title of his book. One about the joys and versatility of rice cookers. A celebrity. Unfortunately struck by cancer that removed his tongue. He got into cooking, as therapy. Although eating was no longer possible, cooking for loved ones and imagining their visceral satiation sustained him. And his interest in the curious appliance that needed a book to explain.

I think cooking is more important than eating

Back
Top Bottom